• Achtung Baby
    • Zooropa
    • Pop
    • All That You Can't Leave Behind
    • How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
    • No Line On The Horizon
    • Songs Of Innocence
    • Songs Of Experience

So I was watching a YouTube video where some popular YouTuber music critics get together to take fan X vs. Y scenarios and discuss them, and this one came up. I was hesitant at first, and I thought I would lean towards U2, but the more I thought about it the more I realized U2 don't have a Synchronicity in their catalogue, nor a single pop song as perfect as Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic. I'm for The Police all the way.
  • Like 2

So I was watching a YouTube video where some popular YouTuber music critics get together to take fan X vs. Y scenarios and discuss them, and this one came up. I was hesitant at first, and I thought I would lean towards U2, but the more I thought about it the more I realized U2 don't have a Synchronicity in their catalogue, nor a single pop song as perfect as Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic. I'm for The Police all the way.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsgBpsNPQ50

I sang that song in front of a couple hundred people three nights in a row once.

• Like 1

I sang that song in front of a couple hundred people three nights in a row once.

What did you sound like?

Tricky one for me this - I have voted for the band I dislike the least - amazingly despite my rantings about Sting, Police sweep the boards.

What did you sound like?

http://youtu.be/Aa-627jiSEE

I'm on at about 4:30 into this video.

What did you sound like?

Are you going to ask Mike Reno to step aside?

What did you sound like?

:lol: I'm not that good.

What did you sound like?

:lol: I'm not that good.

I know but I've got to boost your confidence somehow.

Tricky one. Like both.

U2 have more 'street cred', if you like, for the 1st half of their career I suppose, especially up to War. And then I include up to Joshua Tree although in my opinion they were changing from Unforgettable Fire.

Still like a lot of what I've heard in the 2nd half but they had changed into more of a stadium rock beast (sort of).

Good comparison and tough to pick since they started about the same time. Let's break this down by the pieces.

Vocal - Sting Vs Bono - there's not enough coin flips to decide which insufferable dick to choose. Tie.

Guitar - Andy vs Edge - Andy is very accomplished and more interesting to listen to. Edge is pretty much a one-trick pony. Andy.

Bass - Sting vs what's his name?, oh yeah Adam - Give this one to Stink because Adam is non-descript.

Drums - Stewart vs Larry - come on man not even close - Stewart.

U2 had a much longer active career...but does anyone care about them since the 90s? Best band goes to The Police.

Best singer - not choosing a favorite egomaniac but coin flip says Bono. ugh.

Best Album - I like the first 3 Police Albums, same with U2. But The Unforgettable Fire is highly underrated IMO and an interesting left turn for U2, so that's the one.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

A band that ended out on top with a wanker lead vocalist vs. a band that hasn't done anything in years with a wanker lead vocalist.

Sting - GITM

Boner - Achtung Baby, War and Joshua are my top 3.

Synchronicity is a close 2nd but Mother ruins it from perfection and even though Miss Gradenko is nicely placed after that trash song, it's still filler.

I must say I've always liked Mother quite a lot. It's by far one of the most bizarre and entertaining takes on the 12 bar blues I've ever heard. I think it really sells the weirdness of the album.

I think U2 made some good music...I particularly love The Unforgettable Fire - it has a really floaty, mysterious vibe to it. But, I find them fairly insufferable, and not just Bono. In interviews, they are often as idiotic and unaware as Spinal Tap. I watched some video about them coming up with One (a really great little song, I'll grant you) and they talked about it like God himself had come down and taught the Edge how to play A minor, D, F and G while Bono got nailed to the f**king cross or something. Ugh. I mean, come on, the 2 main members are called Bono and the Edge. Jesus christ.

I also find Sting to be a pretentious git for a large portion of his time...but... I saw him with Peter Gabriel a few years ago, and I continue to be impressed by his talent. He is a stellar musician, despite his annoying tendencies. (I also find Stewart Copeland to be the worst kind of annoying...the kind who thinks his annoyingness is endearing. I also think, and this is coming from a drummer who was very influenced by him in my formative years...I think he's been coasting as a drummer for a long while, and has not really progressed or changed. I will blow my head off if I hear him talk about switching the backbeat around so it's on "3" as if it's the most astounding thing ever done. Ugh)

So both bands irk me...but I think The Police were of a much higher musical quality. Each member brought something wholly unique to the mix, which you can't say for those Irish lads. I picked Regatta De Blanc...but I actually like each record they made more or less equally.

Edited by Timbale