Trivium- In Waves

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Billie Eilish-Happier Than Ever (8/10)

Mick

More in depth thoughts?

• Like 1

Steely Dan-Pretzel Logic (10/10)

When every i play Supertramp.  I come Back to The Dan.  i aways call Supertramp the British SD.  Or it could be the reverse if you prefer, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 5

One Step From Falling - Stuck On The Wayside

Pennywise - About Time (Vinyl)

Bad Omens - THE DEATH OF PEACE OF MIND

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, goose said:

Supertramp_-_Crime_of_the_Century.jpg

220px-Supertramp_-_Famous_Last_Words.jpg

this band is a major fav now. i always liked them but about a year and change ago i really dove in.  It was ike how was it not always love with me?  they are literally everything i like about music, lol

proggy

Melodic

Quirky

Odd and at times funny lyrics

clear crisp production.

they are why i love music in a band.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Been is classical music afternoon.

Stravinsky - Pulcinella Suite

Stravinsky - Song Of The Nightingale

Not a shock in a way.  I know I have a lot of classical music box'ed up.  I almost certainly have more classical music then rock music to be honest.

Classical is prog unplugged  on a grander scale.  What's not to love?!?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, goose said:

Classical is prog unplugged  on a grander scale.  What's not to love?!?

Wish I could like your comment more than once!!!  So true!!  I also think of it as being unplugged symphonic / power metal.

I remember listing to Whitesnake's Still Of The Night when it came out in 1987 and telling people the heavy metal was the type of rock that was closest to classical.  They told me I was nuts.  Was connived I was right then and I still am confined I am right about that. 

• Like 1

Next out of the moving box:

Rush - Roll The Bones

When this came out I liked it more than Presto and I liked it more than Counterparts when that came out.  However, over the years those 2 albums have aged very well and my respect for both has gone way up.  This album has not aged well and my respect for it has gone way down.

RTB has the wonderful Dreamline and Bravado.  Great start.  Then the title track is ok.  But then Face Up is not very good and Where's My Thing is not very good either.  Side 2 starts with The Big Wheel which is decent, then it has Heresy which is again, decent but nothing special.  Same with Ghost Of a Chance.  Neurotica is weak.  It end with You Bet Your Life which is somewhere between weak and ok.  So 2 very good songs (almost great) and a bunch of ok songs and some weak songs.

One thing I will give praise for - once again Rush put the album together in such a way that it is greater than the sum of its parts.  Still, not a very strong album (by Rush standards).

One other thing.  Rupert Hine produced this album and Presto.  His albums have been called, thin, weak, watery (and even less compliments things).  Many Rush fans wish they had gone from HYF direct to Counterparts (or even skipped the synth era).  But I would argue that you can't ignore his importance to Rush.  Let me explain.

I believe the guy who produced HYF and Power Windows also produced Counterparts.  Rush wanted to work with him when they started to work on Presto but he was working with another band so they looked around and said "lets try something different."  Rupert Hine had a minimalist style (he had produced The Thompson Twins) so it was a different style.  Hine was not familiar with Rush and the first thing he did was listen to all of Rush's albums.  Then (per Beyond The Lighted Stage and Contents Under Pressure) he told them "You are one of the few true power trios out there.  What are you doing larding your songs up with all these keyboards and synths? ".  He suggested they ditch the keys and synths.  That helped settle the dispute over them that Geddy and Alex had.  If Rupert Hine was not there then its possible they would not have ditched them - at least not to the extent they did.  Put another way, just as CoS was necessary to get 2112, AFTK etc, so Hines 2 albums were necessary to get Counterparts (which many Rush fans love).  So don't hate the thin sound of Rupert's albums.  Thank him for it.  He pushed them in a necessary direction after the synth era (which I very much enjoy but many don't).

So, not a top tear Rush album.  Not even a middle of the pack album.  But it has some good moments and it was a necessary album that set the stage for latter, better, albums.

• Like 5

Ozzy - Bark at the Moon.

Some may think this album is a real dog.  I don't.  It has one (arguably) great song (the title track) but the rest of the songs are good, solid & decent,  Not great - no, not at all.  But I can listen to them all.  Plus, here I have to give Ozzy credit, they fit together so that the album is greater than the sum of its parts (see my comments about how Rush were masters of this).  If I listen to this album, its an album I won't skip any of the songs on.  A complete and total album but not a great album - not close to that.  Still I enjoy it.

• Like 6

Cinderella - Long Cold Winter

This is Cinderella's second album.  Their first was a success and they toured opening for Bon Jovi on the Slippery When Wet tour.  So when this came out the big question was, could they follow up a very good first album with a better 2nd or would they have just burned out with the one strong album.. I remember at the time that the answers was clear - they had followed up a strong first album with a better 2nd album.  This album was a big hit and I was very impressed by it.

So what do I think of it now?  Side one is loaded with some very strong songs.  Bad Seamstress Blues, Fallin Apart At The Seams, Gypsy Road, Don't Know What You Got (Till Its Gone) & The Last Mile are all very strong songs that I really like.  Unfortunately the side end with Second Wind which I don't care for.  Side 2 starts with a couple of songs that I don't care for.  Then you get Coming Home and Fire & Ice.  Those 2 songs are as good as anything on side one.  The album closes with a weak song I don't really care for.

So, although the album has some songs i will skip, it also has some very strong songs that have stood the test of time (IMO).

BTW - I was lucky enough to see Cinderella during the summer of 1988 when they were touring supporting this album.  They put on a tremendous show.  Just awesome.  Then they got blown off the stage by the group they were opening for  - Judas Priest.  No shame in that.  Priest blew most groups off the stage during the 1980's.  To this day that show is the 2nd best concert I have ever seen.  Only Rush on the VT tour was better - and not by much.

Just a pity Cinderella never really followed this album up with anything special.  I think I had their next album and sold it.  It did nothing for me.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Cinderella - Long Cold Winter

This is Cinderella's second album.  Their first was a success and they toured opening for Bon Jovi on the Slippery When Wet tour.  

Though I never owned one of their albums, I saw Cinderella open for David Lee Roth (Eat Em & Smile) in 1986 in Spokane.  They were a solid opening act.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Chronos said:

Queen: Queen

Queen: Queen II (three times)

Camel: The Snow Goose

Three great albums, but only one of them a really contender for my top ten ever.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked