Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Supertramp-Crime of the Century (10/10)

Mick

You know they knew it was great, because six years later they still played nearly every song off of it live, and put more songs from it on their first live album than songs from Breakfast In America, the album they were promoting at the time and their most commercially successful record. 

• Like 1

Yesterday:

Imagine Dragons - Night Visions

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

Of Monsters And Men - My Head Is An Animal

Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree

Margo Price - Strays

Gabrielle Aplin - Phosphorescent

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

You know they knew it was great, because six years later they still played nearly every song off of it live, and put more songs from it on their first live album than songs from Breakfast In America, the album they were promoting at the time and their most commercially successful record. 

what Amazes me about this album is the previous 2 albums were like odd blues-y acid-y 70's rock.  This third one they come out fully formed as the Supertramp we love.  Like "Ok these first two was Supertramp the beta test.  This is now the full released version of our product!!!"

lol it's shocking how they switched gears right into their comfort zone.

Mick

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

what Amazes me about this album is the previous 2 albums were like odd blues-y acid-y 70's rock.  This third one they come out fully formed as the Supertramp we love.  Like "Ok these first two was Supertramp the beta test.  This is now the full released version of our product!!!"

lol it's shocking how they switched gears right into their comfort zone.

Mick

Didn't they have a massive lineup change between 2 and 3? That might account for some of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Didn't they have a massive lineup change between 2 and 3? That might account for some of it.

Hodgson and Davies were always there.

On crime they added Dougie Thomas on Bass and he'd remain for thei successful era and John Helliway on sexy sexy sax.  2 very Key members in their golden era sound.

Mick

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

Hodgson and Davies were always there.

On crime they added Dougie Thomas on Bass and he'd remain for thei successful era and John Helliway on sexy sexy sax.  2 very Key members in their golden era sound.

Mick

Very much so! I wonder what changed with Hodgson and Davies as they were adding members and finding their new sound.

• Like 1

Mountain - Twin Peaks

A live Mountain album (2 records) recorded in Osaka Japan on 8/30/73.  Good album.  Would be better if they had cut down Nantucket Sleigh Ride a bit.  Now I like the song but dang, the live version take up an entire record!!  Come on, they did not have to extend the jam that long - its overkill of an otherwise enjoyable song.

BTW - I got to see Leslie West in concert in the early 90's (summer of either 92 or 93) and he was (IMO) every bit the legend he is.  A veritable man mountain and a very good guitarist.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Very much so! I wonder what changed with Hodgson and Davies as they were adding members and finding their new sound.

i read that hodgson was not happy with the first records AT ALL.  ad was exploring like Spirituality and prog bands, lol

and daviees was deep in the r n b sauce.  as you can hear in his swagger numbers like Bloody well Right.

Mick

• Like 2

Yes - Big Generator

I know a lot of Yes fans don't care for this album.  Having listened to it, I can understand why.  I do really enjoy the 3 songs that received radio airplay (Rhythm of Love, Shoot High Aim Low & Love Will Find A Way).  I esp. like the last 2.  The first one less so.  With Love Will Find A Way I feel like I am listing to an updated All You Need Is Love by The Beatles.  The rest of the album - no thanks.  Not really to my taste.  Did get to see Yes in concert around the time of this album and they played all 3 songs, plus their big hits off 90125 and their early big hits - enjoyable show.

So its an album I will put away but in a place I can pull it out for those 3 big songs again - should I be in the mood.

• Like 3

Harry Styles-Harry's House (9/10)

I didn't think much of this record when it came out.  But for whatever reason it clicked this play.

I think what  i realized this is just a modern take on a 70's yacht rock album.

how i didn't make the full connection of this is just a 70's smooth pop album i don't know.

i dig it tons. 

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Scorpions: Lovedrive

Scorpions: Animal Magnetism

Cat Stevens: Teaser and the Firecat

That last one was at the request of my 83-year-old mother (who moved in with us after her town burned down in 2018).

I was only too happy to oblige!

• Like 3

Nest out of the moving box is some really good stuff.

Rush - Rush

This album is far from my favorite Rush album but it is also a complete and total album.  I can listen to it without ever skipping a song.  That being said, it has my 11th favorite Rush song Working Man and a bunch of songs that would not be within my top 50 Rush songs.  Likely not even within my top 75.  Perhaps not even within my top 100.  Wait you say, this just does not add up.  Let me explain.

For me, none of the songs (except Working Man) are all that special.  However (big however) the album just fits together.  Even though the songs are not special they are not horrible either.  IMO a top 75  Rush song is still better than most groups material (expect their very best)),  But what is going on is that the album just fits together amazingly well - esp given that it was a first album written and recorded over a very short timeframe, with the recording being done in the very early AM. (I recall they got studio time at like 3-5 AM because that was the cheapest time they could get).  Put another way, the whole is far greater than the sum of the parts of the album.  This should have been a huge warning sign that their was something special going on in Toronto.  A complete and total album like this does not pop up all the time.  Some groups never have one.  Some only a few.  Rush has many.  Their ability to get the album to flow from song to song is often overlooked but it helps set them apart from many other bands.  So thats what is going on - individual songs that are mostly ok but not special that just fit together and pull you along so you don't want to skip anything.  And then the masterpiece at the end.

• Like 3

The albums coming from the moving box are getting even better:

Rush - Fly By Night

This is my 5th favorite Rush album (just behind Presto and just ahead of AFTK).  As mush as I like their self titled album this is way, way better.  First of all, the drums they went from decent, solid, competent John Rutsy to the genius of Neil.  Also the song quality is light years better on this album.  Yes the lyrics are way better but its also the music.  Without dealing with John Rutsys preference for straight up rock they were able to start experimenting in the prog direction more - and wow does it make for better songs.

The album has my 8th favorite Rush song (By-Tor) plus a bunch of other songs that are just awesome.  Other groups would love to have songs as good as Fly By Night, Anthem,, Beneath, Between and Behind and even In The End.  But I can't call those songs stone cold classics (by Rush standards) - Rush's catalog is so deep.  But they are awesome.  For anybody who was paying attention is should have been obvious that if the first album had not demonstrated something special was going on, this one should have proven that something magical was brewing in Canada.

Another point - this is another complete and total album.  I can listen to it and never skip a song.  Some folks might not like Rivendell (for example).  But I do.  Not only that, its like the first album - it fits together so one song flows into the next and you don't want to skip anything.  So even a good song (but not great song) like Rivendell just fits perfectly.  As I have said before - Rush were geniuses at fitting albums together so the hole was even greater than there sum of the parts.  Difficult for a group to have one such total and complete album.  To have 2 of these sort of albums at the start of your career is even more difficult.

Just wonderful.

• Like 4

Rush - Caress of Steel

This album stats off with one song that is very strong (Bastille Day) then it has the ok I Think I'm Going Bald.  The it has another very strong song (Lakeside Park).  Lakeside Park and Bastille Day stand comfortably right with the near great songs from FBN like Anthem, FBN and Beneath, Between & Behind.  So far this album has the makings of another great Rush album.  Then, sigh, we get The Necromancer & The Fountain Of Lamneth.  Yes, yes I know.  No CoS then no 2112, no AFTK's, no etc etc etc.  It was a necessary step in Rush's development.

That being said, my respect for the 2 weak songs on the album has grown somewhat recently thanks to having watched Rocky Kunar of the Mood Lifters (a Rush cover band) sing those songs live on Youtube.  In particular my respect for The Fountain of Lamneth has grown.  These 2 songs used to be among my most disliked Rush songs - only Dog Years and Virtuality were worse.  Now they are defiantly better than basically everything on VT (not exactly high praise in my book) but they may also be better than some other songs from T4E and RTB's.  As I said, my respect for The Fountain of Lamneth has brown - considerably thanks to Rocky's performances.  Shockingly, I actually sort of like the song now.  As in its ok, decent.  Not special but at least ok.  Which is a huge jump for me.  

So now its an album with 2 very strong songs and a couple of ok songs (one of which is half the album) and one that well, may still take some time to grow on me.  Thats a heck of a lot better than what I used t think of the album.

• Like 4

The Who - Hooligans

Never heard of this one?  Its a 2 record greatest hits album.

Question - How do you fit The Who's greatest hits onto just 2 records?

Answer - You can't.  Some just have to be left off.

Here they left off anything that was post Keith Moon.  Plus they left off hits like See Me, Feel Me, My Wife, Boris The Spider, Magic Bus, Substitute, Love Reign Over Me, My Generation (weird) and (strangest of all IMO) Wont Get Fooled Again.  Lets face it, this could have been a 3 or 4 record set - easily.  Thats how great The Who's collection is.  Still, an awesome album.  

• Like 2

• The topic was locked