Top Ten Albums Of The Year: 2021

Segue Myles

I went in to this year intending to be so over prepared for this! Lol. I gave up on my challenge of listening to one new album every week within a couple months, but I have listened to a lot of great stuff. I'll need some time to put it into a ranking, but I think I can still manage a top ten well enough.

Mastodon will rank higher than Dream Theater I think.

The first few that spring to mind for me (and just in the order they come into my head) are -

Mastodon - Hushed & Grim

Iron Maiden - Senjutsu

Dream Theater - A View From The Top Of The World

Drifting Sun - Forsaken Innocence

Styx - Crash Of The Crown

I'm sure some more will pop into my head later.

• Like 1

Okay I'll do what Zepphead did and list a few (let's do 5) that I think will make my top ten first:

Mastodon - Hushed And Grim

Olivia Rodrigo - Sour

Styx - Crash Of The Crown

Weezer - OK Human

Dream Theater - A View From The Top Of The World

• Like 2

I'll be interested to see what others post -- it'll give me something to listen to next year (but not Olivia Rodrigo; no, not that).

As for my list, my preferences fossilized years ago, and other than Senjutsu, I don't know if I listened to a new album this year.

• Like 2

In no particular order (I can't get to 10):

Iron Maiden - Senjutsu: Fantastic album. The Parchment is too damn long. Rest of it is excellent 21st century Maiden

Dream Theater - A View From The Top Of The World: The rebellious sibling of Distance Over Time. They cut loose on this album and it works well.

CHVRCHES - Screen Violence: I highly encourage rock/metal fans to try this one and their debut album. It's synthpop but the music is very interesting. I'd kill for an all-instrumental version of this.

The Pineapple Thief - Nothing But The Truth: Feels a bit like cheating because it's a live album, but these guys sound incredible live, and the set list is awesome.

Liquid Tension Experiment - LTE3: If you liked older LTE you'll like this. If you didn't, you probably won't. I'm in the former camp.

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites: I hated To The Bone, but oddly enough really enjoy this one.

Most underwhelming? Foo Fighters - Medicine At Midnight. They went way too hard into "dance-rock". I applaud them for trying new things but it just didn't hit this time.

My favorite "new discovery" this year has to be Riverside, a prog band from Poland

Edited by The Analog Cub
  • Like 1

1. Foo Fighters-Medicine At Midnight

2. Steve Lukather-I Found the Sun

3. Taylor Swift-Fearless (Taylor's Version)

4. Olivio Rodrigo-Sour

5. Styx-Crash of the Crown

6. John Mayer-Sob Rock

7. . Night Ranger-ATBPO

8. Iron Maiden-Senjutsu

9. Mastodon-Hushed and Grim

10. Dream Theater-A View from the Top of the World

i have like 3 more that would have made my favs but you wanted ten so ill stick too it. this is not in fav order. i did releaase order (or close too it, lo) to make it easier.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

1. Mick and the Dripping Big Dicks - Oil it up?

2. Segue and Siege Mentality Maniacs - Puffy Man

3. Entre_Perpetuo and the Pink Holes - Big Butt Harvest

4. Zepphead - Latin Dizzy Divas Greasy on My Plate

5. The Analog Cub Club - Peanut Shaped Outie Asshole

6. Nova Carmina - Oh Christ What am I Doing on This f***ed-Up List?

7. ReRushed - Halloween Out Of Season Ass Lanterns

8. Turbine Freight - Venezuelan Girlfriends All Around Me

9. Rick N. Backer - Doctor Please Remove My Tongue From This Butthole After 29 Hours

10. J2112YYZ - Boobs That Drive My Wind Turbines I Can Live With

• Like 5

9. Rick N. Backer - Doctor Please Remove My Tongue From This Butthole After 29 Hours

It's been a vintage year! :joker:
  • Like 3

It's been a vintage year! :joker:

It has!

• Like 1

Hey I made the top 3! Lol.

• Like 2

Iron Maiden - Senjutsu: Fantastic album. The Parchment is too damn long. Rest of it is excellent 21st century Maiden

Dream Theater - A View From The Top Of The World: The rebellious sibling of Distance Over Time. They cut loose on this album and it works well.

CHVRCHES - Screen Violence: I highly encourage rock/metal fans to try this one and their debut album. It's synthpop but the music is very interesting. I'd kill for an all-instrumental version of this.

The Pineapple Thief - Nothing But The Truth: Feels a bit like cheating because it's a live album, but these guys sound incredible live, and the set list is awesome.

Liquid Tension Experiment - LTE3: If you liked older LTE you'll like this. If you didn't, you probably won't. I'm in the former camp.

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites: I hated To The Bone, but oddly enough really enjoy this one.

Most underwhelming? Foo Fighters - Medicine At Midnight. They went way too hard into "dance-rock". I applaud them for trying new things but it just didn't hit this time.

My favorite "new discovery" this year has to be Riverside, a prog band from Poland

Totally forgot I've ben meaning to check that Chvrches album out. I got their last one off the strength of Get Out, and it's not amazing but I dug it well enough, plus every review I read said all their other stuff is a lot better.

I'm also reminded Rise Against - Nowhere Generation came out this year, and that's a stellar release.

Also, I'm with Mick. Medicine At Midnight is one of the best albums of the year. Go Dave Grohl.

Totally forgot I've ben meaning to check that Chvrches album out. I got their last one off the strength of Get Out, and it's not amazing but I dug it well enough, plus every review I read said all their other stuff is a lot better.

I'm also reminded Rise Against - Nowhere Generation came out this year, and that's a stellar release.

Also, I'm with Mick. Medicine At Midnight is one of the best albums of the year. Go Dave Grohl.

figures the album that turns me on too the foos and barely anyone likes it.......screw them you and i are right EP.

lol

Mick

• Like 1

Hey I made the top 3! Lol.

The Big Butt Harvest was bountiful this year!

• Like 2

I'll do five for now:

1. Spellling - The Turning Wheel

2. Mastodon - Hushed and Grim

3. Turnstile - Glow On

4. Take Over and Destroy - Fade Out

5. Unto Others - Strength

You almost made my top 10 with your Stormtron and the Crack Ass Bastards - Bloody Bloomers on a Strawberry Soakfest Afternoon album!

• Like 3

figures the album that turns me on too the foos and barely anyone likes it.......screw them you and i are right EP.

lol

Mick

I'm playing it now!

Oddly, this is one of those times where the song that the radio picked up has kinda become my least favorite, just from overexposure. Waiting On A War. The build at the end is still fantastic though.

• Like 1

I'll do five for now:

3. Turnstile - Glow On

Oh shoot that Spelling album. I need to revisit. But I remember loving it!

• Like 1

I'll be interested to see what others post -- it'll give me something to listen to next year (but not Olivia Rodrigo; no, not that).

As for my list, my preferences fossilized years ago, and other than Senjutsu, I don't know if I listened to a new album this year.

I bought quite a few records this year. Nothing released in 2021 mind you, but some of them were released this millenium :blush:
  • Like 3

I'll do five for now:

3. Turnstile - Glow On

I can't get enough of it. Shit's a little Beatles...little bit Bowie...bit of John Carpenter even thrown in. My wife loves this one too.

• Like 1

I'll do five for now:

3. Turnstile - Glow On

I can't get enough of it. Shit's a little Beatles...little bit Bowie...bit of John Carpenter even thrown in. My wife loves this one too.

Gave it a listen based on TheNeedleDrop's glowing review. Totally prog and arty in the way I love. Had to just buy it after one listen.

• Like 1

I don't think I've bought ten new albums in a year since the 90s :/

You don't need to buy them to listen to them once just to form an opinion though.

Twelve, in no particular order. Will think about which two to demote

Detroit Stories - Alice Cooper

Native Sons - Los Lobos

Jump For Joy - Gary Louris

Treasure Of Love - The Flatlanders

Heavy Load Blues - Gov't Mule

Gotta Have The Rumble - Brian Setzer

Time Clocks - Joe Bonamassa

Freeze! - The Aristocrats

Dreamers Are Waiting - Crowded House

Hardware - Billy Gibbons

Smith/Kotzen - Smith/Kotzen