GENESIS

Laurabw

So has anyone seen them on this Last Domino tour? Todd Sucherman was raving about it on his Instagram the other night and also some other fb peeps.

(And yes, I know Phil sits in a chair, we don't need to go over that again.)

I Took a look at the setlist it was pretty good.

• Like 3

I haven't read you post but I'm letting you know I'm seeing them in a week with my dad! Very excited, trying to avoid setlist spoilers as much as possible. Once I recover from the concert experience I'll return to this thread.
  • Like 4

I watched a documentary on this tour. Filmed in Europe.

Before watching this dvd I was so excited that I bought a ticket to see Genesis in Chicago.

Bought my plane ticket and got a nice room downtown for this event.

Upon watching the dvd and then viewing some of the live stuff on Youtube I decided to pass on this tour for now.

Perhaps if they come to California I will go.

The light show looks like a Rush show on HGH, but I just can't stomach seeing Phil like that.

I was really excited to see see Nic play the drums too, but I cancelled.

Also didn't want to be in airports and a closed in Arena still with Covid still a reality.

I am so glad I didn't go after seeing the set list for North America. They put "Misunderstanding" in the set. I fuckking hate that song!

Anyway, hope whoever goes to these shows has a great time. Poor Phil. So sad. Please retire Legend.

• Like 2

There seemes to be a total split in opinions on the whole thing -

Some say ... 'hey it's Genesis live! OK Phil is past his best, looking very frail and seated, but still did a reasonable job'.

Others say .... 'I don't want this sub-standard version of Genesis to be my last memory of them - I want to remember them while they were great'.

Having watched some of the Youtube stuff ...... personally I would not want to go and see them like that. Steve Hackett's current live show would be a much better representation of a 'classic' Genesis sound.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 5

I haven't read you post but I'm letting you know I'm seeing them in a week with my dad! Very excited, trying to avoid setlist spoilers as much as possible. Once I recover from the concert experience I'll return to this thread.

I look forward to a concert review!

I saw them in Toronto last Friday. Totally worth going! It was so much better than I expected based on previous discussion. Phil is frail, but he can still sing and the background singers finish off seamlessly where Phil can't hit the notes. He is an engaging "master of ceremonies" throughout. His son Nic is very good as the new drummer. Not just nepotism - he fits the songs perfectly. They cover a good mix of prog and pop era songs. The lighting and sound were top notch. If I could figure out how to post photos I would. Rutherford, Banks and Steurmer are total pros. I went in with low expectations and came away very happy that I went. They played over 2.5 hours! Edited by Syrinx
  • Like 5

It's amazing how different all the reviews are. I only saw them once in the 80s. I'm watching some of the YouTube videos now.
  • Like 2

Laura, I didn't see, and haven't seen "Genesis - the Last Domino? Tour". There wasn't, and hasn't been a Vancouver date. If I was going to see them in person on this their latest tour, then maybe, one of the Toronto dates scheduled on Nov. 25, and 26. I haven't watched any of it on the Youtube.com website. I've seen them in concert on their "We Can't Dance Tour" in Vancouver, 1992. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

I enjoyed it. The crowd was into it also. Yeah, Phil is beat up for sure, it's hard to miss, but they all sounded great and Nic was fantastic at the kit. I hope you have fun!

• Like 8

The setlist blows, especially if it is the FINAL tour for them. 12 songs from the Genesis, Invisible Touch, and We Can't Dance albums.

"Fading Lights"? WTF????

An acoustic section? f**k that.

Nothing from Abacab? double f**k that

Edited by Mithrandir

Others say .... 'I don't want this sub-standard version of Genesis to be my last memory of them - I want to remember them while they were great'.

This is pretty much why Pratt wanted to stop touring. To go out on top.

It's nice to look back and remember that no Rush show was substandard (barring tech issues).

• Like 2

Preliminary review, immediate impressions!

I loved it! The set list is a decent balance of pop and prog, as it should be. Sure there are “more” pop songs, but the prog songs are *longer*, duh! Sat on the floor and the lights and sound were totally fantastic, just a very professional, very well choreographed show. I actually really dig the idea of Phil sitting on his little barstool, his wrinkled visage spouting ancient wisdom to the world like a dying prophet! Lol. It was a really great atmosphere, and as Syrinx said in that astoundingly accurate review (much kudos), the backup singers blend in where Phil goes a bit out of his range and carry the notes to their proper ends. And Phil within his range sounds excellent. Perfectly well sung each and every song, even a capella at one point towards the end! Some guy next to us got my dad and my hopes up about a song they didn’t wind up playing, and that was the only bad thing I can recall. If you don’t care for Genesis after 1974, this probably isn’t going to do it for you, but they did play a fair bit of Peter stuff to appease those who go that far back. I would definitely recommend to anyone who can approach it with an open mind.

• Like 2

I loved it! The set list is a decent balance of pop and prog, as it should be. Sure there are “more” pop songs, but the prog songs are *longer*, duh! Sat on the floor and the lights and sound were totally fantastic, just a very professional, very well choreographed show. I actually really dig the idea of Phil sitting on his little barstool, his wrinkled visage spouting ancient wisdom to the world like a dying prophet! Lol. It was a really great atmosphere, and as Syrinx said in that astoundingly accurate review (much kudos), the backup singers blend in where Phil goes a bit out of his range and carry the notes to their proper ends. And Phil within his range sounds excellent. Perfectly well sung each and every song, even a capella at one point towards the end! Some guy next to us got my dad and my hopes up about a song they didn’t wind up playing, and that was the only bad thing I can recall. If you don’t care for Genesis after 1974, this probably isn’t going to do it for you, but they did play a fair bit of Peter stuff to appease those who go that far back. I would definitely recommend to anyone who can approach it with an open mind.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
  • Like 3

yes, me too! The stage show was excellent.

• Like 3

Nice review also! Mithrandir your loss!

• Like 2

Nice review also! Mithrandir your loss!

Not really. I don't like the setlist, so why would I be excited?
  • Like 1

Laura, I didn't see, and haven't seen "Genesis - the Last Domino? Tour". There wasn't, and hasn't been a Vancouver date. If I was going to see them in person on this their latest tour, then maybe, one of the Toronto dates scheduled on Nov. 25, and 26. I haven't watched any of it on the Youtube.com website. I've seen them in concert on their "We Can't Dance Tour" in Vancouver, 1992.

I saw the We cant Dance Tour" 1992 in Boston....It was great. I'll be back in Boston the 16th of this mouth to see Genesis...final Tour.

• Like 1

Fwiw, there was never a time I thought about going to a Genesis concert. Their tickets have always been super expensive and as a fringe fan I'd have only vague interest even if they were cheap. Just not a "must see live" band IMHO. [noting that I'm only old enough to have seen them first on the Invisible Touch tour, the success of that album and expansion of their fanbase sealed the fate for me to ever see them] Edited by stoopid

Fwiw, there was never a time I thought about going to a Genesis concert. Their tickets have always been super expensive and as a fringe fan I'd have only vague interest even if they were cheap. Just not a "must see live" band IMHO. [noting that I'm only old enough to have seen them first on the Invisible Touch tour, the success of that album and expansion of their fanbase sealed the fate for me to ever see them]

ii only saw them once in the 80s, but always liked Duke a lot. And I guess nowadays with so many of the bands that I either grew up with or listened to all through high school and college, whenever I hear that their touring days are coming to an end I try to catch them once last time.

chair sitters included, lol.

• Like 4

Phil was only ever dynamic when behind the kit, and he's sitting for that as well. David Lee Roth or Steven Tyler sitting in a chair might be a bit much.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Phil was only ever dynamic when behind the kit, and he's sitting for that as well. David Lee Roth or Steven Tyler sitting in a chair might be a bit much.

Totally!

:7up: Nice announcement from the Genesis camp today! :7up:

Genesis has announced a career-spanning box set compiling material recorded for the BBC.

BBC Broadcasts will be released on March 3 in 53-track five-CD and 24-track three-LP versions, collecting sessions recorded by the band between 1970 and 1998. The set features contributions from all three of the group's lead singers: Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins and Ray Wilson.

Skip Ad

You can see the full track listing below.

The BBC recorded Genesis many times over the years, including radio broadcasts and in-studio sessions. However, the band has released only some of this material; their 2008 box set Genesis 1970-1975, for example, included three early songs ("Shepherd," "Pacidy" and "Let Us Now Make Love") tracked for the BBC Night Ride program in February 1970. All three also appear on BBC Broadcasts.

Nick Davis, who has worked frequently with Genesis as a producer, engineer and surround-sound mixer, first teased the BBC box set in late September. He and founding keyboardist Tony Banks curated the collection, which is packaged with a 40-page booklet.

"So, there is BBC stuff coming out, especially that Lyceum gig, which is very good," he told Fairfax City Music. "It’s a lot of material, some from very early all the way through to the very end, I think. … There’s no multitracks, so there’s only stereo or mono. It’s mastering, trying to make it sound as good as we can. Sometimes it’s sonically compromised, but I think all of it sounds OK."

Genesis also worked with the BBC for the 2014 documentary Genesis: Together and Apart, which featured a reunion interview with the classic '70s quintet: Gabriel, Collins, Banks, Mike Rutherford and Steve Hackett. Seven years after that project, the band’s popular trio lineup (Banks, Rutherford and Collins) reunited onstage for The Last Domino?, their first tour since 2007.

Amid that trek, since described as their farewell run, Genesis released the 2021 best-of package The Last Domino? - The Hits, which mirrors the tour’s standard set list.

Genesis, 'BBC Broadcasts' Track Listing

CD 1
1) "Shepherd" - Night Ride 1970 (previously released on Genesis Archive 1967–75)
2) "Pacidy" - Night Ride 1970 (previously released on Genesis Archive 1967–75)
3) "Let Us Now Make Love" - Night Ride 1970 (previously on Genesis Archive 1967–75)
4) "Fountain Of Salmacis" - Paris 1972
5) "Musical Box" - Paris 1972
6) "Stagnation" - Sounds Of ‘70 1971 (previously released on Genesis Archive 1967–75)
7) "Harlequin" - Peel Jan 1972
8) "Get Em Out By Friday" - Peel Sept. 1972
9) "Harold The Barrel" - Peel Sept. 1972
10) "Twilight Alehouse" - Peel Sept. 1972
11) "Watcher of the Skies" - In Concert 1975

CD2
1) "Squonk" - Knebworth 1978
2) "Burning Rope" - Knebworth 1978
3) "Dance On A Volcano" - Knebworth 1978
4) Drum Duet - Knebworth 1978
5) "Los Endos" - Knebworth 1978
6) "Deep In The Motherlode" - Lyceum 1980
7) "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight" - Lyceum 1980
8) "Carpet Crawlers" - Lyceum 1980
9) "One For The Vine" - Lyceum 1980
10) "Behind The Lines" - Lyceum 1980
11) "Duchess" - Lyceum 1980
12) "Guide Vocal" - Lyceum 1980
13) "Turn it On Again" - Lyceum 1980
14) "Dukes Travels" - Lyceum 1980
15) "Dukes End" - Lyceum 1980

CD 3
1) "Say It’s Alright Joe" - Lyceum 1980
2) "The Lady Lies" - Lyceum 1980
3) "Ripples" - Lyceum 1980
4) "In The Cage" - Lyceum 1980
5) "The Raven" - Lyceum 1980
6) "Afterglow" - Lyceum 1980
7) "Follow You, Follow Me" - Lyceum 1980
8) "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" - Lyceum 1980
9) "The Knife" - Lyceum 1980
10) "Mama" - Wembley 1987 (previously released on Genesis Live 1973-2007)
11) "Domino" - Wembley 1987 (previously released on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)

CD 4
1) "That’s All" - Wembley 1987(previously released on Genesis Live 1973-2007)
2) "The Brazilian" - Wembley 1987 (previously released on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
3) "Throwing It All Away" - Wembley 1987 (previously on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
4) "Home By The Sea" - Wembley 1987 (previously on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
5) "Second Home By The Sea" - Wembley (previously on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
6) "Invisible Touch" - Wembley 1987 (previously on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
7) Drum Duet - Wembley 1987 (previously on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
8) "Los Endos" - Wembley (previously on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
9) "Not About Us" - NEC 1998
10) "Dividing Line" - NEC 1998

CD5
1) "No Son of Mine" - Knebworth 1992
2) "Driving The Last Spike" - Knebworth 1992
3) "Old Medley" - Knebworth 1992
4) "Fading Lights" - Knebworth 1992
5) "Hold On My Heart" - Knebworth 1992
6) "I Can’t Dance" - Knebworth 1992

• Like 6

On 1/12/2023 at 1:09 PM, The Cat 3 said:

:7up: Nice announcement from the Genesis camp today! :7up:

Genesis has announced a career-spanning box set compiling material recorded for the BBC.

BBC Broadcasts will be released on March 3 in 53-track five-CD and 24-track three-LP versions, collecting sessions recorded by the band between 1970 and 1998. The set features contributions from all three of the group's lead singers: Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins and Ray Wilson.

Skip Ad

You can see the full track listing below.

The BBC recorded Genesis many times over the years, including radio broadcasts and in-studio sessions. However, the band has released only some of this material; their 2008 box set Genesis 1970-1975, for example, included three early songs ("Shepherd," "Pacidy" and "Let Us Now Make Love") tracked for the BBC Night Ride program in February 1970. All three also appear on BBC Broadcasts.

Nick Davis, who has worked frequently with Genesis as a producer, engineer and surround-sound mixer, first teased the BBC box set in late September. He and founding keyboardist Tony Banks curated the collection, which is packaged with a 40-page booklet.

"So, there is BBC stuff coming out, especially that Lyceum gig, which is very good," he told Fairfax City Music. "It’s a lot of material, some from very early all the way through to the very end, I think. … There’s no multitracks, so there’s only stereo or mono. It’s mastering, trying to make it sound as good as we can. Sometimes it’s sonically compromised, but I think all of it sounds OK."

Genesis also worked with the BBC for the 2014 documentary Genesis: Together and Apart, which featured a reunion interview with the classic '70s quintet: Gabriel, Collins, Banks, Mike Rutherford and Steve Hackett. Seven years after that project, the band’s popular trio lineup (Banks, Rutherford and Collins) reunited onstage for The Last Domino?, their first tour since 2007.

Amid that trek, since described as their farewell run, Genesis released the 2021 best-of package The Last Domino? - The Hits, which mirrors the tour’s standard set list.

Genesis, 'BBC Broadcasts' Track Listing

CD 1
1) "Shepherd" - Night Ride 1970 (previously released on Genesis Archive 1967–75)
2) "Pacidy" - Night Ride 1970 (previously released on Genesis Archive 1967–75)
3) "Let Us Now Make Love" - Night Ride 1970 (previously on Genesis Archive 1967–75)
4) "Fountain Of Salmacis" - Paris 1972
5) "Musical Box" - Paris 1972
6) "Stagnation" - Sounds Of ‘70 1971 (previously released on Genesis Archive 1967–75)
7) "Harlequin" - Peel Jan 1972
8) "Get Em Out By Friday" - Peel Sept. 1972
9) "Harold The Barrel" - Peel Sept. 1972
10) "Twilight Alehouse" - Peel Sept. 1972
11) "Watcher of the Skies" - In Concert 1975

CD2
1) "Squonk" - Knebworth 1978
2) "Burning Rope" - Knebworth 1978
3) "Dance On A Volcano" - Knebworth 1978
4) Drum Duet - Knebworth 1978
5) "Los Endos" - Knebworth 1978
6) "Deep In The Motherlode" - Lyceum 1980
7) "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight" - Lyceum 1980
8) "Carpet Crawlers" - Lyceum 1980
9) "One For The Vine" - Lyceum 1980
10) "Behind The Lines" - Lyceum 1980
11) "Duchess" - Lyceum 1980
12) "Guide Vocal" - Lyceum 1980
13) "Turn it On Again" - Lyceum 1980
14) "Dukes Travels" - Lyceum 1980
15) "Dukes End" - Lyceum 1980

CD 3
1) "Say It’s Alright Joe" - Lyceum 1980
2) "The Lady Lies" - Lyceum 1980
3) "Ripples" - Lyceum 1980
4) "In The Cage" - Lyceum 1980
5) "The Raven" - Lyceum 1980
6) "Afterglow" - Lyceum 1980
7) "Follow You, Follow Me" - Lyceum 1980
8) "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" - Lyceum 1980
9) "The Knife" - Lyceum 1980
10) "Mama" - Wembley 1987 (previously released on Genesis Live 1973-2007)
11) "Domino" - Wembley 1987 (previously released on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)

CD 4
1) "That’s All" - Wembley 1987(previously released on Genesis Live 1973-2007)
2) "The Brazilian" - Wembley 1987 (previously released on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
3) "Throwing It All Away" - Wembley 1987 (previously on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
4) "Home By The Sea" - Wembley 1987 (previously on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
5) "Second Home By The Sea" - Wembley (previously on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
6) "Invisible Touch" - Wembley 1987 (previously on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
7) Drum Duet - Wembley 1987 (previously on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
8) "Los Endos" - Wembley (previously on Live At Wembley Stadium DVD)
9) "Not About Us" - NEC 1998
10) "Dividing Line" - NEC 1998

CD5
1) "No Son of Mine" - Knebworth 1992
2) "Driving The Last Spike" - Knebworth 1992
3) "Old Medley" - Knebworth 1992
4) "Fading Lights" - Knebworth 1992
5) "Hold On My Heart" - Knebworth 1992
6) "I Can’t Dance" - Knebworth 1992

That Duke show has been a favorite of mine for a while now. It's great to finally have it officially released. Wish there were more than the two token Ray Wilson tracks though.

• Like 1