Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Got some time so I am pulling some more albums out of the moving box.

Led Zeppelin - Children of the Moon.

Wait you say.  I have never heard of that Zep album b4.  What is it?

Its a 2 record boot of a show they did at the LA Forum on 3/25/75.  Moby Dick take up an entire side of one of the 2 records - 1/4 of the entire show!!  Good thing - its the song I enjoy the most from the show..

Its weird, I must have gone through a Zep phase because I own a fair number of Zeppelin albums but I am not really thrilled with them.  I don't dislike them but I am not crazy about them either.  I think it has something to do with Robert Plants voice - it does not appeal to me.  Thats one of the reasons why I much prefer The Who to Zeppelin.  Roger Daltrey's voice on the other hand I do enjoy.

Anyway, a decent boot.  But nothing I am crazy about.

• Like 3

Next out of the moving box.

Bachman - Turner Overdrive - Best of B.T.O.

Almost missed the T in B.T.O. when I typed it out - The Best of B.O.?  That would have gotten some LOL responses.  

Seriously though, the album has 4 songs I like, (Roll On Down The Highway, Let It Ride, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet & Takin' Care Of Business).  The other 5 songs on the album don't do much for me.  So its an ok album.  I know its the only BTO album I have.  Never got to seem live - had the chance and passed on it.  They were opening for VH who were on tour with Sammy (who had just joined VH) and I passed on going to the show.  Turned out it was really the best chance I ever had to see either band.  Regret not going but hey, thats life.

Lets see what next out of the box....

• Like 2

This is turing into a 1960's / 70's night.

Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Viida.

Must have picked this up used - the price sicker of $2.50 is still on it.  Side 1 is decent.  Side 2 is the classic song.  A bit dated (it came out in 1968) but still awesome in its own way. 

• Like 2

Styx - Kilroy Was Here

Got this one used (it still has a price sticker of $1.99 on it).  I like Styx, have multiple albums and have seen them live multiple times but am not a huge fan.  That being said, I knew some folks who were big Styx fans and they hated this album.  It had been a while since I had listened to it so I was curious what my reaction would be.  Well, it sounds like it came out it 1983 (which it did) and I don't really mean that in a good way.  The 2 big hits (Mr. Roboto & Don't Let It End) are still good but the rest of the album is not impressive to my ears.  Good concept however.  Pity they just did weird things musically (much of it related to what was going on musically at the time) - it could have been a good album.

If I am in the mood for the big hits again I will pull it out but not likely to give the entire record another listen. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Styx - Kilroy Was Here

Got this one used (it still has a price sticker of $1.99 on it).  I like Styx, have multiple albums and have seen them live multiple times but am not a huge fan.  That being said, I knew some folks who were big Styx fans and they hated this album.  It had been a while since I had listened to it so I was curious what my reaction would be.  Well, it sounds like it came out it 1983 (which it did) and I don't really mean that in a good way.  The 2 big hits (Mr. Roboto & Don't Let It End) are still good but the rest of the album is not impressive to my ears.  Good concept however.  Pity they just did weird things musically (much of it related to what was going on musically at the time) - it could have been a good album.

If I am in the mood for the big hits again I will pull it out but not likely to give the entire record another listen. 

• Like 1

Last album for th night 

Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien

First off - cool cover.  Of course, basically anything with The Silver Surfer and Galactus will be cool.  As for the album, its been a long time since I listened to it and wow - it was much better than I remembered.  I remembered it as decent.  Its more than decent.  Or maybe I was just in the right mood for it.  Very enjoyable.  Good way to end the night.  We will set what comes out of the box tomorrow (if I get the time).

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 4:52 PM, ST3V said:

Raoul And The Kings Of Spain (Expanded Edition) - Album by Tears For Fears  | Spotify

THIS AND ELEMENTAL SHOULDVE BEEN AS HUGE AS SONGS FROM THE BIG CHAIR AND THE SEEDS OF LOVE

And again

I can't get enough

12 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Styx - Kilroy Was Here

I've grown to not hate it, but I don't rate it very highly at all. I agree, it's not aged in a way that works for me. Honestly? Prefer Edge Of The Century.

• Like 2

Taylor Swift-Red (10/10)

Now i like MOST of her work.  but IMO she could record another 30 albums.  but this was her peak and will never topped IMO.  she may well record great albums in the future but this was her best yes even over folklore (and i'm a mark for that one)

Mick

• Like 2

• The topic was locked