Babylon 5 reboot..News from JMS

Rhyta

Just saw this yesterday. It was on JMS's twitter account:

To answer all the questions, yes, it’s true, Babylon 5 is in active development as a series for the CW. We have some serious fans over at the network, and they’re eager to see this show happen. I’m hip deep into writing the pilot now, and will be running the series upon pickup. The network understands the uniqueness of Babylon 5 and is giving me a great deal of latitude with the storytelling.

Guess it will be a reboot with new actors, will have to see how it goes. It is going to be hard to start over but so many of the original cast have gone beyond the rim.

http://www.theverge.com/2021/9/27/22696836/babylon-5-reboot-j-michael-straczynski-warner-bros-the-cw

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

With JMS at the helm and with complete creative control (which he has), this has the potential to be awesome.

I suspect he already knows what the last scene is, and he has a plan. So that alone has me thinking this will be even better than the Galactica reboot.

Now all we need is for someone to pick up Firefly. :)

• Like 1

I often cast a wry eye on reboots, re-imaginations, etc. I can't say I'm a huge fan. I watched it when broadcast but always preferred DS9. I have the movie DVD collection. I have the Crusade DVD set, I seem to remember really liking that. I get it's place in the Top Tier of sci-fi TV. Word of a reboot didn't bother me. I'm less concerned knowing that JMS is helming the project. Making comments about RM's BG don't impress me but I'm looking forward to this new Babylon 5.

Since I have the floor...

what-most-people-thinki-mean-when-isay-ima-battlestar-galactica-41641477.png

• Like 1

A new woke version? No thanks!

Where did JMS say it would be "woke"? I prefer to wait and see what he comes up with, I have trust in the Great Maker.

• Like 4

A new woke version? No thanks!

Where did JMS say it would be "woke"? I prefer to wait and see what he comes up with, I have trust in the Great Maker.

Everything's woke nowadays, or just crap. I haven't seen a good new show in 20 years.

Really looking forward to this and I sure hope they find a way to bring back Marcus Cole!

"We live for The One, we die for The One!"

At the one and only sci-fi convention I ever attended, Jason Carter was the featured guest. When it was mine and my wife's turn in the autograph line, I asked he list my wife's name first. He asked: "you're married?" and I said yes and then he said: "I hear you" and not only did he list her name first, he also wrote 'Love is truth'. How cool is that?

• Like 2

I asked Bill Mumy on FB if he knew of any potential old cast involvement. I'm not expecting an answer, and he hasn't LOL. He either doesn't know, or can't talk about it.

I'm not saying that I'd expect or want the old cast to reprise their roles.... it's a re-telling. But new roles. Sort of like Richard Hatch in the new BSG. That would be something - if done right.

Edited by grep
  • Like 3

Really looking forward to this and I sure hope they find a way to bring back Marcus Cole!

"We live for The One, we die for The One!"

At the one and only sci-fi convention I ever attended, Jason Carter was the featured guest. When it was mine and my wife's turn in the autograph line, I asked he list my wife's name first. He asked: "you're married?" and I said yes and then he said: "I hear you" and not only did he list her name first, he also wrote 'Love is truth'. How cool is that?

:heart: Marcus and Jason Carter, he was my favorite character on the show, I love British accents. See my avatar and siggy, I am a big B5 fan.

• Like 1

I asked Bill Mumy on FB if he knew of any potential old cast involvement. I'm not expecting an answer, and he hasn't LOL. He either doesn't know, or can't talk about it.

I'm not saying that I'd expect or want the old cast to reprise their roles.... it's a re-telling. But new roles. Sort of like Richard Hatch in the new BSG. That would be something - if done right.

Since there are so many of the original cast members gone to the Rim, it would have to be a reimagining. I am listening to JMS's memoir (read by Peter Jurasik) and wonder if he drops any hints in the last part...will see.

• Like 2

Since there are so many of the original cast members gone to the Rim, it would have to be a reimagining. I am listening to JMS's memoir (read by Peter Jurasik) and wonder if he drops any hints in the last part...will see.

It's definitely going to be a re-imagining / retelling. JMS said so himself. He wants to bring in some of today's issues, and update the story.

• Like 1

I've been binging the series, last couple of weeks. First time I've seen some of these episodes since the first run.

Man, what a great show. The stories, the acting, the arc.

Even though some of the sets and SFX aren't holding up today. It's not cheese or anything like that. It's got it's own look, and now it's simply dated... as cutting edge as it was back then. I can only hope that the new SFX team can use some of the existing models, upscale them, and retexture them to look more up to date. Apparently not all the CGI models were lost.... so that would be cool if some of the original assets made it into the new show.

The makeup and costumes - I hope they use the styles and designs off the shelf for the reboot. But what will probably happen is that we'll get 'new' Mimbari. Just like on Trek we get up to date Andorians. Costumes themselves were perfect - Earthforce, Rangers, The Centauri...

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

Why does it seem that everyone is convinced it's a "reboot" which, in my mind, indicates they would be "re-hashing old material with new actors"? I'm fairly sure it will be all-new stories which just happen to take place in the same universe.
  • Like 1

Why does it seem that everyone is convinced it's a "reboot" which, in my mind, indicates they would be "re-hashing old material with new actors"? I'm fairly sure it will be all-new stories which just happen to take place in the same universe.

JMS himself called it a reboot. It will be a retelling of the story, in an updated way. As per JMS.

• Like 1

The story is definitely going to change for the reboot. Apparently there will be a new protagonist.

So it won't simply be a retelling of the Shadow and Vorlon proxy war. Cool. Or maybe it will, with a twist.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2022/05/babylon-5-reboot-status-alive-the-cw-1235027808/

Update on the reboot, "still very much in active development".  Good to hear, seems we will be seeing things from Sheridan's viewpoint, actually beginning before he came to B5.  Hmm, intriguing.

Also for those who want to see the original series, it is on HBO Max currently.  I watched a few episodes last night. :yes:

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Rhyta said:

https://deadline.com/2022/05/babylon-5-reboot-status-alive-the-cw-1235027808/

Update on the reboot, "still very much in active development".  Good to hear, seems we will be seeing things from Sheridan's viewpoint, actually beginning before he came to B5.  Hmm, intriguing.

Also for those who want to see the original series, it is on HBO Max currently.  I watched a few episodes last night. :yes:

I probably should watch the original series first shouldn't I?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

Absolutely, it is worth a look.  It doesn't start getting as intense until the 2nd Season so you could skip some bits of 1 but the last episode of Season 1 has a big plot twist that is important.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, treeduck said:

It really sounds like you wouldn't need to. Much of the production values and FX will feel dated. That didn't stop Star Trek TOS from being broadcasted and gaining new legions of fans. Babylon 5 was constantly atop many Best Lists, if you have time fire up the DVD player or whatever streaming service and find out why. I think it will be worth your time.

• Like 1

Saw this on Fakebook.

You can delete this if it’s out of bounds, but another scifi creator that I greatly admire was asking for help today. Since BG fans I know also like this other series I hope you can pardon this cross post.
Quoting J. Michael Strazinski on twitter:
“The fate of the #Babylon5 pilot may be decided end of this month. Though much of @TheCW was bought by @NXSTMediaGroup the decision also rests heavily with @WarnerbrosTV. If fans want to show their support for B5 & let them know you want this to happen, now is the time #B5onCwin23
They had #B5onCWin23 as the #1 hashtag on Twitter earlier today.