NEW Mastodon. A couple tracks.

Had a quick look at reviews online & this album is dividing the fanbase big time. It's Senjutsu all over again :lol:

I've only seen major Senjutsu love. Only this forum have I seen raging negativity

Is Senjutsu your album of the year? A couple major releases for you have come out since then but your avatar is still Senjutsu.

the new Mastodon is in my top 5 for sure.

Senjutsu is in my top 10 for the year.

and Segue isn't kidding when he says TRF is the only place Senjutsu has taken a flogging.

it's like what do you guys want ......oh 1982 back, lol.

Mick

• Like 1

Had a quick look at reviews online & this album is dividing the fanbase big time. It's Senjutsu all over again :lol:

I've only seen major Senjutsu love. Only this forum have I seen raging negativity

Is Senjutsu your album of the year? A couple major releases for you have come out since then but your avatar is still Senjutsu.

It's difficult to say, I LOVE Senjutsu, but the new Mastodon...is bloody phenomenal.

And I love the new Biffy Clyro to death!

Throw in Killers, Trivium and Dream Theater, it's been an exceptional year for me.

I dug the new Killers too. I have the new Mastodon on hold at the library, so that should come in for me soonish. Would I dig Trivium do you think?

and Segue isn't kidding when he says TRF is the only place Senjutsu has taken a flogging.

Mick

I want new Judas Priest to accompany it!

• Like 1

Mick

Senjutsu was getting a fair amount of shit on Reddit when it first came out. Not that it matters, but I definitely agree with the production complaints.

• Like 1

It's difficult to say, I LOVE Senjutsu, but the new Mastodon...is bloody phenomenal.

And I love the new Biffy Clyro to death!

Throw in Killers, Trivium and Dream Theater, it's been an exceptional year for me.

I dug the new Killers too. I have the new Mastodon on hold at the library, so that should come in for me soonish. Would I dig Trivium do you think?

I think you could, I recommend you Shogun. Proggy and highly melodic. You can work backwards and forwards from that one

• Like 1

Mick

Senjutsu was getting a fair amount of shit on Reddit when it first came out. Not that it matters, but I definitely agree with the production complaints.

i do agree on the production. than again i think all modern maidan sounds muffled and crowded.

that kevin Shirley, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I haven't had a chance to listen to all of the new Mastodon record, is there growly or screaming singing? That's whats turned me off on their other releases.

You haven’t listened in a while. :D In fact, their much improved vocals and discovery of things like melody and harmony in their music is part of why the fan base is so divided. Old schoolers LONG for the lighting speed riffs and growling vocals, while others seem to appreciate their growth beyond those things.

In short, give Hushed & Grim a spin.

• Like 1

I haven't had a chance to listen to all of the new Mastodon record, is there growly or screaming singing? That's whats turned me off on their other releases.

mastodon Pretty much droppped the screaming on their album the Hunter. they much more straight ahead melodic metal.

you might not have as much a problem with them nowadays.

Mick

• Like 1

You haven’t listened in a while. :D In fact, their much improved vocals and discovery of things like melody and harmony in their music is part of why the fan base is so divided. Old schoolers LONG for the lighting speed riffs and growling vocals, while others seem to appreciate their growth beyond those things.

In short, give Hushed & Grim a spin.

Opeth fans are the same way. I like the early music, but the cookie monster vocals ruins it for me.

I'll check out your recommendation. Arigato.

mastodon Pretty much droppped the screaming on their album the Hunter. they much more straight ahead melodic metal.

you might not have as much a problem with them nowadays.

Mick

Thanks. I'll definitely give it a full spin.

• Like 1

My favourite song is a toss up between Had It All and Gigantium.

All in all, this is an astonishing album and I just love it all!

• Like 1

My favourite song is a toss up between Had It All and Gigantium.

All in all, this is an astonishing album and I just love it all!

Gigantium is a highlight fosho. They couldn't have picked a better closer.

I have to say I love every single song, I feel this is their best work in years.

I had it checkout out from my local library for like, what, three weeks? Listened through a couple times, kept playing the first disc... realized I needed it. Went out and bought it tonight, about halfway through. I'm sure more steady favorites will emerge after a bit more time but... The Crux and Teardrinker. Just demolishing to me. This is the same band that did Leviathon? I can barely tell where one song ends and the next starts on that one. I'm feeling every track acutely on Hushed And Grim. But maybe that's just hype.

Anyway it's really good. Another great rec from the TRF community. I probably wouldn't have checked this out otherwise. Definite AOTY contender.

• Like 1

Gonna have to relisten to Crack The Skye... but for me Hushed And Grim might be better. CtS is mind bending, sure, but H&G has 15 examples of truly excellent songwriting in the classic sense.
  • Like 1

Gonna have to relisten to Crack The Skye... but for me Hushed And Grim might be better. CtS is mind bending, sure, but H&G has 15 examples of truly excellent songwriting in the classic sense.

Leviathan, Blood Mountain, Crack The Skye, Once More 'Round The Sun and Hushed And Grim are my absolute favourite Mastodon albums.

• Like 2

Levithan is still my favorite. Some of it might be nostalgia, but it really is an atmospheric vibe of an album...the vibe is just that of being in a brutal storm at sea! Approach it more like a jazz album and I think it's the most cohesive thing they've done.
  • Like 2

Leviathan, Blood Mountain, Crack The Skye, Once More 'Round The Sun and Hushed And Grim are my absolute favourite Mastodon albums.

I really want to hear Blood Mountain soon. That was your avatar for a long time, wasn't it?

I don't really like the production on the new album, sounds messy and buzzy and hissy.

It took me some getting used to, but I find it suits the album's themes a lot better than something crystal clear would.

I don't really like the production on the new album, sounds messy and buzzy and hissy.

It took me some getting used to, but I find it suits the album's themes a lot better than something crystal clear would.

It's mostly the first two tracks, sometimes the guitars are a bit fuzzy but the drums seem to always be clear.

It's mostly the first two tracks, sometimes the guitars are a bit fuzzy but the drums seem to always be clear.

I kinda hear it throughout the album. Everything is a little, well, hushed and grim.