Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Since Sunday:

Yeah Universe - In Tandem EP
Midfield - Happy Thoughts EP
Midfield - Wishing, Wanting EP
Midfield - Bruised But Not Beaten EP
Millington - Millington (Vinyl)
Millington - Beatdown Generation EP (Vinyl)
Maloy - Twenty Something EP

Rush- A Farewell To Kings 

Rush- Hemispheres 

Something struck me listening to these two masterpieces: in the grand scheme of things, very little time separates Hemispheres from Roll The Bones, yet they sound worlds apart.

I think of "this is a seventies album, that is a nineties album", but the reality is they evolved so much in a short space of time it's crazy to me to think how it must have felt to be a fan following them from the early days. 

Anyway, these two albums are flawless to me. I absolutely adore them, and my relationship with Hemispheres has changed so much. Back to back, they are intoxicating and still so forward thinking. Some albums age badly, some albums are simply timeless. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Jimmy Eat World-Surviving (9/10)

ck

Who's ck and what has he done with Mick???

• Like 1

Margot Price - Stray (second listen, there's no reason anyone who's a fan of classic 60s/70s singer songwriters or classic 90s/00s singer songwriters shouldn't check this out)

Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Biomech

Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence

Dream Theater - Train Of Thought

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

he's somebody who had a stroke at his keyboard:laugh:

MICKTREECRWQWERSW

:16ton:

Seriously though that Jimmy album is good. Although I don't much care for the pop song.

• Like 1

Nightwish- Wishmaster 

Nightwish- Century Child 

I am still utterly disappointed in the last Nightwish album, so much so I find myself rarely coming back to them anymore which is very strange. So I chose these two Tarja Turunen lead classics, and I'm glad I did because it reminded me why this band means so much to me. It felt really great immersing myself in their sound and style again! Sometimes a break from a band you love does you good.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

:16ton:

Seriously though that Jimmy album is good. Although I don't much care for the pop song.

i love Surviving.  I actually like it a lot better than integrity blues...which i gave an 8 but i think i was too generous.  it's more a 7 to me cause i find it very uneven.  Surviving is shorter it's more punchy....less fat to trim.  plus it's just fun.

Mick

• Like 1

Jefferson Airplan - Surrealistic Pillow

Got this one used (it still has a price sticker of $2.50 on it).  Most of the songs are ok.  They fit in great for their time and likely would have been interesting listing.  But they don't thrill me.  I don't dislike them either.  They are just something from the past that is ok.  The exceptions are the 2 big hits, White Rabbit (wow) and Somebody To Love (wow times 10).  Grace Slick's vocals have more than stood the test of time.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Nightwish- Wishmaster 

Nightwish- Century Child 

I am still utterly disappointed in the last Nightwish album, so much so I find myself rarely coming back to them anymore which is very strange. So I chose these two Tarja Turunen lead classics, and I'm glad I did because it reminded me why this band means so much to me. It felt really great immersing myself in their sound and style again! Sometimes a break from a band you love does you good.

Totally agree with you.  That last album was such a dog I can't listen to it.  But the 2 album you mentioned are great.  Love them (amount other Nightwish albums).

• Like 1

Just now, TheAccountant said:

Totally agree with you.  That last album was such a dog I can't listen to it.  But the 2 album you mentioned are great.  Love them (amount other Nightwish albums).

Human Nature was a full on display of my favourite band forgetting to do what they do best. And honestly I'm slowly getting sick of Floor. Nightwish haven't felt like a band in a long time to me, they seem more like Floor and her stage musicians, and it's getting really boring. I loved Endless Forms but HN was just really uninspiring. 

But reminding myself of the earlier albums that have meant so much to me is giving me a rush of excitement I've not felt for them for a while. A reminder that a band may grow away from your tastes, but you can still forever love them anyway. Not hyped anymore for anything new from them. But it's all good, I've reminded myself that they don't need to ever impress me again with new material, they gave me so much already.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Yea i like nightwish but that last album..........not good.  i called it just not as god at first but i've liked it less and less.  Now i can call it what it is A Total fail.  sorry can't mince words here  I do not like t.

plus a double album with the most what da f**k disposable Frisbee of a disc 2 maybe ever in double album history, lol

Mick

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Yea i like nightwish but that last album..........not good.  i called it just not as god at first but i've liked it less and less.  Now i can call it what it is A Total fail.  sorry can't mince words here  I do not like t.

plus a double album with the most what da f**k disposable Frisbee of a disc 2 maybe ever in double album history, lol

Mick

Same here. I went from thinking it was really good, to just fine. But it's not "just fine". I have no desire to hear a single song off it, and this is one of my life's most treasured bands.

Now Marko is gone (my favourite member), I'm really not excited by them anymore. Sounds harsh but it's true.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Human Nature was a full on display of my favourite band forgetting to do what they do best. And honestly I'm slowly getting sick of Floor. Nightwish haven't felt like a band in a long time to me, they seem more like Floor and her stage musicians, and it's getting really boring. I loved Endless Forms but HN was just really uninspiring. 

But reminding myself of the earlier albums that have meant so much to me is giving me a rush of excitement I've not felt for them for a while. A reminder that a band may grow away from your tastes, but you can still forever love them anyway. Not hyped anymore for anything new from them. But it's all good, I've reminded myself that they don't need to ever impress me again with new material, they gave me so much already.

100% agree with you about HN.  I listed to it once and was like "yuck!".  A friend of mine had warned me it was not good but his taste runs heaver then mine so I figured I would like it.  No.  Not at all.  Also, agree with you about Endless Forms.  I got to see them live in a small venue in NYC b4 I had even heard the album so my first exposure to the album was live.  Fun show and then I listened to the album (which I bought at the show) and it confirmed for me that it was a very good album.  

Floor is fine with me.  But I agree that the band is getting thin with the loss of Juka and now Marco.  Competent replacements but thats all the replacement have struck me as - competent.  Big holes that they just can't fill.  So in that sense, yes, I agree that it is slowly becoming her and her backing band.  A pity.

In a way its very sad, but not a shock.  Most bands have a creative life of about 10 years, at most.  Its the very rare band that has a creative life that runs longer.  A group might have a strong song or 2 (or album if very lucky) but the bulk of most groups creative genius is spent within 10 years.  If they continue beyond the 10 years its often because there was a significant turnover and the additions brought in new ideas to the songwriting process (and live shows).

Yes, there are groups that continue to put out very good music well beyond the 10 years (Rush is a good example) but they are the exception.  Nightwish continued to do so (since their first album can out in 1998 their 10 years were up around 2008) but I would argue that (1) they are a bit of an exception and (2) even though Thomas does the vast bulk of the songwriting, the 10 year window was extended a bit due to the changes in lead singers.  That forced changes which kept things creative / interesting.

Not really Floors fault that she is with them as their natural creative life began to wane.  At least thats my theory. 

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

The thing is that Floor is so charismatic and has such a stage presence that nobody else in the band can equal that except for Marco. That's why Nightwish feels so different now. I watched live clips from the current tour and they are really missing something on stage without Marco. It may feel like it's Floor and her musicians because nobody else in the band has any stage presence anymore besides her. Tuomas is into the show but he doesn't do any crowd interaction. The same with Emppu. He just stands there and plays. Troy can't do anything because he's usually sitting down when playing pipes and singing. Kai is a great drummer but doesn't have any kind of stage persona either. With Marco gone, Floor now has to pick up the slack when it comes to keeping the fans engaged throughout the show. Her presence stands out even more now that Marco isn't there to share those duties anymore.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

The thing is that Floor is so charismatic and has such a stage presence that nobody else in the band can equal that except for Marco. That's why Nightwish feels so different now. I watched live clips from the current tour and they are really missing something on stage without Marco. It may feel like it's Floor and her musicians because nobody else in the band has any stage presence anymore besides her. Tuomas is into the show but he doesn't do any crowd interaction. The same with Emppu. He just stands there and plays. Troy can't do anything because he's usually sitting down when playing pipes and singing. Kai is a great drummer but doesn't have any kind of stage persona either. With Marco gone, Floor now has to pick up the slack when it comes to keeping the fans engaged throughout the show. Her presence stands out even more now that Marco isn't there to share those duties anymore.

100% agree with you.  Not only the stage presence - I would also add that nobody else in the band can hold the vocals parts that Maro used to handle.  Troy handles some of them but its not the same.  So Floor actually handles some of the vocals Marco used to handle.  That puts even more of the spotlight on her.  Makes what she does even more impressive but again, it has the effect of making it Floor and her backing band.

7 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I absolutely love Floor by the way, I just meant the way the band feels now, I'm finding her presence and the lack of anyone else's grating. But you're absolutely correct. 

I wonder if something is going on with this band though, I can't help but notice Marko has stayed very busy and seems so much happier. And the band ..does feel less like a band these days.

It's great for them to have Floor, but it feels like they are resting on that more and more.

And I love Nightwish for the musical excess and self indulgence, but I hope they remember to write great songs next time. Human Nature is all about textures and has amazing ideas, but nothing grabs me at all. Epica really showed them up with Omega 

• The topic was locked