Music Podcasts?

Timbale

I am a big podcast listener...I thought it would be cool to create a thread where people could suggest good ones to share!

I got the idea to do it as I just started listening to Producing The Beatles by Jason Kruppa. I know a fair amount about The Beatles - have watched the Anthology series a few times and read a handful of books on them - but already 2 episodes in I have learned stuff I did not know. The podcast focuses on George Martin's contribution through production...and I think would be fascinating to anyone who is interested in studio techniques...

I would also mention Song Exploder, hosted by Hrishikesh Hirway. I believe it has been turned into a Netflix show...I can't comment on that, as I haven't seen it...but the podcast does a great job of picking apart one song, from composition to recording, with the artist involved.

Please share any that you are digging!

The only one I listen to is Song Vs. Song featuring Todd "In The Shadows" Nathanson and Alina Morgan. Every couple weeks they pit two songs against each other for about an hour decide which one is better. Some great ones so far have been Freebird vs. Stairway To Heaven, Crazy Train vs. Back In Black, What's My Age Again vs. Pretty Fly For A White Guy, Freak On A Leash vs. Nookie, and many more. Not exclusively rock either, but I tune in to the rock episodes more often.
  • Like 2

Throwback Podcast - Great for xennials like me and the hosts of the show, Dan Hanzus and Bob Castrone. They cover a lot of 80s, classic rock and 90s alt rock that we grew up with as teens.

Why I Hate This Album

Your Favorite Band Sucks - Opinions are hit and miss. They missed with :rush: , obviously. I even enjoy some episodes of bands I don't hate since they've done some stuff that hasn't been good at times and I can see why people hate them. Looking at you, latter day Billy Corgan! Agreed with them on how overrated Nirvana are.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Throwback Podcast - Great for xennials like me and the hosts of the show, Dan Hanzus and Bob Castrone. They cover a lot of 80s, classic rock and 90s alt rock that we grew up with as teens.

Why I Hate This Album

Your Favorite Band Sucks - Opinions are hit and miss. They missed with :rush: , obviously. I even enjoy some episodes of bands I don't hate since they've done some stuff that hasn't been good at times and I can see why people hate them. Looking at you, latter day Billy Corgan!

I will never ever understand what possessed Billy Corgan to cover Landslide. He can make all of the weird, synth pop, concept album suite messes he wants in my book. Just stay away from covering great singers.

Why I Hate This Album

Your Favorite Band Sucks - Opinions are hit and miss. They missed with :rush: , obviously. I even enjoy some episodes of bands I don't hate since they've done some stuff that hasn't been good at times and I can see why people hate them. Looking at you, latter day Billy Corgan!

I will never ever understand what possessed Billy Corgan to cover Landslide. He can make all of the weird, synth pop, concept album suite messes he wants in my book. Just stay away from covering great singers.

They’re hit or miss. It’s understandable Destination Unknown and Dreaming sounded electronic since Jimmy got kicked out but there’s no excuse for Rock On. When you make me prefer the Michael Damian one, you know you’ve screwed up even with the WACF references in there.

"Who Cares About the Rock Hall" is great.

I listened to an episode of that recently because it featured one of the hosts of the podcast I mentioned above as a guest star. Very entertaining, loved the dynamic between the two hosts. I definitely lean towards Kristen's more anti RRHOF perspective myself, but that provides plenty of room for discussion amidst the bashing of the stupid decisions they always make. I don't think I'll ever let them off the hook for failing to induct Yes before Chris Squire passed away. Iirc, they did nominate Yes in the following year, but then still didn't induct them until the year after that! Lunatics. As if I didn't already know the only reason Genesis got in first was because of the pop years. And it's not even like Yes didn't have a big pop career, just not as big and totally pop as Genesis'. Ugh!

• Like 1

Something For Nothing is 2 guys who talk about Rush topics and sometimes have guests on that were associated with Rush. I've only listened to a few of them but it's kind of entertaining.

Rush podcast

Thanks! I have a few friends that have suggested that one but none of us had actually listened to it, lol. Glad to hear it's decent.

• Like 1

Some of these sound like they would be worth the time to listen. I don't have a podcast to recommend but I have enjoyed Rick Beato's YouTube channel. I like his segments on what makes this song so good...

• Like 3

Some of these sound like they would be worth the time to listen. I don't have a podcast to recommend but I have enjoyed Rick Beato's YouTube channel. I like his segments on what makes this song so good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P-yUOlOC5M&list=PL54ggFZMKOzQn72ZzPO3hnUVIj78Zuuee&index=64

I really enjoy his youtube channel, too! He has turned me on to stuff I didn't know...and the way he tears some aspects of modern pop apart are wonderful. I just watched his review/reaction to Adele's new single... and it is such a joy to watch someone so grateful for a great song and performance.

• Like 1

Something For Nothing is 2 guys who talk about Rush topics and sometimes have guests on that were associated with Rush. I've only listened to a few of them but it's kind of entertaining.

Rush podcast

Thanks! I have a few friends that have suggested that one but none of us had actually listened to it, lol. Glad to hear it's decent.

I only listen to them when they have a cool guest. The two guys who host it are pretty boring and don't have a lot of chemistry so when they just do album breakdowns it doesn't hold a lot of interest to me.

• Like 1

A girl I work with is a big podcast listener. She wrote some down for me to check out. Today I listened to History of the 90s - Woodstock 99 and Grunge - Part 1 episodes. Both were great! Found out stuff I didn't know. Listening to Grunge Part 2 tomorrow!
  • Like 4

Rush podcast

I only listen to them when they have a cool guest. The two guys who host it are pretty boring and don't have a lot of chemistry so when they just do album breakdowns it doesn't hold a lot of interest to me.

That's how I am with podcasts. Usually depends on the guests.

• Like 2

It's only on Youtube but I've been getting into Tastes Like Music lately. One of them has :rush: as their favorite band as you can see on their wall of album covers. Seen their Rush discography ranking as well as Van Halen, Billy Joel and Pearl Jam so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVhccZEGeqg&t=3659s

Edited by invisible airwave