RPG: Animals vs. Glass Houses

Entre_Perpetuo

choose one  

22 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Pink Floyd - Animals
    • Billy Joel - Glass Houses
  2. 2. artist

oooh ouch this one hurts. man.........i'm going Glass Houses........BUT it got lucky cause i just played it. Had it been Animals it probable would have won.

as a whole. I'm gonna Billy too. i've just grown up on his music. i was introduced to floyd at like 13. Billy at 8 years old. he's in my DNA more honestly.

Mick

• Like 4

Is Billy Joel the American Elton John (without most of the camp bullshit)?

eeeehhhhhh, no.

They're both the quintessential piano rockers, that much is true. But I find Elton doesn't at all have the same writing style as Billy. Billy tends to be punchier, more sarcastic, and a little more rock and roll. He even had one of the Ramones as a producer. Elton has a more lush scope most of the time, and when he does rock out, it can often verge near parody (Crocodile Rock for instance). Despite Billy being the New Yorker I think Broadway runs a bit more deeply in Elton's music, or perhaps it's the West End at that point. Not to say Billy doesn't have his share of drama and romance and schmaltz (I'm actually gonna hand it to Billy on the schmaltz-o-meter, just listen to Everybody Has A Dream), but Elton has that diva attitude, born for the stage (just watch Rocket Man). Their discographies don't really line up either. Elton first major album is from 1970! Billy's is 1973. By 1973 Elton had already released five albums, before releasing two more in 1973 itself! Elton's golden period ends around 75/76; Billy's was just taking off by then. And then Billy up and stopped putting out records in the early 90s, Elton has kept going (for good or for ill) right through the present day.

• Like 1

oooh ouch this one hurts. man.........i'm going Glass Houses........BUT it got lucky cause i just played it. Had it been Animals it probable would have won.

as a whole. I'm gonna Billy too. i've just grown up on his music. i was introduced to floyd at like 13. Billy at 8 years old. he's in my DNA more honestly.

Mick

Glass Houses would beat out Wish You Were Here for me easily, as well as Meddle and possibly The Wall. But Animals is just the highest tier of rock masterpieces. Almost certainly would make my top 50 albums of all time. And what you said of Billy runs somewhat true for me with Floyd. I haven't been listening to either of them since I was 18, but I got into Floyd's albums first and Animals and DSOTM are just part of the blood in my veins.

• Like 2

Glass Houses is good. Animals is great and the GOAT Floyd album.

This pretty much, though I would up Glass Houses to great and Animals to excellent.

While Glass Houses was the first Billy Joel album I heard (and still have a lot of respect for), Animals wins here. In that period of 1973-1979, that may be the best Floyd album (Dark Side is probably its major competition for me).

This is an excellent RPG to have. It hurts me a little bit to give the edge to Pink Floyd here.

• Like 2

Could it be, treeduck, that we agree on something? That Billy Joel and Elton John don`t feature on either of our Desert Island Discs selections???

I know there are a bunch of Billy Joel fans here on the forum but for me it's Floyd all the way - no contest.

Yeah, I love a lot of Billy Joel's stuff. If the matchup was with Songs From The Attic, it might give me pause in a decision, but as many have already said, Glass Houses may be good, but Animals resides in the all-time rock pantheon of best albums ever. Floyd overall, too.

My top songs from Glass Houses? Close to the Borderline, All for Lena, You May Be Right, and Don't Ask Me Why, none of which remotely approach the majesty of Sheep, Dogs, or Pigs.

• Like 2

Probably Animals, although I think it is waaaay overrated by the "I don't like Dark Side or The Wall" real fans. Glass Houses is probably Joel's best single album, but he's one of those "greatest hits only" artists for me.

Agreed. That's why Songs From The Attic is my top Joel Album, which features grittier, more energetic live versions of some older Joel classics.

Probably Animals, although I think it is waaaay overrated by the "I don't like Dark Side or The Wall" real fans. Glass Houses is probably Joel's best single album, but he's one of those "greatest hits only" artists for me.

See I love Dark Side! And I do have love for The Wall, though it's a kind of frustrating record to me.

Could it be, treeduck, that we agree on something? That Billy Joel and Elton John don`t feature on either of our Desert Island Discs selections???

I prefer Elton John to be honest. I just think he's got better songs.

• Like 1

I know there are a bunch of Billy Joel fans here on the forum but for me it's Floyd all the way - no contest.

Yeah, I love a lot of Billy Joel's stuff. If the matchup was with Songs From The Attic, it might give me pause in a decision, but as many have already said, Glass Houses may be good, but Animals resides in the all-time rock pantheon of best albums ever. Floyd overall, too.

My top songs from Glass Houses? Close to the Borderline, All for Lena, You May Be Right, and Don't Ask Me Why, none of which remotely approach the majesty of Sheep, Dogs, or Pigs.

I love Close To The Borderline just for Billy's tough, gritty singing. Love it when he goes into that New Yawk tough guy mode on songs like that and Big Shot.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

Mick

I have one variant pair. Went with Floyd by a microscopic slim margin.