A Show of Hands - Rush Replay X 3 DVD - Crap audio

currygoat11

Just one example of how the audio is crap on Rush Replay X 3 DVD

Compare: The snare at the word 'bang' is completely drowned out in (either) some kind of horrible compression effect or digital clipping.

Now listen to the original laserdisc audio:

And this isn't youtube compression. I listened to the DVD too. I know it's been many years since this 'remastered' DVD came out (2006) but thought I would remind.

Edited by currygoat11
  • Like 3

Just one example of how the audio is crap on Rush Replay X 3 DVD

Compare: The snare at the word 'bang' is completely drowned out in (either) some kind of horrible compression effect or digital clipping.

Now listen to the original laserdisc audio:

And this isn't youtube compression. I listened to the DVD too. I know it's been many years since this 'remastered' DVD came out (2006) but thought I would remind.

Yup. It's shame. The original recording will likely be lost forever in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

The entire Replay set has utterly atrocious audio. Blame Rick Chycki, the man butchered it.

Just torrent a copy of the laserdisc and watch that. The video is only a slight downgrade, while the audio is a MASSIVE upgrade. Plus, you get Lock and Key.

• Like 3

I really wish they just did a remaster of the film footage and left the original audio mixes intact. Grace Under Pressure Live and A Show Of Hands sounded great and Exit Stage Left was awesome too. But it’ll never happen. All the money is being made on the anniversary editions of the albums.
  • Like 2

I really wish someone who cared about the band were in charge of their catalogue. ESL was shot on 35mm film, and according to someone over at the Steve Hoffman forum who worked on the Lighted Stage documentary, the original film elements still exist, sitting in cans in a warehouse. It's a prime candidate for an HD (or even 4k) restoration. Yes, it would cost some money, but that kind of work is being done all the time for all sorts of old films, most of which have far fewer guaranteed viewers than ESL would have.

But we'll never see that, because Rush for many years has been a minimum expense, maximum revenue sort of operation...

• Like 2

But we'll never see that, because Rush for many years has been a minimum expense, maximum revenue sort of operation...

Even Kiss would be impressed at how Rush have abandoned all pretense of being anything other than a corporate greed machine.

I really wish someone who cared about the band were in charge of their catalogue. ESL was shot on 35mm film, and according to someone over at the Steve Hoffman forum who worked on the Lighted Stage documentary, the original film elements still exist, sitting in cans in a warehouse. It's a prime candidate for an HD (or even 4k) restoration. Yes, it would cost some money, but that kind of work is being done all the time for all sorts of old films, most of which have far fewer guaranteed viewers than ESL would have.

Prime candidate for someone in venture capital to get involved.

• Like 1