What's the best "comeback" / "return to form" / "late career surprise" album by a band who's "golden years" had passed?

Entre_Perpetuo

It seems to me this forum gets very excited any time a classic artist who has been dormant or inconsistent for a long time releases something new that actually lives up to their classic material. We've seen it with Judas Priest's Firepower, Styx's The Mission and Crash Of The Crown, Rush's own Clockwork Angels, and more. But who do you think really had the greatest late career revitalization?

First one that comes to mind is Firepower by Priest. i didn't like the last couple and firepower melted my face!!!!

and the new Dream Theater honestly i know i lot adore distance.....not me.....i mean it's fine but......meh, lol

and i HATE TA so i consider this a major comeback.

Mick

• Like 5

First one that comes to mind is Firepower by Priest. i didn't like the last couple and firepower melted my face!!!!

and the new Dream Theater honestly i know i lot adore distance.....not me.....i mean it's fine but......meh, lol

Mick

I feel like this is going to be between Firepower and The Mission for many.

• Like 1

Mick

i forgot the mission!!!!! I mean STYX was for all intents a dead band for a decade plus. than they do that?????!!!! COME ON!!!!!

i was stunned.

Mick

• Like 3

Mick

i forgot the mission!!!!! I mean STYX was for all intents a dead band for a decade plus. than they do that?????!!!! COME ON!!!!!

i was stunned.

Mick

I never expected to see a new Styx album since I got into them. Furthermore I didn't think I would even want one without DeYoung back in the band... then The Mission came out and started getting these absolute rave reviews... I had to give it a try. Bought it immediately.

• Like 2

Blue oyster cults recent is magnificent too.

the last couple before werefine. the Symbol remains was like a shot of adrenaline. i loved it.

Mick

I still need to hear it, but I'm not too well versed in BOC in the first place. I have three albums, though I really like all of them: Secret Treaties, Agents Of Fortune, and Imaginos.

• Like 1

Styx being my favorite band ever, I'm inclined to go with them, but I can't stress enough how awesome Kansas' last 2 albums are. For me it's between those 2
  • Like 5

Mick

I liked Redeemer Of Souls, so I was expecting Firepower to be pretty good. But I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near as good as it is. There was no reason to think that Priest was going to come out with such a high level album that late into their career. It belongs in the conversation with all of their most classic material.

• Like 4

the last couple before werefine. the Symbol remains was like a shot of adrenaline. i loved it.

Mick

I still need to hear it, but I'm not too well versed in BOC in the first place. I have three albums, though I really like all of them: Secret Treaties, Agents Of Fortune, and Imaginos.

EP trust me you'll LOVE the Symbol Remains.

Mick

• Like 2

It`s all relative, but Dylan was pretty much done in most people`s eyes by the mid-80s. The astonishing thing is not that he tops the charts with his albums over the last 20 years, but he has reinvented himself so often. If he was ploughing the same furrow that he was in the 60s, then the fanbase - those that are still alive - could explain that, but that he so different in every way now and 80 years old is truly inexplicable.

Neil Young, similarly, had a strange 1980s. I like those records but I don`t think it was expected that he`d come back with Freedom and Ragged Glory and then be the "godfather of grunge" through the 90s and now a determined ecowarrior (that can occasionally make good tunes).

• Like 3

Lynyrd Skynyrd`s return to the studio in 1991 was a surprise (albeit predicted by the 1987`s Tribute Tour). But they were desperately short of the magic the name deserves, so I`m not calling that a success.

Mick

EP trust me you'll LOVE the Symbol Remains.

Mick

I'll have to find it!

Black Sabbath (Heaven & Hell) released in my opinion two great comebacks records. The first one being with Dio as the singer, the record called The Devil You Know. Such a great record! And then they did a second "comeback" with Ozzy, their record called 13. Sadly it was no Bill Ward on drums, but it was still a great record that sounded much like early Black Sabbath / Paranoid era of Black Sabbath.
  • Like 2

I agree with everything in this thread about the newer Styx, Priest, and Kansas material. BOC too.

For your consideration: The last 3 Cheap Trick records. Their output since 2015 has been really good.

Edited by grep

Toto XIV let's me say.

they did mindfields in 98......an ok record but too long and bloated for my taste.

than a nothing covers album.

Then Faling in Between.......again fine but nothing outrageous.

than comes XIV. the return of Joseph williams in front and it's just classic Toto through and through. David Paitch had come back.....Steve Porcaro was back fully after decades. it felt like Toto was a full band again. minus Jeff, and mike......but close as they got and it was wonderful. oh and bobby kimball but who cares about him (as you can tell not huge on Bobby, lol)

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Toto XIV let's me say.

they did mindfields in 98......an ok record but too long and bloated for my taste.

than comes XIV. the return of Joseph williams in front and it's just classic Toto through and through. David Paitch had come back.....Steve Porcaro was back fully after decades. it felt like Toto was a full band again. minus Jeff, and mike......but close as they got and it was wonderful. oh and bobby kimball but who cares about him (as you can tell not huge on Bobby, lol)

Mick

Toto just behind Rush , are my joint 2nd favourite group of all time... level with Van Halen and even ahead of

Dream Theater , Zep & Maiden !

Very under-rated & misunderstood musicians

( especially here in the UK )

Devil’s Tower off their ‘ Old is New ‘ album kicks ass ! :-)

How do you feel about the recent Luke & Joseph solo albums ?

( I prefer both of these over the ‘ new ‘ live album which showcase’s the new line-up

.... although I’m very glad that Luke & Joseph want to continue touring for as long as they can )

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
  • Like 1

Toto XIV let's me say.

Mick

Toto just behind Rush , are my joint 2nd favourite group of all time... level with Van Halen and even ahead of

Dream Theater , Zep & Maiden !

Very under-rated & misunderstood musicians

( especially here in the UK )

Devil’s Tower off their ‘ Old is New ‘ album kicks ass ! :-)

How do you feel about the recent Luke & Joseph solo albums ?

( I prefer both of these over the ‘ new ‘ live album which showcase’s the new line-up

.... although I’m very glad that Luke & Joseph want to continue touring for as long as they can )

old is new is great too. great companion to XIV. Luke's new Album kicks ass. I didn't play joe's as much but i love it too.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

How could i forget Meat Loaf Bat out of Hell II

has a massive smash with bat the first. it's a surprise smash. than has years and years (to the public not me) of dud after dud.

get's back with Steinman for Bat II......Smash again!!!!!! this fukkin' record saturated EVERYTHING in 93/94. this is in the US not Europe they loved him in Europe

This dude had 2 once in a lifetime events, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I think in terms of meeting the criteria set by the title of the thread .... two albums stand way out there -

Styx - The Mission

Blue Oyster Cult - The Symbol Remains

In both cases the bands should be way past their glory days ....... endlessly treading the boards on the 'greatest hits' nostalgia circuit ....

but ....

they have both produced albums of new material right up there with the best of their golden days.

• Like 5