Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Had a sleepless night, yay for anxiety and stress.

Rush- 2112 

Rush- Permanent Waves 

Rush- Clockwork Angels 

Alter Bridge- The Last Hero 

Idlewild- 100 Broken Windows 

Rhapsody- Dawn Of Victory

Taylor Swift- Midnights 

The latest Taylor Swift is interesting. It very much sounds like the follow up to 2019's Lover. A departure from Folklore/Evermore (which I think is a smart move, because you can wear a good idea out). This album felt bland first listen, but it's a real grower. Doesn't sound like she is wanting hit singles. This is a late night album, perfect for a smoke, candles and blankets.

• Like 6

Taylor Swift- Midnights 

This is a beautiful album, it reveals more layers with every spin. It doesn't carry the outdoorsy, floral feel of the last two albums, but it certainly channels their depth via the more modern pop approaches of such records as 1989 or Lover. It lives up to its title, it's a beautiful late night record, putting me in mind of Fleetwood Mac's Mirage, Carole King's Tapestry or The Killers Imploding The Mirage as an album that just feels perfect for dark nights and a dash of introspection. 

I don't think it's her finest work, but it's another worthy release from a great pop singer songwriter.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Taylor Swift-Midnights.

This is a tough one.  it's not the disaster i feared but at the same time........on my third listen.....i wouldn't say to someone "you MUST hear midnights.  it's essential Swift"

it's a very VERY chill.  almost o the point it gets boring.

but there are gems are here for sure

Lavender Haze

Anti-hero

Snow on The Beach

Midnight Rain

Question?

Bejeweled

But by around song 10.......i'm kinda checked out.  the chill vibe winds up making a 44 minute album sound at least an hour.  even funnier cause the fans were like "midnights will be a rock albums.  yea.....strike out there. it's lover played at half speed.  

but.......it's not a bad album and i'll let you know in a week or 2 if i will like it better.  it's too early.

but right know.......7/10.....subject to get better or worse.

but... color me mildly disappointed.

Mick

• Like 1

Well I haven’t listened to any albums today but I’ve been listening to Haley Williams’ Everything Is Emo podcast and I feel like posting about that. If you haven’t checked it out, it’s more of a prerecorded radio show where Haley picks out a bunch of songs she likes and talks a little about each of them and what they mean to her and emo culture. A lot of stuff I know already and even more stuff that I’m hearing for the first time (American Football really catching my attention…)

• Like 1

Since Wednesday:

Adventures - Supersonic Home

Pollyanna - Slime

Polar Bear Club - Sometimes Things Just Disappear 

Polar Bear Club - Chasing Hamburg

Polar Bear Club - Clash Battle Guilt Pride

Polar Bear Club - Death Chorus

Polar Bear Club - The Redder, The Better EP

Taylor Swift - Midnights

A few thoughts:

Adventures is a side-project featuring a few members of Code Orange. Their sound is much more melodic and upbeat compared to Code Orange.

Pollyanna is a great female-fronted band from New Jersey. I discovered then last December, right before I saw them open for one of my favorite bands, State Champs. Slime is their debut album, which came out in June. To me, it sounds like a mix of punk, grunge, and pop. I'm still waiting on the vinyl I pre-ordered.

Polar Bear Club is an extremely underrated (IMO) band from Rochester, NY. They're more of a post-hardcore and melodic hardcore band. They have a live album recorded at Rochester Montage Music Hall.

I enjoyed the new T-Swift album. I thought it was somewhat darker sonically, and I think that's a good fit for these songs.

Taylor Swift-Midnights (7/10)

a perfectly good album but i'm not jumping up and down.

5 plays in it kinda fees like a minor back peddle after Folklore and Evermore.

We've heard do this and frankly a lot better in the past.

now.

Tremonti-Dust (10/10)

needed this.

Mick

• Like 1

Taylor Swift- Midnights 

This is just getting better and better for me. Went from thinking it was very good, now I think it is my favourite since Reputation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Taylor Swift- Midnights 

This is just getting better and better for me. Went from thinking it was very good, now I think it is my favourite since Reputation.

can't say that for me.

in fact get ready........i'd sooner play reputation to this.

Mick

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

can't say that for me.

in fact get ready........i'd sooner play reputation to this.

Mick

I'm a little surprised because this is a rich album, and it's Lover like vibe made me think it would be an instant win for you

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I'm a little surprised because this is a rich album, and it's Lover like vibe made me think it would be an instant win for you

this is the first time tay's made something middle of the road for me.  

to me that's kinda worse than makig a trainwreck.

cause i don't realy feel much for this one.

Mick

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

this is the first time tay's made something middle of the road for me.  

to me that's kinda worse than makig a trainwreck.

cause i don't realy feel much for this one.

Mick

I mean it's only been a day. This is such a beautiful record, I swear it will grow!

The 1975-Being Funny In A foreign Language.

Now this is fun throwback pop done exceedingly well.  one of the most fun surprises of the year for me. throw some barouge pop in there for good measure.

i ought to give  this band more attention.  i love them  everytime i play them

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

1 hour ago, Super25Smasher said:

Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loneliest Time

Any good? She is underrated 

• Like 1

Taylor Swift- Midnights 

Love this album more and more. A superior album to the similar Lover. Start to finish, this is a mature, quietly loud album that bursts with personality, but stays grounded, perfectly suitable for late night listening. I also think it's vocally her most accomplished record to date.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Any good? She is underrated 

It's really good IMO. There's a lot of disco and funk elements, and she has an incredible voice.

• The topic was locked