Fender Custom Shop Geddy Lee Jazz bass

maxbeckmann

hello all,

yep. the gear acquisition syndrome struck again.

except this time, a guy is selling a "mint" Fender Custom Shop Geddy Lee Jazz bass.

back in 2014, only 50 were made.

the guys claims the instrument has never been gigged and has been properly stored for years.

he clearly bought it as an "investment" and now he is trying to cash on it.

he's asking 10,000 $CAN (7777 $USD).

that's a lot of money, but i've dreamed of this bass since forever.

i know for sure that he is trying to sell that instrument for months on kijiji, here in canada. sometimes, the ad disappear for a couple of week and would reappear.

he says he is "firm" on the asked price and he is clearly in no rush to sell.

my question is : is he asking a "fair" price ? do you consider custom shop instrument as valuable as it seems to be ? should i engage a discussion with the guy on price ?

i'm interested to read your thoughts on this.

in advance, many thanks.

mB

Do you know how much they cost when they were first introduced? Also, where is this guy selling it? If it's on a site like eBay you have some level of protection. You'd need to do some research to confirm its authenticity.

on talkbass forum i saw this bass sold for 3500 to 5000 back in 2017-2018.

almost 8000 $USD in 2021 ? i don't know. i can't figure.

as for your comment on protection, i would sure take my precaution. the guy is selling in the greater toronto area and i am about 600km from there.

I wouldn’t pay that. I’d get an American Geddy jazz unless you’re buying it to just look at it. IMO, the American Geddy is the best jazz Fender makes, including custom shop.
  • Like 1

Do you know how much they cost when they were first introduced? Also, where is this guy selling it? If it's on a site like eBay you have some level of protection. You'd need to do some research to confirm its authenticity.

I could be wrong, but the OP may be referencing a listing on Reverb.

What I find odd is that he says he is selling due to medical reasons, but was in no hurry to sell.

At the asking price, you may be able to have the FCS build it cheaper. I am unsure since I do not have a FCS.

That said, Adrian Maruszczyk might build you something close to that for less as well.

I could be wrong, but the OP may be referencing a listing on Reverb.

What I find odd is that he says he is selling due to medical reasons, but was in no hurry to sell.

At the asking price, you may be able to have the FCS build it cheaper. I am unsure since I do not have a FCS.

That said, Adrian Maruszczyk might build you something close to that for less as well.

here's the ad i'm talking about

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/fender-custom-shop-1972-geddy-lee-jazz-bass-2014-black-relic/1595172674

Comparing apples to Oranges here. This year I bought a 1983 vintage Stenberger, a prototype. Restored, refretted. Besides 1 small ding it's like out of the factory condition. It's not a 1 of a kind, but it's close.

3 grand USD.

Comparing that to a 2014 custom shop Jazz for 8 grand? Nope. Seems like a lot for a 2014 Jazz. Even if Geddy himself played it onstage, or signed it or something.

Just my opinion.

Edited by grep

here's the ad i'm talking about

https://www.kijiji.c...elic/1595172674

Thank you for the correction.

With respect to that bass, that may be someone trying to get their money back.

from a "philosophical" point of view, does a fender custom shop that rare is supposed to gain value, let's say, when geddy will leave the surface of the earth ?

i mean, if that guy bought it in 2014 for 7000 $, is he legit to ask 10 000 $ seven years later ?

Possibly.

In the case of this bass, I would be a very bad judge. I am not interested in a custom shop replica of the 72 jazz that is the 2010s version. At that price, you could find the real thing cheaper (not that it is period correct; pearl guards were never stock but a black body with a white guard and maple fingerboard with pearl block inlays were available in 1974 at least).

That price may be a little on the high side. But one of the questions you must have pondered is, "How long before another appears on the market?", along with, "Can I wait, and hope someone needs to unload one to raise cash at a lower price?" There were only 50 produced, so it's not exactly an active market.

The essential question must be whether you are looking for a return on investment yourself, or is this particular model a must-have for you? This determines what's fair to you in a free market. If, instead, you're chasing the sound of Geddy's '72 Jazz Bass, then you may find it more economical to pursue a different path.

Considering the potential investment, I'd think it absolutely worth your while to make the drive to Toronto in person, give it a look-see in person. It would also be nice if the seller still has his bill of sale, which might help assure you that it's not hot property. Perhaps the seller did not keep the receipt. Not everyone is a great record keeper. But that would be another level of self-protection. Pro tip: Never tell a stranger you're going to show up with lots of cash at location of his choosing. (Not that this listing looks particularly dodgy. Just generally good advice.)

As has been mentioned earlier, you might consider a USA Geddy Lee, get an estimate of your dream JB through the custom shop, or any number of other options. Or follow Geddy's path: find a nice, used JB, pop a Badass II or Fender HiMass bridge on there, and . . .

Here's a little secret for ya . . . this is the guy who makes Geddy's JB pickups: http://tombrantleyrewinds.com/geddy-lee-jazz-bass-pickups

Best wishes!

• Like 1

You could find an original one for less money that's got real history and its own story.

I don't get some of the Custom Shop stuff.

Fender CS are some of the most over-priced instruments out there. A simple example- no CS team built strat is better than the Eric Johnson strat that normal Fender make. No CS that I've played has been as good as 82-85 Fullerton ReIssues.

I also hate their absolute reliance on reinventing relicing. Relicing is the story of an instrument and its life, not a posh frock.

However, no doubt it'll appreciate and as an artist sig, it'll be good. I sold my Gilmour CS Strat in 2013 for £2200. They're making £7k now. I hated the neck though.

Edited by Gassage

Relicing is the story of an instrument and its life, not a posh frock.

I'm with you on this strange 'relic' instrument movement (apart from signature offerings). Why would I want to pay a premium for a pre-beaten instrument? Perhaps it is perceived as a path for those who have cash burning a hole their wallet to instant musical street cred.

When visiting a car dealership, does anyone say to the salesman, "Look, if you take a sledgehammer and chain to the body panels of this new car, I'll pay an additional $30k"?

Edited by dream & vapour
  • Like 3

I'm with you on this strange 'relic' instrument movement (apart from signature offerings). Why would I want to pay a premium for a pre-beaten instrument?

Amen to that. Now an artist paint job, that's another story. I might consider for example paying a bit more for a Ricky that has Paul McCartney's Beatles era paint on it.

Edited by grep

I'm with you on this strange 'relic' instrument movement (apart from signature offerings). Why would I want to pay a premium for a pre-beaten instrument? Perhaps it is perceived as a path for those who have cash burning a hole their wallet to instant musical street cred.

When visiting a car dealership, does anyone say to the salesman, "Look, if you take a sledgehammer and chain to the body panels of this new car, I'll pay an additional $30k"?

Yeah, I’ve seen this with ‘torrefied’ acoustic guitars…like if I want to have a ‘new’ guitar that looks like a Martin D-28 all beaten up from 85 years of playwear, and pay five figures for it- I might as well seek out an actual vintage Martin D-28, and pay five figures for it.