Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Night Ranger- ATBPO (9/10)

Why are we not talking about Night Ranger anymore? The rock world gets so excited for Styx, but recent NR is every bit as fantastic. This new album is stellar!

I love this album.

I recently bought the first two NR albums (Dawn Patrol is not easy to get hold of brand new at a decent price!).

Now I had no idea they were still going, saw they had a new album, and honestly they aren't getting the hype Styx is getting and I just don't know why!

I only have Dawn Patrol, didn't realize they were good past their first couple releases. Also didn't realize they were still going. I'll have to check that new record out!

• Like 2

Why are we not talking about Night Ranger anymore? The rock world gets so excited for Styx, but recent NR is every bit as fantastic. This new album is stellar!

I love this album.

I recently bought the first two NR albums (Dawn Patrol is not easy to get hold of brand new at a decent price!).

Now I had no idea they were still going, saw they had a new album, and honestly they aren't getting the hype Styx is getting and I just don't know why!

I only have Dawn Patrol, didn't realize they were good past their first couple releases. Also didn't realize they were still going. I'll have to check that new record out!

Night Ranger is a Boston Case for me in that the first album is so good i never go beyond it. i have heard more but i'm always like "Fine.....now where did i put Dawn patrol?"

lol.

Mick

• Like 1

I love this album.

Night Ranger is a Boston Case for me in that the first album is so good i never go beyond it. i have heard more but i'm always like "Fine.....now where did i put Dawn patrol?"

lol.

Mick

Poor Boston. Cursed with one of the greatest albums of all time as their debut, unable to make anything even close again.

• Like 2

Depeche Mode - Speak And Spell

Pretty typical synth pop from a band that seems not to have found its identity yet. Some good songs, particularly towards the beginning and end, but the overall production isn’t that creative for its time and the middle is pretty saggy.

Rise Against - Nowhere Generation

Lean, loud, and immediately catchy. Memorable hooks all over, and passionate singing mixed with some killer instrumentals make this a pleasure to listen to. The lyrics are heavy on slogans and light on nuance and detail, but as far as I understand it doesn’t take much nuance and detail to explain what you think of modern politics and social problems in a nutshell, which seems to be the point here.

Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell

\m/

• Like 1

I love this album.

lol.

Mick

Midnight Madness and 7 Wishes are far too good to relegate them to one album status for me. And the new album is fantastic.

Night Ranger I think are as brilliant for the most part as Survivor, only NR have a bigger discography.

• Like 1

Oh and yesterday it was:

King Crimson - Beat (first time listen: It seems more introspective than Discipline, though nothing is as outright relaxed as Matte Kudasai. Is this really KC's worst? Cuz it's really good)

Renaissance - Ashes Are Burning (first time listen: This is the most AM radio sounding Renaissance album I've heard. I've seen this called their best... better than Scheherezade? Better than Turn Of The Cards?? I think not. Not bad though.)

Billy Joel - The Stranger (Not my first time listen, lol. But I don't revisit Joel all that often. He's great! I have to admit this might be his best album, though Everybody Has A Dream doesn't stick the landing for me. Too schmaltzy, it sounds like the kind of song Steely Dan would satirize. A shame, because everything else here is fantastic.)

A good majority of fans think The Stranger is Billy's best album. So, you're not alone in thinking that it is.

But I don't want it to be! lol Does that make any sense? I want it to be 52nd Street, but it can't quite keep up with The Stranger song for song.

Lol, 52nd Street is my personal favorite Billy Joel album... easily.

Songs from the Attic is mine, by leagues.

I love this album.

lol.

Mick

So true. A cautionary tale to all to keep a little something in the bag for after your wedding night. :lol:

• Like 1

I love this album.

Their 2011 album Somewhere In California, and their 2014 album High Road are worth checking out
  • Like 1

I love this album.

Their 2011 album Somewhere In California, and their 2014 album High Road are worth checking out

From the debut up to and including Man in Motion they were incredible. After that, still good but can be patchy.

• Like 1

Saturday night listening -

81n%2B8QMo0fS._SX522_.jpg

KK's post Priest album - it was OK but I was slightly underwelmed .... perhaps expecting too much.

6155c3d06d4f7.jpg

New release of a 1970 Neil Young concert from Carnegie Hall - superb!!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

KK's Priest- Sermons Of The Sinner (first time listen)

This is shockingly awful. I thought the singles were terrible and hoped maybe the album would have more to show... absolutely not. The worst album I've heard this year.

The lyrics, I'm sorry it's hard to believe native English speakers could write so poorly.

• Like 2

Night Ranger-ATBPO

this was really good. i don't know if it's my fav new Album an old band put out. Styx still owns that hand-ily for me.

But this was fun.

the guitar playing is very Steve Lukathar here.

Mick

• Like 2

OutKast - Stankonia

No Doubt - The Return Of Saturn

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic

Adolescents - Adolescents

• Like 2

kk-s-priest-sermons-of-the-sinner-jpg-2.jpg

What's the verdict??

I like it, it's better than I thought it would be. There's a lot of variety, fast past metal songs, catchy short songs, big epics, a couple of almost proggy ones. The production is solid, KK's solos are ripping, the riffs are good and Ripper sounds better than usual.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked