Anne Rice (1941-2021) Gothic author extraordinaire

Principled Man

Beginning with Interview With The Vampire, Rice became a hugely popular author of novels about vampires, witches, mummies, ghosts...and even erotica.

Her most poignant character in that first novel was Claudia, a 5-year old vampire "who can never die". Rice's own daughter, Michele, died of leukemia when she was five.

Rice went on to have a long, prosperous career, selling millions of copies of her stories, which ranged from Gothic horror to historical fiction to erotic novels (under the names Anne Rampling and A. N. Roquelaure.

My personal favorite was The Witching Hour, a marvelous story about a family of New Orleans witches and the malevolent spirit that haunted them for centuries.

25237.jpg

• Like 5

I read The Vampire Lestat when I was a teen & really loved it. I am joyful for Ms. Rice, she had a great career and was so very successful. She even did a good deed for Louisiana by adding to the tourism appeal of the state, which, let's be honest.......the state needs the money.

Another creative great leaves us. There's a public memorial event planned for her in the near future, according to her son.

• Like 3

I didn’t know of her until I heard Sting’s “Moon Over Bourbon Street”, which was based on “Interview With The Vampire.”

I then read her first 5 Vampire novels, her Mayfair Witches trilogy and a couple of others. Excellent storytelling. :haz:

• Like 3

....she was right about Tom Cruise being miscast in the first place.

But after she saw the film, she changed her mind. She said Cruise was great. She also said that Brad Pitt as Louis did nothing for her.

She changed her opinions about a few things as the years went by, and she wasn't afraid to talk about it.

• Like 1

I’ve been a fan of her work for a lot of years. I have all of her books. Got to meet her during her Servant of the Bones book tour. She was a very sweet lady.
  • Like 3