Geddy's writing a memoir! To be released Fall 2022

blueschica

Geddy has announced he's writing a memoir! Scheduled to be released in Fall 2022. His announcement on Instagram is long but exciting.

From @geddyimages: "So, how did I kill time during the pandemic? Little did I know that as of March 2020 I'd be locked down for over a year and a half—the longest time I'd spent in Toronto since I was nineteen and hit the Northern Ontario bar circuit with Rush.

Although Nancy and I had to cancel a bunch of adventures we'd been planning, there were some shiny silver linings to be found at home: teaching my grandson the finer points of baseball and birdwatching, tending to my pups (one of whom was quite ill) and spending the evenings with my lovely better half, glass of Armagnac in hand, as we watched every European mystery show ever produced. Oh, and another thing: I began to write. Words, that is.

My friend and collaborator on the Big Beautiful Book of Bass, Daniel Richler, saw how I was struggling in the aftermath of Neil's passing, and tried coaxing me out of my blues with some funny tales from his youth, daring me to share my own in return. So I did—reluctantly at first, but then remembering, oh yeah, I like wrestling with words. It's a less physical version of arguing with musical notes, without a Ricky doubleneck breaking my back! And soon my baby-step stories were becoming grownup chapters. Being the nuclear obsessive that I am, I'd write and re-write them, reassessing perspectives in the narrative not just by scouring my memory banks but my diaries and piles of photo albums too. I was piecing together a mystery of a different kind.

I'd then send these improved and even illustrated stories to Daniel, who'd clean up some of the grammar and remove a lot of the swearing (I love to f***ing swear), and presto! In a voice that sounded, well, just like me, a presentable, epic-length account of my life on and off the stage was taking shape: my childhood, my family, the story of my parents' survival, my travels and all sorts of nonsense I've spent too much time obsessing over. And Daniel said, "I think you're writing a book. An actual memoir, in fact." To which I replied, “Hmm… I guess I am.”

I'm rounding third on this as-of-yet untitled memoir, which will be published by HarperCollins, edited by Noah Eaker, and is scheduled for release in Fall 2022."

Bring it on, buddy! It better be easier to handle than that suitcase sized Book of Bass! :lol:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 11

This is fantastic news. Will pre-order this one the moment a button appears on Amazon.

Take my money, please.

I know, right? I'm excited for this! :ebert: Even if it is big and heavy again! :lol:

• Like 6

so excited, and hoping for a book tour, not signing, but something where he talks about the book, like Dave Grohl is doing now (going to that one, whoop) and like Springsteen did (went to that too...so good). I'd rather watch him on a stage talk for an hour or two as opposed to four seconds getting a signed book (went there, did that).
  • Like 6

As a big Rush fan, I always disliked Neil's books...because I felt like he knew all we really wanted was a memoir of his life as a musician...and so he dole that out in tiny little scoops in among his long tales of riding a motor cycle around (which I find totally uninteresting.). But Geddy writing an actual memoir - oh yes. I cannot wait to read it!
  • Like 6

As per all the above posts, it is indeed great news. I think Geddy will have a world of witty and interesting stories to relate.

I too will order as soon as possible.

• Like 4

Sweeeeeeet!

Thank you for posting, blueschica. Another something to look forward to - and the more things to look forward to, the better, right?!!

I love hearing Geddy talk, to read his published works will be something to hold along side Neil's stuff. But different. Very cool.

• Like 4

Wow! Can't wait for this. I finally watched the Dan Rather interview recently, loved hearing him talk through stories and other personal/band history. I hope the memoir is about six inches thick and covers everything (especially all those synth details I'm always wondering about ;))
  • Like 5

This is so awesome.

But we all really want a Lerxst memoir.

Lerxst memoir:

We were in the studio for a long time in the seventies. Like, most of the seventies. We smoked hashish and made cool guitar songs. Then we spent even more time in the studio in the eighties but I didn't like that as much because there wasn't any more hashish and because Ged didn't want to make any more cool guitar songs. But we made some songs and I could kind of play my guitar in the background so that was still okay. We went back to making more cool guitar songs later.

Blah blah blah. Do I really have to write this?

Edited by Weatherman
  • Like 8

This is fantastic news. Will pre-order this one the moment a button appears on Amazon.

Take my money, please.

I know, right? I'm excited for this! :ebert: Even if it is big and heavy again! :lol:

I'm REALLY hoping for big and heavy but it probably won't be.

• Like 1

Take my money, please.

More like HYF, light and thin? With a boring cover?

• Like 2

Take my money, please.

More like HYF, light and thin? With a boring cover?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I hope not but you made me laugh!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1