The New Yes Album

chemistry1973

Holy crap.

I actually LIKE it.

Seems like Steve Howe decided he needed to carry some of the weight. And he plays quite exquisetly on this album.

Jon Davidson spouts silly nonsense, per usual, but he's more tuneful than previous releases.

The production is pretty damn good. And Alan White does a commendable job too.

I also dug the Benoit David mini album that came out last year.

Maybe my ears are going out.

• Like 2

All 3 mini-epics - The Ice Bridge, Leave Well Alone, and The Living Island are all great tracks. Dare To Know is a favorite too. The Western Edge is good too, although I'm not a fan of Sherwood's auto-tuned vocals. Solid album, of course, I don't think Yes has made a bad album (well, maybe their debut), and this is a welcome addition.
  • Like 2

All 3 mini-epics - The Ice Bridge, Leave Well Alone, and The Living Island are all great tracks. Dare To Know is a favorite too. The Western Edge is good too, although I'm not a fan of Sherwood's auto-tuned vocals. Solid album, of course, I don't think Yes has made a bad album (well, maybe their debut), and this is a welcome addition.

I certainly agree with regard to the 'epic' tracks - all very good.

My biggest difficulty is the 15 minutes of tracks which make up cd 2 .... lets just call them 'bonus' tracks.

When I first listened to the album, I played it in its entirety (including the 3 bonus tracks) and came away feeling that the album had just tailed off badly.

I now only listen to cd 1 (which ends with A Living Island) and find it a good listen. Not a great album, but still a good one.

The 3 extra tracks are just throwaways.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

I love Yes's debut album. I don't care for Time and a Word. The only song on the debut I don't care for is Sweetness. Bruford and Squire are men on a mission. Banks's tone isn't the best, but after listening to it for 30 years, I'm used to it.

I've only spun through it once. Really like what I heard, and I'll go back for more.

One impression that stayed with me is that it sounds like it was recorded direct into a computer. Especially the synths/keys. It sounds ....clean. Not saying it's a bad thing.... but an observation. Haven't seen liner notes so I don't know if I'm right or not.

• Like 1

This new album was like an almost 80's synthpop album done by Yes but with 70's era prog sensibilities. it's also super gay in the best way, lol

this is the first yes album i've enjoyed since i'd say going For the One decades back.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

This new album was like an almost 80's synthpop album done by Yes but with 70's era prog sensibilities. it's also super gay in the best way, lol

this is the first yes album i've enjoyed since i'd say going For the One decades back.

Mick

Not a fan of 90125?

• Like 2

Holy crap.

I actually LIKE it.

Seems like Steve Howe decided he needed to carry some of the weight. And he plays quite exquisetly on this album.

Jon Davidson spouts silly nonsense, per usual, but he's more tuneful than previous releases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbGEa7ju8bg

What the FUKK??

The intro synth sounds like EMERSON LAKE & POWELL!

"TOUCH AND GO!"

• Like 2

Mick

Not a fan of 90125?

it's ok........at best.

like Side 1. side 2 stinks. not a fan of Drama either and most fans seem to love that one.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Holy crap.

I actually LIKE it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbGEa7ju8bg

What the FUKK??

The intro synth sounds like EMERSON LAKE & POWELL!

"TOUCH AND GO!"

A tribute maybe? It’s too close.

This is where I started to fade out with new Yes music.   I bought every Yes album ( excluding Tormato ) up to this point and Talk was the last.

Good album but it started to loose the Yes feel for me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, custom55 said:

This is where I started to fade out with new Yes music.   I bought every Yes album ( excluding Tormato ) up to this point and Talk was the last.

Good album but it started to loose the Yes feel for me.

Tormato is a great album!

19 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

Right up there with "Tales From Topographic Oceans" in the unlistenable category, imo.

Oh...Tales is their masterpiece as far as I am concerned 🤣 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thizzellewashington said:

Classic Yes is some of the best music ever made but I don't like a single thing they released after 90125 with the exception of the song "Mind Drive."

90125 is honestly the first skip for me. You'd think I'd love that big pop sound, but I honestly find it grating with godawful lyrics.

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

90125 is honestly the first skip for me. You'd think I'd love that big pop sound, but I honestly find it grating with godawful lyrics.

• Like 1

90125 at least has some good songs. Everything following it falls into one of two categories: desperately trying to chase 90125's pop success without the good songs, or desperately trying to recapture the 70s prog sound without the good songs.

I also think their 70s sound could only have been achieved in the 70s and the way those albums were recorded are part of what makes it great. Trying to recreate it in the 90s and 00s with digital recording technology just makes it sound artificial and not organic.

• Like 1