Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect

Within Temptation - The Heart Of Everything

First time listen. Never would've picked these up if it weren't for seeing these bands mentioned often by people on here (and to a lesser extent people on ProgArchives). Dug both. A lot.

That's definitely Within Temptation's best album.

Darn! It was great! Is there a second best that sometimes fans say is actually their best to sound contrarian I should check out?

First time listen. Never would've picked these up if it weren't for seeing these bands mentioned often by people on here (and to a lesser extent people on ProgArchives). Dug both. A lot.

Darn! It was great! Is there a second best that sometimes fans say is actually their best to sound contrarian I should check out?

The Silent Force and Mother Earth.

• Like 1

Their entire discography is killer.

Mother Earth

The Silent Force

The Unforgiving

Hydra

Resist

My personal favourite is The Silent Force.

• Like 1

Mastodon- Once More 'Round The Sun (9/10)

I feel modern Mastodon has finally opened up to me. What a glorious album this is!

Biffy Clyro- The Myth Of The Happily Ever After (10/10)

Probably my favourite album of the year, and somehow I may love it more than last year's. Album of the year, two years in a row?

• Like 1

Biffy Clyro- Blackened Sky (9/10)

Shades of Mineral, pre-mainstream Jimmy Eat World, grunge and the then burgeoning sound of the UK emo scene, the debut Biffy album sounds very of its time, and unlike anything else in their discography. One of the most exciting UK debuts of the millennium, it's clear to see why the band cultivated a hardcore fanbase with their early releases, but the melodies on display here also provide a glimpse of the future chart titans that can sell out stadiums across the world as well.

• Like 1

Biffy Clyro- Vertigo Of Bliss (8/10)

The bands second album features a more unique sound and some really inventive songwriting. Not my favourite of their albums, but it's got plenty of charm.

• Like 1

Trivium- Ascendancy (10/10)

I still don't think Trivium have bettered this phenomenal album. I would take this over pretty much any other metal album ever.

• Like 3

Dream Theater- A View From The Top Of The World (8/10)

This is such a good album. But nothing here is particularly exciting, just rock solid, and impeccably produced. I like it, not sure I love it.

• Like 3

AnthraxPersistenceOfTime.jpg

When I first listened to this album I didn't quite get it. I wanted the thrash I was used to from them. As it turns out the album was WAY ahead of it's time. My favorite from them many years running...

Edited by Pressure/Hopenosis
  • Like 1

Biffy Clyro- Infinity Land (9/10)

I once upon a time thought this was their best album. It's not for me anymore, but I still think it's a great, GREAT album.

• Like 1

Foo Fighters-One by One (9/10)

first off my problem with them (and it still holds) they have some of the flattest production i've ever heard from a major rock band. that's why they blow people away live. these songs in concert have much more punch.

however i can now see past that. these guys write such hooky addicting songs. and every one can get stuck in your head.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

first off my problem with them (and it still holds) they have some of the flattest production i've ever heard from a major rock band. that's why they blow people away live. these songs in concert have much more punch.

however i can now see past that. these guys write such hooky addicting songs. and every one can get stuck in your head.

Mick

I recall seeing in a documentary about the making of Wasting Light that they would take mixes out to someone's old beat up junker car on cassette tape to listen to them, with the theory, "if it sounds good in that, it'll sound good anywhere." I'm not sure how well that holds up to scrutiny.... although I do think Wasting Light is their best album, and one of their better production efforts as well.

• Like 1

Mick

I recall seeing in a documentary about the making of Wasting Light that they would take mixes out to someone's old beat up junker car on cassette tape to listen to them, with the theory, "if it sounds good in that, it'll sound good anywhere." I'm not sure how well that holds up to scrutiny.... although I do think Wasting Light is their best album, and one of their better production efforts as well.

i don't really think their theory works, lol

but hey again the songs are there. so you can't be too hard even though i'm like oh if they just had better production.

Mick

• Like 1

• The topic was locked