Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear

Blind Guardian - Follow the Blind

Angra - Temple of Shadows

Thoughts on BG? I love those two, very simple compared to what came later

I keep meaning to try Angra

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Thoughts on BG? I love those two, very simple compared to what came later

I keep meaning to try Angra

I knew a number of songs off those records but never played either of them all the way through before. I've been trying to play new albums this month or at least records I've never finished. BG's first two were enjoyable but you're right that they're simple compared to what comes next. 

You should absolutely try that Angra record. I really think you'll like it. It has all the best over-the top power metal tropes you could hope for. Kiko's performance on this record is why some folks were excited about him joining Megadeth in 2016. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chronos said:

51QET9CvStL._SY580_.jpg

Inspired by ST3V's post a couple of pages ago. I enjoy this album.

Easily one of my favorite singer songwriters. He and Alan Griffiths, the guy who helped with this and the 90s TFF albums, are damn near as good a duo as he and Curt Smith (Curt's got that iconic voice)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, taurus said:

Holy moly! I bet I haven't heard that album in 30 years. My vinyl is pretty beat up - go a lot of spins back when it was a new record

I hadn't listened to "Double Vision" in quite a while myself.

I found that I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Much better musically and lyrically than I remembered.

It is a rock solid follow up to Foreigner's debut.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Taylor Swift-Red Taylor's Version (9/10)

Just the vault songs.  and it actually turns red into a top tier DOUBLE ALBUM!!!!! if you play al 2 hours that is.

Mick

Definitely! I didn't like the version of Babe that came out a few years back (forget the band's name she gave it too), but I love her version so much! 

It's interesting because take away the ambitious pop of the main album, and replace them with the more typical country fair of the bonus tracks, and you'd still have a superior follow up to Speak Now. But I am glad she took the risks she did, it paid off bountifully (although I can't say I approve of her going full pop, but the last few albums have still seen a nice balance between chart pop and her more down to earth early style).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Definitely! I didn't like the version of Babe that came out a few years back (forget the band's name she gave it too), but I love her version so much! 

It's interesting because take away the ambitious pop of the main album, and replace them with the more typical country fair of the bonus tracks, and you'd still have a superior follow up to Speak Now. But I am glad she took the risks she did, it paid off bountifully (although I can't say I approve of her going full pop, but the last few albums have still seen a nice balance between chart pop and her more down to earth early style).

it's funny you say that.  for all her success as a pop queen.  if you play the pop records and be objective (which i've been doing) it's a really rocky era like.....i'm not crazy about 1989 as much as I used  to be.....all the hooks are just her repeating 1 phrase till you vomit, lol.  Not crazy about Reputation or Midnights but i love Lover and the pop elements on Red.

it's not all banger paradise but it's interesting.

Mick

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

it's funny you say that.  for all her success as a pop queen.  if you play the pop records and be objective (which i've been doing) it's a really rocky era like.....i'm not crazy about 1989 as much as I used  to be.....all the hooks are just her repeating 1 phrase till you vomit, lol.  Not crazy about Reputation or Midnights but i love Lover and the pop elements on Red.

it's not all banger paradise but it's interesting.

Mick

Personally I love Midnights and Reputation. I think Lover improves upon the rather flat production of 1989 (honestly I have always found that album to be great songwise, but a bit too cold productionwise). Midnights to me is an extension of her last four albums, it brings all the elements together beautifully for me. But the issues I have with 1989 apply even moreso to Midnights. I feel the cold production is...off.

Reputation is the album that most divides the fanbase. For me it's a total vibe and was a record I needed exactly when I needed it.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:12 PM, ST3V said:

Glossolalia - Album by Steve Walsh | Spotify

I oddly like it... I don't think I've ever been as confused with an album that I like than this one. 

This still holds true today. It's an experimental mess of both the beautiful and the ugly, and I really vibe with it

• The topic was locked