Best cheap beer

steelcaressed

When you are low on cash, which cheap beer do you get?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. When you are low on cash, which cheap beer do you get?

• Miller high life
    • lite
    • milwaukee's beast
    • pabst
    • Iron City
    • Schlitz
    • Any fo'ty
    • Any malt liquor fo'ty
    • Blatz
    • Budweiser
    • Hurricane
    • Coors
    • MGD
    • Black Label
    • Red white and blue
    • Busch
    • Other

In college, it was Keystone Light 062802puke_prv.gif

Now, no cheap beer fo' me! Unless provided at a party...but I'd almost rather skip altogether.

My boyfriend drinks Michelob Light, but I don't think it's considered cheap, more middle of the road.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great bar here in NYC on Chambers St called 'The Patriot' - Fridays its $1 cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon ice cold. Not a bad deal considering if you tell the bartender its your birthday she'll light two birthday candles on her ta-tas and sing to you.

Wait, what was this thread about again?

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Oct 25 2007, 04:16 PM)
Now, no cheap beer fo' me!  Unless provided at a party...but I'd almost rather skip altogether.

That's my gameplan as well. If there's no good beer, it's on to Plan B: Tequila! patron.gif

My boyfriend drinks Michelob Light, but I don't think it's considered cheap, more middle of the road.

Michelob may be more expensive than Budweiser, but it's no less "cheap." Anheuser-Busch, the makers of both Bud and Michelob, have done a wonderful job marketing Michelob as a classy, expensively-produced beer with a snobby, ritzy-sounding name. However, it's made pretty much the same way as their other crappy beers. They say it's an "all malt lager," but the first thing you smell when you twist off that cap is corn -- corn is known as an adjunct grain in beer making circles, a cheap grain used in place of more expensive grains to keep production costs down. Michelob -- it's all in the marketing. wink.gif

Because of that marketing, some people in the U.S. think Michelob is imported. Years ago I was at a restaurant and I asked the waitress what kind of imported beers they had. She said, "Beck's, Heineken, Amstel, and Michelob."

I replied, "Michelob isn't imported."

"Oh, sure it is!"

"No, it isn't. It's made here in the U.S. by Anheuser-Busch, the makers of Budweiser."

"...It is?"

"Yep."

"Oh..."

"I'll have water, please."

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 25 2007, 09:42 PM)

That's my gameplan as well. If there's no good beer, it's on to Plan B: Tequila! patron.gif

patron.gif should always be part of your game plan. cool.gif

Years ago I was at a restaurant and I asked the waitress what kind of imported beers they had. She said, "Beck's, Heineken, Amstel, and Michelob."

That's better than "LOTS" as the answer from the waitress. laugh.gif

Edited by Digital Man

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Oct 25 2007, 03:32 PM)
Great bar here in NYC on Chambers St called 'The Patriot' - Fridays its $1 cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon ice cold. Not a bad deal considering if you tell the bartender its your birthday she'll light two birthday candles on her ta-tas and sing to you.

Wait, what was this thread about again?

Cool. I'll remember this for my next trip to NY. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Oct 26 2007, 09:59 AM)

Years ago I was at a restaurant and I asked the waitress what kind of imported beers they had. She said, "Beck's, Heineken, Amstel, and Michelob."

That's better than "LOTS" as the answer from the waitress. laugh.gif

That waitress in Cinci was dumb enough to not know if Hooters served wings. wacko.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 25 2007, 08:42 PM)
Now, no cheap beer fo' me!  Unless provided at a party...but I'd almost rather skip altogether.

Michelob may be more expensive than Budweiser, but it's no less "cheap." Anheuser-Busch, the makers of both Bud and Michelob, have done a wonderful job marketing Michelob as a classy, expensively-produced beer with a snobby, ritzy-sounding name. However, it's made pretty much the same way as their other crappy beers. They say it's an "all malt lager," but the first thing you smell when you twist off that cap is corn -- corn is known as an adjunct grain in beer making circles, a cheap grain used in place of more expensive grains to keep production costs down. Michelob -- it's all in the marketing. wink.gif

Because of that marketing, some people in the U.S. think Michelob is imported. Years ago I was at a restaurant and I asked the waitress what kind of imported beers they had. She said, "Beck's, Heineken, Amstel, and Michelob."

"Oh, sure it is!"

"No, it isn't. It's made here in the U.S. by Anheuser-Busch, the makers of Budweiser."

"...It is?"

"Yep."

"Oh..."

biggrin.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't Budwiser use rice in their beers. I had read somewhere that Miller uses corn and Bud uses rice. I also heard that Rolling Rock uses rice too, and I get the same horrible head ache from Rolling Rock and Bud.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 26 2007, 01:57 PM)

"Oh, sure it is!"

"...It is?"

"Yep."

"Oh..."

biggrin.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't Budwiser use rice in their beers. I had read somewhere that Miller uses corn and Bud uses rice. I also heard that Rolling Rock uses rice too, and I get the same horrible head ache from Rolling Rock and Bud.

Yes, Bud uses rice, another adjunct grain not found in quality berrs. I was referring to Michelob using corn.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 26 2007, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 26 2007, 01:57 PM)

"Oh, sure it is!"

"...It is?"

"Yep."

"Oh..."

biggrin.gif

Yes, Bud uses rice, another adjunct grain not found in quality berrs. I was referring to Michelob using corn.

That would explain why Michelob doesn't mess me up like Bud. I don't drink Michelob much though. There is much better beer out there for the price.

bud, but i don't drink cheap beer trink38.gif

After decades of drinking beer i've realized there's not much difference in quality between beer. Some small breweries that appear out of nowhere can have bad stuff, but there's not much difference between major breweries products. Labels and nationalism are big reasons for an individuals preference. Try to give a Canadian a Michelob, and you're likely to hear a five minute rant on how Canadian beer is light years ahead of American, how there's more alcohol in Canadian beer (a falsehood) to try to justify the $40 case price tag. Whatever. When i'm over in America, I pick up a thirty pack of Genny Light, and leave happier than a pig in slop.

QUOTE (Dave @Lakeside @ Dec 19 2007, 01:52 PM)
After decades of drinking beer i've realized there's not much difference in quality between beer. Some small breweries that appear out of nowhere can have bad stuff, but there's not much difference between major breweries products. Labels and nationalism are big reasons for an individuals preference. Try to give a Canadian a Michelob, and you're likely to hear a five minute rant on how Canadian beer is light years ahead of American, how there's more alcohol in Canadian beer (a falsehood) to try to justify the $40 case price tag. Whatever. When i'm over in America, I pick up a thirty pack of Genny Light, and leave happier than a pig in slop.

Nothing personal, but they may be something wrong with your taste buds.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 19 2007, 02:05 PM)
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.

That's the Warsteiner slogan!

And for the record, Warsteiner goes down pretty easy if you know what I mean! trink38.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 19 2007, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (Dave @Lakeside @ Dec 19 2007, 01:52 PM)
After decades of drinking beer i've realized there's not much difference in quality between beer.

That observation MIGHT apply to the beers listed in this poll...otherwise, I think you need to try some better beers. trink39.gif

Would you add Molson, Labatts and Sleeman products in with that group? I would.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Dec 19 2007, 02:08 PM)

And for the record, Warsteiner goes down pretty easy if you know what I mean! trink38.gif

Really? I honestly didn't know that, it just popped in my head. I think I tried a Warsteiner in Cinci this summer with 1-0-0-1, can't quite remember what he was drinking.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 19 2007, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Dec 19 2007, 02:08 PM)

Really? I honestly didn't know that, it just popped in my head. I think I tried a Warsteiner in Cinci this summer with 1-0-0-1, can't quite remember what he was drinking.

Warsteiner rocks 1022.gif

QUOTE (All The World's Indeed A Sta @ Mar 25 2008, 08:25 PM)
I voted Busch Light. $15.00 for a 30 of Busch Light is just to good of a deal for a poor 20 year old college kid to pass up haha. So i have drank so much of that junk in the past 2 years that i have grown immune to it's taste.

It was Milwaukee's Best...affectionately known as "The Beast" when I was in college. At the time, $2.00 would get you a 12 pack, but you would have to check in the car for the $.08 sales tax.

I haven't drank one in about 18 years (thank god.)