Worst band that ever opened for Rush?

laughedatbytime

I'm not sure whether this belongs here or in MOTS so please move if it makes sense to do so, but I saw a tweet this morning that in 1981, Girlschool opened for Rush and that got me to thinking of this question.

Any other contenders?

Jon Butcher Axis (Signals Tour)

The concert review in the next day's newspaper was clear and concise. Jon Butcher Axis showed everything that can be bad about a power trio, and Rush showed everything that can be great about a power trio.

Just waiting for someone to write "Primus sucks!".

It's interesting to note that after late '96, Rush had no opening act. There were a couple multiple act shows in there, but no true opening act.

Which has led me to ponder, "Which band opened the most shows for Rush?" Off the top of my head, I'd guess Max Webster. Both Primus and Mr. Big opened many shows, but there was a time when Rush and Max Webster were like a blended family.

Dunno, but the BEST opener was definitely Eric Johnson on the RTB tour.

I paid full money to see him play three more times in the years that followed.

I saw a show last month where that happened at in 1991.

Too bad no one taped it, or circulated it around.

The concert review in the next day's newspaper was clear and concise. Jon Butcher Axis showed everything that can be bad about a power trio, and Rush showed everything that can be great about a power trio.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Jon Butcher Axis was a quartet.

Just waiting for someone to write "Primus sucks!".

It's interesting to note that after late '96, Rush had no opening act. There were a couple multiple act shows in there, but no true opening act.

Which has led me to ponder, "Which band opened the most shows for Rush?" Off the top of my head, I'd guess Max Webster. Both Primus and Mr. Big opened many shows, but there was a time when Rush and Max Webster were like a blended family.

Max was great.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Jon Butcher Axis was a quartet.

They started out as a quartet, but guitarist Sandy Higgins left around 1980.

At Radio City Musical Hall we really didn't care for Marillion.

Yeah..I heard about that. LOL.

We didn't care much for Fastway either at MSG the next year. P/G tour. Almost booed them off the stage.

Ha...I was there for opening and closing nights...so,you were part of the booing gang?...never understood the booing for a opening act...we all sat through an opening act..right,we're there for the headliner, but just to be respectful doesn't cost you anything ...I'm sure Rush got a bad vibe from it.

Ha...I was there for opening and closing nights...so,you were part of the booing gang?...never understood the booing for a opening act...we all sat through an opening act..right,we're there for the headliner, but just to be respectful doesn't cost you anything ...I'm sure Rush got a bad vibe from it.

I’m not proud of it today but yes I was a participant.

Jon Butcher Axis showed everything that can be bad about a power trio, and Rush showed everything that can be great about a power trio.

It's funny -- musical power trios rarely last long. Even when popular, they have short lifespans.

Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, Nirvana, Sublime, etc, etc etc. More than I can name. Either one dies, or they split up for better gigs, or sometimes they add members (as Rush was tempted to do).

The exceptions: Green Day, Primus, and of course Rush. They all clocked 30+ years.

Muse is almost there too.

Edited by Weatherman
  • Like 2

Jon Butcher Axis showed everything that can be bad about a power trio, and Rush showed everything that can be great about a power trio.

It's funny -- musical trios rarely last long. Even when popular, they have short lifespans.

Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, Nirvana, Sublime, etc, etc etc. More than I can name. Usually they break up, or sometimes add members (as Rush was tempted to do).

The exceptions: Green Day, Primus, and of course Rush. They all clocked 30+ years.

You missed the longest lasting trio of all, ZZ Top. Formed in 1969 and the original 3 guys lasted together until the death of Dusty Hill this year.

• Like 5

It's funny -- musical trios rarely last long. Even when popular, they have short lifespans.

Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, Nirvana, Sublime, etc, etc etc. More than I can name. Usually they break up, or sometimes add members (as Rush was tempted to do).

You missed the longest lasting trio of all, ZZ Top. Formed in 1969 and the original 3 guys lasted together until the death of Dusty Hill this year.

And now it's most likely Zebra. Same 3 guys since 75.

Next I think would be U2.

Edited by grep

U2 is a quartet.

U2 is a quartet.

Yeah, I know. I guess I got to thinking about longest run with all original members, which would put U2 as one of the longest tenured bands.

But yeah, I'll say it again - since we're talking about power trios that last a long time:

Zebra_band.jpg

• Like 1

Worst that I've seen personally was probably Mr. Big and Vinnie Moore in the ten years before the "evening with" shows.

I purposely arrived late to the show Mr. Big opened and got there just as they were finishing what turned out to be their last song. I still think it would have been much better than Marillion.

Worst that I've seen personally was probably Mr. Big and Vinnie Moore in the ten years before the "evening with" shows.

I purposely arrived late to the show Mr. Big opened and got there just as they were finishing what turned out to be their last song. I still think it would have been much better than Marillion.

Marillion was the best opened for Rush I've ever seen. Seeing them live made me a HUGE fan. Would have been great to see Steve Morse (but I still would rather see Marillion) Eric Johnson and Primus but got screwed over by Mr. Big and Vinnie Moore on the east coast.

Marillion was the best opened for Rush I've ever seen. Seeing them live made me a HUGE fan.

I didn't get around to finding Marillion until 2009 or so. Wow, hell of a band. I knew about them, but never listened. Believe it or not, it was because of the RCMH booing..every night. I thought all those years that they got booed because they were weird, or not good prog or something. Man, was I wrong.

Edited by grep