18 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Genesis - Trespass
    • Metallica - ...And Justice For All
  2. 2. band

3. 3. album cover

• Genesis - Trespass
    • Metallica - ...And Justice For All

Both of these records are long winded and feature winding arrangements, but one is a folky kind of mystical prog, and the other is incredibly dry technical thrash. Who do you have?

Album covers for reference:

genesis-trespass-Cover-Art.jpg

metallica-and-justice-for-all-Cover-Art.jpg

Trespass

These days...Genesis

Trespass

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I prefer Genesis as a band, but I can only handle listening to a sampling of their Gabriel prog era in one sitting. That's also true of Metallica for me from any era. I'll give Metallica the nod for better album because of its place in music history and for it having the better cover.

So, Metallica-Genesis-Metallica. If there were a song face-off, One would get my vote.

For me it's my favorite Metallica album versus a pretty middle of the pack Genesis album. Despite Genesis being a top 5 band, Metallica takes that one pretty easily. Genesis then takes the next one (being a top 5 band whereas Metallica isn't close), and I give the nod to Genesis on the album art. Both are really excellent portrayals of the music held within (not always the case, even with some great album covers), but Trespass has that "I could get lost in this world) quality whereas ...And Justice For All is very much a figural object in a field. Less interesting to me even if it's very impactful.
  • Like 1