Okay Rush Forum Family, the time to decide is now, before the new one comes out! What is the BEST Dream Theater Album? And how would you rank them?

Entre_Perpetuo

Which one is the best?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. there can only be one!

• When Dream And Day Unite
    • Images And Words
    • Awake
    • A Change Of Seasons EP
    • Falling Into Infinity
    • Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
    • Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
    • Train Of Thought
    • Octavarium
    • Systematic Chaos
    • Black Clouds & Silver Linings
    • A Dramatic Turn Of Events
    • Dream Theater
    • The Astonishing
    • Distance Over Time
  2. 2. If you've heard the new one already, which of these is it better than?

• I haven't heard it yet
    • When Dream And Day Unite
    • Images And Words
    • Awake
    • A Change Of Seasons EP
    • Falling Into Infinity
    • Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
    • Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
    • Train Of Thought
    • Octavarium
    • Systematic Chaos
    • Black Clouds & Silver Linings
    • A Dramatic Turn Of Events
    • Dream Theater
    • The Astonishing
    • Distance Over Time
  3. 3. heck here's a popular song from each album, which one is your favorite of the bunch?

• The Yste Jam
    • Pull Me Under
    • Voices
    • A Change Of Seasons
    • Trial Of Tears
    • The Spirit Carries On
    • Solitary Shell
    • As I Am
    • Octavarium
    • The Dark Eternal Night
    • A Nightmare To Remember
    • On The Backs Of Angels
    • Illumination Theory
    • The Gift Of Music
    • Barstool Warrior
    • The Alien

I'm at the end of Scenes right now and you know what, I've never heard a bad album from this band. Frankly I'm not sure I've ever heard a sub-par album from them. Not that everything is top notch (TA is just too too much, and Octavarium too imitative in places), but everything is really enjoyable, and a lot of it (for lack of a better term) astonishing.

I can't recall if we've done a thread like this before exactly, and search didn't really help, so I've added some extra questions to the poll to make this one unique. Now rank 'em!

Of the one's I've heard! Anything not listed I haven't heard yet:

1. Awake

2. Scenes

3. Images

4. Distance

5. Degrees

6. Dramatic

7. Octavarium

8. Astonishing

9. Theater (though I haven't heard it in ages)

An interesting poll.

With so much to choose from there is bound to be quite a range of selections.

1. I choose Scenes From A Memory. Personally I find it their most satisfying album overall.

2. I have yet to hear the new one but have high hopes.

3. From the list I think perhaps Octavarium as a favourite track. One that is not listed which I also really like is The Count Of Tuscany from Black Clouds

• Like 1

Thanks for designing the poll in a way that won't allow some of us to vote since we haven't heard the new album yet.

EDIT: Whoops I'm an idiot and need to learn how to read lol

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Thanks for designing the poll in a way that won't allow some of us to vote since we haven't heard the new album yet.

EDIT: Whoops I'm an idiot and need to learn how to read lol

Don't worry I got ya! :)

Haven't heard it myself either.

Let me try:

1. Awake

2. Scenes

3. Images

4. DoT

5. Black Clouds

6. DT

7. ToT

8. Dramatic Turn

9. FII

10. Six Degrees

11. When Day And Dream

12. Octavarium

13. The Astonishing

14. SC

Can't decide where to put the latest

Here's how i would Rank DT albums leaving out the new one i have heard it still needs to find it's place

1. Scenes

2. Six Degrees

3. Dream Theater

4. Images

5. A Dramatic Turn

6. Train of Thought

7. Awake

8. Distance Over Time

9. Falling Into Infinity

10. Octavarium

11. Systematic Chaos

12. Black Clouds

13. When Dream and Day Unite

14. the Astonishing

I love the new one to death honestly. i don't know where it's gonna fall but i like it TONS and TONS more than distance. which was raved on but while i like it.....it's ultimately middle of the pack for me.

and out of the songs EP gave. Voices.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Here's how i would Rank DT albums leaving out the new one i have heard it still needs to find it's place

1. Scenes

2. Six Degrees

3. Dream Theater

4. Images

5. A Dramatic Turn

6. Train of Thought

7. Awake

8. Distance Over Time

9. Falling Into Infinity

10. Octavarium

11. Systematic Chaos

12. Black Clouds

13. When Dream and Day Unite

14. the Astonishing

I love the new one to death honestly. i don't know where it's gonna fall but i like it TONS and TONS more than distance. which was raved on but while i like it.....it's ultimately middle of the pack for me.

and out of the songs EP gave. Voices.

Mick

I love Voices too. I think Octavarium just barely edges it out for me as my favorite DT song.

• Like 1

Went with Awake and Voices. It's an album that holds up to this day and doesn't have a single stinker on it. Scenes is a close second but IMO the concept part kinda weakens it. "Home" might have won over Voices had it been an option.
  • Like 1

Their 2md and 3rd albums were amazing. First album was solid too.

SFAM was/is a different level entirely. I think the concept part is one of it's strengths. It wouldn't be what it is if they weren't trying to tell that story.

Edited by grep

Regular rotation, these are perfect for me:

6DOIT

SFAM

DoT

BC&SL

Middle of the road but the highs are high:

Awake

ADToE

Images

Octavarium

Systematic Chaos

Eh:

Self-titled

ToT

Not for me:

FII

Astonishing

WDADU

I'm at the end of Scenes right now and you know what, I've never heard a bad album from this band. Frankly I'm not sure I've ever heard a sub-par album from them. Not that everything is top notch (TA is just too too much, and Octavarium too imitative in places), but everything is really enjoyable, and a lot of it (for lack of a better term) astonishing.

I can't recall if we've done a thread like this before exactly, and search didn't really help, so I've added some extra questions to the poll to make this one unique. Now rank 'em!

1. Awake

2. Scenes

3. Images

4. Distance

5. Degrees

6. Dramatic

7. Octavarium

8. Astonishing

Interesting passionate thread. I love it. Entre, you have always been like my apprentice in threads and polls. Just my opinion. Pat will always Rule. I put my 2112 cents in here too, but you are the one now man.

As many of you who know me. I have a love hate deal with this band. But lately so much more love. Also I met Mike Portnoy a few years ago on his birthday in SF. A Metal Show. He was so nice.

Anyway,

As you know I'm weird.

Love it. Will never change. Amazed I'm engaged with a beautiful knock out pragmatic woman. I'm a "prog-matic" guy. LOL! The God Of Balance I Will Be!

Anyway....

I never fell in love with "Falling Into Infinity" and Beyond Buzz Lightbeer! LOL! I'm not even drinking a beer. Don't drink beer anymore. Bad jokes continue still!

So for me it's....

IMAGES AND WORDS

AWAKE

UNTIL DAY AND DREAM UNITE

OCTOVARIUM

• Like 1

1. Awake

2. Scenes

3. Images

4. Distance

5. Degrees

6. Dramatic

7. Octavarium

8. Astonishing

Don't listen to Systematic Chaos.

1. Awake

2. Scenes

3. Images

4. Distance

5. Degrees

6. Dramatic

7. Octavarium

8. Astonishing

He at least needs to hear In The Presence Of Enemies. Big mistake not putting both parts together on the album though.

1. Awake

2. Scenes

3. Images

4. Distance

5. Degrees

6. Dramatic

7. Octavarium

8. Astonishing

The skull crushing mixed kick drum kills enjoyment of the album for me. Objectively, Dark Eternal Night is one of their 'funnest' masterpieces. Constant Motion is a good rock song with supermen chops. And... that's about it.

• Like 1

1. Awake

2. Scenes

3. Images

4. Distance

5. Degrees

6. Dramatic

7. Octavarium

8. Astonishing

He at least needs to hear In The Presence Of Enemies. Big mistake not putting both parts together on the album though.

Not a fan of cartoon metal myself. But yeah, he should probably listen to it and decide for himself..

1. Awake

2. Scenes

3. Images

4. Distance

5. Degrees

6. Dramatic

7. Octavarium

8. Astonishing

The skull crushing mixed kick drum kills enjoyment of the album for me. Objectively, Dark Eternal Night is one of their 'funnest' masterpieces. Constant Motion is a good rock song with supermen chops. And... that's about it.

That whole album is extremely ear fatiguing for me. I do like .Constant Motion,Repentance and Prophets of War in spite of that (of course those songs and the rest on that album are better live.)