RPG: Nursery Cryme vs. Main Course

Entre_Perpetuo

choose one  

12 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Genesis - Nursery Cryme
    • Bee Gees - Main Course
  2. 2. band

Seems like an absurd match up...but when you think about how much From Genesis To Revelation sounds like the Bee Gees, it really isn't.

Main Course is a pretty great record...Nights On Broadway is, as the kids say, the shit. As a side note, I really enjoyed the relatively recent documentary on the Bee Gees. More than I thought I might.

But Nursery Cryme is the birth of something extraordinary. I actually think it's a less consistent album than Main Course. There is some pretty weak stuff on it - I don't dislike any of it, but to me there are 3 tiers of work on it. 1 - forgettable, innocuous songs like For Absent Friends and Harlequin, which are fine but just leave your head immediately after listening to them. 2 - proggy, but very dated, slightly silly things like Harold The Barrel and Return of the Giant Hogweed. (I know some people really adore Hogweed...and there is some great playing on it, but I don't think it has aged well at all.) 3 - classics that point the way to greatness, which is Fountain Of Salmacis and of course The Musical Box.

So even though I kinda think the Bee Gees is a "better" record all around... Nursery Cryme, for about 20 minutes, is astoundingly brilliant. So it wins.

• Like 1

Seems like an absurd match up...but when you think about how much From Genesis To Revelation sounds like the Bee Gees, it really isn't.

Main Course is a pretty great record...Nights On Broadway is, as the kids say, the shit. As a side note, I really enjoyed the relatively recent documentary on the Bee Gees. More than I thought I might.

But Nursery Cryme is the birth of something extraordinary. I actually think it's a less consistent album than Main Course. There is some pretty weak stuff on it - I don't dislike any of it, but to me there are 3 tiers of work on it. 1 - forgettable, innocuous songs like For Absent Friends and Harlequin, which are fine but just leave your head immediately after listening to them. 2 - proggy, but very dated, slightly silly things like Harold The Barrel and Return of the Giant Hogweed. (I know some people really adore Hogweed...and there is some great playing on it, but I don't think it has aged well at all.) 3 - classics that point the way to greatness, which is Fountain Of Salmacis and of course The Musical Box.

So even though I kinda think the Bee Gees is a "better" record all around... Nursery Cryme, for about 20 minutes, is astoundingly brilliant. So it wins.

Interesting take!

• Like 1

No song battle? Nights On Broadway is better than anything Gabriel-era Genesis put out.

(A Lorraine connection I'll have forever)

I don't always do song battles. Just depends on the matchup.