Introducing myself

Charlotte7598

Hi guys!

I've been checking out this forum on and off for several years but just got around to register. I wanted to introduce myself. My name's Charlotte, I'm 23 years old and have loved Rush since I was about 8. Saw them on Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels, seats weren't great but hey, at least I got to go. I look forward to getting to know everyone here!

• Like 10

Hi, Charlotte. Welcome on here, and nice to meet you, too. Hopefully, you'll be able to find your way around here without any problems, and issues, and at it, have a terrific time, too.
  • Like 2

Hey another younger Rush fan! Welcome to the community! That's exactly the way I think about my one time seeing them as well. Totally back row nosebleed seats, but at least my dad and I got to see them. One of the greatest concerts I'll ever see.
  • Like 2

It's cool you got to see them on R40, I missed that one. S&A I don't remember super well as I was 10 and only knew their popular stuff at that point, but the CA show was great, almost 10 years ago but feels like yesterday. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hey another younger Rush fan! Welcome to the community! That's exactly the way I think about my one time seeing them as well. Totally back row nosebleed seats, but at least my dad and I got to see them. One of the greatest concerts I'll ever see.

• Like 3

It's cool you got to see them on R40, I missed that one. S&A I don't remember super well as I was 10 and only knew their popular stuff at that point, but the CA show was great, almost 10 years ago but feels like yesterday. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Of course! That Clockwork Angels show must've been something special though. All that synth era material, awesome. They barely touched it on R40!

• Like 2

So how do you attach photos or videos to a post? I can't seem to figure it out.

We've got a thread just for this question in regards to photos! It's right here: http://www.therushfo...-photos-to-trf/

As for videos, it's only slightly more complicated. The way I do is this:

1. Click on the "Special BBCode" button in the reply toolbar. I think it looks like a white shelf with some blue/green/yellow objects on it, but it may be more helpful to say it's between the button that looks like an eraser and the "Font" selection box.

2. This brings up a popup window. In the BBCode selection box, scroll down the options and click on "Media." Then, go get the url of the video you'd like to share, and paste it in the "Media URL" text box. With that done, click "OK."

3. It should show up as the URL you copied in-between two bracketed tags, looking something like this: [media(example)]https:/youtu.be/xWdtBJKbM7w[/media(example)] (but without the "(example)"s)

4. The last thing you need to do to embed the video is remove the "s" from the "https" at the start of the URL. Once you've done that, the video should appear in your post rather than just the hyperlink. So it should appear as this:

http://youtu.be/xWdtBJKbM7w

Instead of this:

https://youtu.be/xWdtBJKbM7w

One thing to note is that YouTube videos embedded in other websites, like TRF or Reddit, don't usually count towards the YouTube creator's view count. So if you're trying to get that creator more views, it can be more helpful to just post the hyperlink rather than embed the video here.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Welcome Charlotte7598, there is much to see in these forums!

I also joined late, the history is great when you look around and see the older posts :notworthy:

• Like 2

Glad you decided to join us, it is a fun place. I found it in 2011 when I was just getting into Rush and it has been a great place to learn all kinds of cool stuff about the group and "meet" some real characters.

Welcome! :haz: :rush:

• Like 3

So how do you attach photos or videos to a post? I can't seem to figure it out.

For posting YouTube videos, it is just a matter of copying the link to the video and removing the "s" from "https".

I use Imgur for posting pictures. I think it is easier doing it from a computer rather than from a phone. I get the BBC code link with the "img" tags. It used to be a lot easier to post images here, but the game has changed over the years.

• Like 3

Instead of this:

https://youtu.be/xWdtBJKbM7w

One thing to note is that YouTube videos embedded in other websites, like TRF or Reddit, don't usually count towards the YouTube creator's view count. So if you're trying to get that creator more views, it can be more helpful to just post the hyperlink rather than embed the video here.

You could also just post the link and remove the "s" from "https"

I also looked at the Forums for a while before joining. What was the thing or the trigger that made you want to join?

I like the participation of members discussing life and the band members and the times in life the band was "there for them" type stuff.

Yes the music and songs are worth dissecting in every which way, but it was the more personal stuff that hooked me.

• Like 1

I also looked at the Forums for a while before joining. What was the thing or the trigger that made you want to join?

I like the participation of members discussing life and the band members and the times in life the band was "there for them" type stuff.

Yes the music and songs are worth dissecting in every which way, but it was the more personal stuff that hooked me.

I was significantly affected by Neil's death, that's one thing that made me want to join. I still feel sad about it at times. Their music has literally saved my life (i.e. The Pass.)

Edited by Charlotte7598
  • Like 1

I was standing in my kitchen with the radio on, talking to my brother on the phone. He said "getting a text from (his wife)".

I said "getting a text from (mine)".

We hung up and CBC announced just before dinner, during the "weekly news contest", that Neil had passed away.

I knew they were quiet, R40 had passed and nothing for a time - I was never super tuned in to the band's current events.

It floored me, I literally felt weak because it answered so many questions and simultaneously I realised there would never be a new "new guy" drummer.

They were officially done.

Would you believe, the call number was said again on the radio and I picked up the phone again, still warm from talking to my brother.

"We have (so and so) on the line, how are you?" asked the contest host. I said something about feeling shaky, never having called in to a radio show before.

I got the first question right, then the second. He said something about me killing it and I said it was Neil's blood coursing through my veins giving me energy.

I got the next two correct.

I have a CBC Toque, Mug, Tote Bag and Button. All of them because of Neil.

I once said to Lorraine that the delivery of my Art Of Rush book arrived the day I heard of her sickness, and it is dedicated to her.

Many aspects of this band are tied into many aspects of my life.

I was a young boy delivering newspapers on cold winter mornings, The Globe And Mail, in Willowdale, and often played 2112 on my Sony Walkman.

Every note, every part of a song etched into my brain. I knew I would be a part of this band for the rest of my life!

• Like 1