Is It Me, Or Is Coffee Lately Weak Crap?

pjbear05

Lately it seems the coffee I'm making-or buying-tastes watered down and weak.

I go for a dark, heavy brew, but it's no long turning out that way. I'm going big on French Roast and Sumatran, and switched from a Mr. Coffee to a plug-in percolator, but still no luck.

Not sure if the next step is to break out the mini cappucino machine and fine ground espresso and go full bore or try different coffee/brewing method, or what. Any ideas out there?

I've bought Sprouts coffee a couple of times. The Ethiopia one really blew my mind.

Went on the website, have a store within very reasonable driving distance, and most of the bulk beans are going for $10/lb. Definitely worth looking into.
  • Like 1

I think I found a solution: Get a decent coffee maker instead of a cheapo. Going to a appliances store to look at a Braun, as opposed to a Po'S Mr. Used Dishwater. May cost me a Franklin, but worth it.
  • Like 1

Turned out a real coffeemaker was the trick. Picked up a Braun KF6050 and tried it out. Coffee was back to dark, strong, and flavorful. Only drawback was the measuring spoon for the coffee was miniscule, barely a level tablespoon of grounds for a 5 oz. "cup" of coffee. I knew that wasn't working and reverted to my old device which is closer to 2 tablespoons. Ah, success! The Braun is a full bore 1000 watt machine, as opposed to the cheapos which are anywhere from 650-800W, which was a deciding factor.
  • Like 1

I've bought Sprouts coffee a couple of times. The Ethiopia one really blew my mind.

Went on the website, have a store within very reasonable driving distance, and most of the bulk beans are going for $10/lb. Definitely worth looking into.

Following up; Thanks for the tip, IA, Sprouts is great. A lot more openly spaced than Whole Foods, with a huge selection of bulk foods, candies, graiins etc., and a far superior bulk coffee selection. Ended up with their Jamaican blend whole bean, smooth, rich, and dark, but without the over roasted, almost burnt taste of French Roast. Concocting various whole bean mixes for future consumption is going to be fun. Also grabbed some deli meats and popcorn kernels for snacking later on.

Often when people start with, "is it just me..." it's usually them. :P

I kid, i don't even drink coffee.

I'm 52 and I've never had a cup in my life. I couldn't tell you.

You two guys need to get "woke," and by that I mean set up the timer on a coffee maker to brew a pot for when you get up in the morning. Other than bacon, there is no better aroma to get woke to. :coffee::P

• Like 3

This summer and so far lasting into fall, ice coffee has surpassed my regular hot cup of joe. I had an ice coffee with my breakfast an hour ago, am I identifying as a woman now?

Can't be arsed with coffee unless it's instant as it's too much faffing about...give me a nice strong cup of tea anytime.

Tea drinkers are special people here. My personal observation has been a special subset of people...

Oh we're "special" alright...

• Like 1

Can't be arsed with coffee unless it's instant as it's too much faffing about...give me a nice strong cup of tea anytime.

Tea drinkers are special people here. My personal observation has been a special subset of people...

I think tea gets a bad rap in the US because we're introduced to it through shit tea. Like many forms of cocktails and liquors, I was taken aback when I first tried "good" tea (I do like tea) and how much better it tasted.

• Like 1

I think tea gets a bad rap in the US because we're introduced to it through shit tea. Like many forms of cocktails and liquors, I was taken aback when I first tried "good" tea (I do like tea) and how much better it tasted.

Yeah, that's true....though you have us beat in many ways with regard to food, in all my trips to the US I haven't been able to find a decent cup of char....

• Like 1

Yeah, that's true....though you have us beat in many ways with regard to food, in all my trips to the US I haven't been able to find a decent cup of char....

It has to be seeked out and is truly a specialty item that may only be found in a "fancy" restaurant. Otherwise people order the better tea and have it delivered to their homes. Maybe go door to door next time :)

• Like 1

It has to be seeked out and is truly a specialty item that may only be found in a "fancy" restaurant. Otherwise people order the better tea and have it delivered to their homes. Maybe go door to door next time :)

If you are interested in decent tea, I can recommend the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yorkshire-Tea-Bags-1-875-bags/dp/B07JXK2C7V/ref=asc_df_B07JXK2C7V/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310533941985&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3181458314299909615&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007346&hvtargid=pla-566530185280&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Punjana-Tea-Bags-440-bags/dp/B01F29TSOC/ref=asc_df_B01F29TSOC/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310547898199&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13515759443227173121&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007346&hvtargid=pla-585814707328&psc=1

Not sure if you can et them in the US but both are cheap and really pretty good.

• Like 1

If you are interested in decent tea, I can recommend the following:

https://www.amazon.c...sc=1&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.c...814707328&psc=1

Not sure if you can et them in the US but both are cheap and really pretty good.

Thanks!

I recall an early 60's TV commercial of a gentleman enoying a cup of tea. In it he says, "I'm not English, I don't have a cold, and I'm not a weak little old lady. I prefer a good strong cup of tea."

In the eating establishments here in South FL, iced tea is a year-round staple.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

I recall an early 60's TV commercial of a gentleman enoying a cup of tea. In it he says, "I'm not English, I don't have a cold, and I'm not a weak little old lady. I prefer a good strong cup of tea."

In the eating establishments here in South FL, iced tea is a year-round staple.

That's great.

In the southern United States, I've observed that people drinking iced tea is really just an excuse to drink copious amounts of sugar.

It is normal when someone orders iced tea for the waitperson to ask "sweetened or unsweetened?" Southern sweet tea is way oversweetend, hard pass.
  • Like 1

What do you think it is?

Even the old tried and true brands taste different.

Today I bought Pete's Dark Roast.

Will report back in A. M.

I like strong dark roast coffees.

Any suggestions?

At aalmostv$10.00 a 12oz bag, that's too expensive to toss the whole bag after one cup because it stinks.

• Like 1