Taylor Swift-Red (10/10)

James Taylor-JT (10/10)

Dua Lipa-Future Nostalgia (8/10)

Olivia Rodrigo-Sour (10/10)

Lana del Rey-Honeymoon (9/10)

now

Bob Dylan-Modern Times (9/10)

Mick

I love Lana. I can't quite get onboard the Dua Lipa bandwagon. I find her music excellently produced, terrific singles, but unlike Olivia, absolutely zero personality. She seems to be rehashing the early 2000s disco pop scene that was massive in the UK without really being a personality I can find fun. But I do enjoy the singles a lot. Does this make sense? She's like a microwave dinner version of Kylie Minogue.

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

I love Lana. I can't quite get onboard the Dua Lipa bandwagon. I find her music excellently produced, terrific singles, but unlike Olivia, absolutely zero personality. She seems to be rehashing the early 2000s disco pop scene that was massive in the UK without really being a personality I can find fun. But I do enjoy the singles a lot. Does this make sense? She's like a microwave dinner version of Kylie Minogue.

Lana is very.........niche.  sometimes i love what she does......others im ike.....good god women release 1 upbeat song, lol

it's so layered yet one note.  its like a riddle.  i don't love everything she put out but her good albums are so good.

Mick

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

All last Night

Joni Mitchell-Court & Spark (9/10)

Harry Chapin-Short Stories (10/10)

Taylor Swift-Red (10/10)

James Taylor-JT (10/10)

now

Bob Dylan-Modern Times (9/10)

Mick

IMO, Future Nostalgia would be a 10 without the last two tracks, especially Boys Will Be Boys

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

IMO, Future Nostalgia would be a 10 without the last two tracks, especially Boys Will Be Boys

Yeah it doesn't quite realize its ambitions on those last two. Love the rest of the album though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

How do you find Roll The Bones? I would not ever say it's their greatest work, but I love it so damn much these days, and I can't tell you why. The opening punch of the first three songs is my favourite of their discography.

I've never cared for it much, aside from a few killer tracks. The tinny production doesn't help matters; I wish it had more balls. That said, yesterday's spin was the most enjoyable time I'd ever spent with it since its release -- and like you remarked, I can't tell you why! I intend to play it again soon in an effort to "connect" with the weaker tracks. And I still think Geddy's voice sounds weird on this album.

Killer!: Dreamline, Bravado, Ghost of a Chance

Decent: Roll the Bones, Where's My Thing?

Filler: Face Up, Heresy, The Big Wheel (This one's so unmemorable for me that I can never recall how it sounds)

Execrable: You Bet Your Life, and especially Neurotica.  

Hoping I can level up the "Filler" tracks to "Decent." There's no hope for Neurotica though!  :laugh:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Joni Mitchell-Court & Spark (9/10)

Harry Chapin-Short Stories (10/10)

Taylor Swift-Red (10/10)

James Taylor-JT (10/10)

Threw you a like thanks to the Harry Chapin. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chronos said:

Threw you a like thanks to the Harry Chapin. 

Chapin is so good.  i grew up on him.  he is such a GREAT songwriter.

Makes me miss the days of great storytelling in song.

Mick

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yeah it doesn't quite realize its ambitions on those last two. Love the rest of the album though.

I love the rest of it, too. Good In Bed kinda reminds me of Lily Allen, but it just doesn't fit the upbeat, dancey vibes of the first nine songs. Boys Will Boys is extremely out of place, and the children's choir and strings make it feel extremely cheesy to me, and take away from the message.

• Like 1

I have to say i don't realy care if Olivia shits the bed the rest of her career.  She made Sour.  IMO one of my fav pop album from the last decade. and she's vocally the best pop SINGER in years.  her voice is amazing. naturally just....butter.

it's perfect.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

I have to say i don't realy care if Olivia shits the bed the rest of her career.  She made Sour.  IMO one of my fav pop album from the last decade. and she's vocally the best pop SINGER in years.  her voice is amazing. naturally just....butter.

it's perfect.

Mick

Yes agreed! I hope her career blossoms. She gets compared a lot to Taylor, which is promising, but many successful female debuts see a dip on the second. Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson and Norah Jones for three examples. She's young, seems to know what she likes, and when she was called out on the basis of "ripping off other artists", she generally got support from those artists (Taylor Swift and Paramore especially). So, she has a lot going for her

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Yes agreed! I hope her career blossoms. She gets compared a lot to Taylor, which is promising, but many successful female debuts see a dip on the second. Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson and Norah Jones for three examples. She's young, seems to know what she likes, and when she was called out on the basis of "ripping off other artists", she generally got support from those artists (Taylor Swift and Paramore especially). So, she has a lot going for her

i know olivia is back in the Studio.....she posted pics.....so we will see what happens from here.

but her buzz last year was giving early Taylor vibes.

And the fact that the record company gave her a long rope as far as making the record she wanted to make astounded me.

Mick

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i know olivia is back in the Studio.....she posted pics.....so we will see what happens from here.

but her buzz last year was giving early Taylor vibes.

And the fact that the record company gave her a long rope as far as making the record she wanted to make astounded me.

Mick

Same. It sounds like a third album to me (most female pop stars have cliche first and second albums)

• Like 2

Steely Dan-The Royal Scam (10/10)

Ya know?  i'm tired of the trope "Steely Dan write gibberish lyrics"  NO......if you ever bothered to read the lyrics.  they're songs are cautionary stories of seedy people.

they're songs are stories.  weird ones i grant you but the notion that they're  "about nothing"  is blathering idiot nonsense.

:rantoff:

lol.

Mick

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Ya know?  i'm tired of the trope "Steely Dan write gibberish lyrics"  NO......if you ever bothered to read the lyrics.  they're songs are cautionary stories of seedy people.

they're songs are stories.  weird ones i grant you but the notion that they're  "about nothing"  is blathering idiot nonsense.

lol.

Mick

Okay but I'm tired of you hating on Midnights. 🤣🤣🤣

7 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Okay but I'm tired of you hating on Midnights. 🤣🤣🤣

i hate taylor swift and her writing over and over "oh i'm an anti hero......no one gets me........you ryined a good thing. i love pain......." SHUUUUUUUUUT UP are you 33 or 18? your not an anti-hero.  maybe your just a frigid bitch. and you want revenge  SIT DOWN.

you getting old Tay tay........big f***ing deal.

i have zero sympathy.

like if i do it's beause i feel bad her well's run dry. i'm kidding expect i'm dead serious lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

15 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i hate taylor swift and her writing over and over "oh i'm an anti hero......no one gets me........you ryined a good thing. i love pain......." SHUUUUUUUUUT UP are you 33 or 18? your not an anti-hero.  maybe your just a frigid bitch. and you want revenge  SIT DOWN.

you getting old Tay tay........big f***ing deal.

i have zero sympathy.

like if i do it's beause i feel bad her well's run dry. i'm kidding expect i'm dead serious lol

Mick

That's not at all what I got from the album 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

lol.

Mick

Wow, if people thought that Steely Dan had lyrics about nothing what do they think about some of Dylan's lyrics 😄

I may not always know exactly what Steely Dan is talking about in every song but I can always hear that they are telling a story.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Wow, if people thought that Steely Dan had lyrics about nothing what do they think about some of Dylan's lyrics 😄

I may not always know exactly what Steely Dan is talking about in every song but I can always tell that they are telling a story.

i know it's become like an accepted thing to say and it's just a crutch for folks that don't enjoy them.

it's just an un-true uninformed  bullshit strawman point to make really:laugh:

Mick

• Like 1

Gabrielle Aplin - Phosphorescent (4th listen, review still pending)

Coldplay - Ghost Stories (at the time this was a bit of a let down, in hindsight it’s the true dark horse of their catalogue thus far)

Mary J Blige - My Life (first listen, niiiiice)

Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever (more than ever this album just makes me want to play halo, lol)

Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs (it’s classic Death Cab, what else is there to say?)

Twenty One Pilots - Blurryface (this album has always amazed me in it’s construction, it’s like they wrote some really weird song structures and vulnerable lyrics than applied the biggest brightest pop hooks and sound effects of the day they could to them. Well it worked anyway.)

State Champs - Around The World And Back (now this one is getting as much play as Save Face did from me last summer, great recs S25S, sorry I don’t get around to them more quickly)

• Like 1

• The topic was locked