new Ghost!

J2112YYZ

I need to see a full show of these guys, the opening set for Maiden after they dropped Square Hammer was my first taste.

Square Hammer was already a hit by the time they opened for Maiden. I saw them on that tour and also saw them the year before on the Meliora tour. That was a great show but it was a two thousand capacity theater. I have yet to see Ghost the arena band. They didn't come around here for Prequelle. The Ghouls are different now. I've read on here and other places that it's noticable if you saw them live during their first three albums that the Ghouls play differently now. The original Ghouls supposedly had more umph to their live playing.

The originals played more like a band rather than a collection of session players.

I like it bar one song.

Which is the bad one?

Twenties. I just don't get how it made the cut. Other than that it's a good album.

I looked at the title before I heard it and I was expecting some kind of Django Reinhardt vibe, but I was mistaken!

Halfway through it and it's certainly epic. Good stuff so far!

If I'm being picky I'm pretty bummed Watcher in the Sky got a fade-out ending instead of something proper. This one better get played live, it'll bring the house down.

• Like 1

I like it bar one song.

Which is the bad one?

Twenties. I just don't get how it made the cut. Other than that it's a good album.

Yeah Twenties is not for me...too "musical theater" for my tastes. Pretty kitschy, and that's saying something for Ghost.

Edited by The Analog Cub

I'm not hearing the problem everyone has with Twenties. I like that song. It's a bit different but still very Ghost. The Darkness At The Heart Of My Love is the album killer for me. Nothing worse than a metal band doing an awful, disingenuous love ballad that completely reeks of "please give us a hit, pretty please!" like that song does. Griftwood isn't that much better when it comes to Tobias's desperation for a big pop hit. Other than that, I think everything else is good. A bit more on the poppy side for the most part which will probably hurt it's standing for me in the long run. Watcher In The Sky and Respite On The Spitafields are the best songs.
  • Like 1

i just finished it.......i loved it.

i wouldn't call this metal at all. it's definitely the brightest shiniest pop-iest thing they've done.

in a lot of ways.......take it from an expert they made an AOR record. i hear Journey, TOTO, Queen and Blue Oyster Cult.....ALL in this one album.

i dig it.....tons. 2nd half got a shade darter but it still sounds so gloss-y and shiny, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

i wouldn't call this metal at all. it's definitely the brightest shiniest pop-iest thing they've done.

in a lot of ways.......take it from an expert they made an AOR record. i hear Journey, TOTO, Queen and Blue Oyster Cult.....ALL in this one album.

i dig it.....tons. 2nd half got a shade darter but it still sounds so gloss-y and shiny, lol

Mick

:goodone:

The album is slick as pomade.

• Like 1

I get Alice Cooper vibes on the last two albums. Evil stuff sung in a poppy way is Cooper's thing and Tobias does the same. I think Twenties sounds like something off the wall Cooper would have done in the mid 70s. I'm not sure how big of an influence Cooper was on Tobias but I hear a lot of that in Ghost.

Mick

So you've finally got the Blue Oyster Cult thing after 12 long years?

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/61303-the-new-blue-oyster-cult-from-sweden-ghost/page__hl__%2Bblue+%2Boyster+%2Bcult

Been giving it more listens over the weekend and I think that Meliora and Prequelle are better, but I like this more than the first two albums. The pop is a little too much in areas but there are Ghost classics in here. Watcher in the Sky is the best one.

Solid album. Last two were better......but this album has some fantastic high points and yes Watcher In The Sky is one of their best tunes period. I really hope they come to South Florida again. Loved the last tour big time.

And I agree about the proggy jamming on the second half of Kaisarion!! Really nice.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1