Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Next out of the moving box:

Styx - Pieces of Eight.

Must have gotten this one used as well.  It still has a price sticker of $2.99 on it.  Anyway, its got the 2 big hits on it (Blue Color Man & Renegade).  But it has a number of other good sons on it.  Pieces of Eight, Lords Of The Ring & Great White Hope are all enjoyable.  Queen of Spades is very good.  How it never got significant airplay is beyond me.  Very enjoyable - the 3rd best song on the album, just behind the 2 big hits.  Enjoyable album.

Crazy thought - what was going on in the late 1970's?  Styx puts out an album with the song Queen Of Spades, Motorhead puts out The Ace Of Spades.  Did somebody put out the King Of Spades & did somebody else put out The Jack of Spades?  Any songs about clubs (we always get something about Hearts & Diamonds).  Sorry if I am being silly - its just a silly thought that had to come out.

Onto the next record out of the box.... 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Heart - Brigade

I remember when this came out - I was really looking forward to it and was very disappointed.  For me it was mostly filler.  Saw them on the tour - figured they would have a huge crowd as they did on the prior tour.  Not even close.  Not a great show (the prior tour had been a very good show) either - kind of dull to be honest.  So what did I think of it on this listen (its been a number of years since I really listened to it)?

Well, the one song I remember getting airplay (All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You) is ok.  At best, only ok.  Interestingly the song was written by Mutt Lange in 1979 - it must have sat around unused because the album only came out in late 1990 / early 91 if I recall correctly.  One other song (Stranded) is sort of ok.  Other than that their is as an testing riff here and an ok solo there but basically the rest is not appealing.  To my ears.  Basically, its all filler.  Will file this one away and its not likely to get listened to again for many years.

• Like 5

Bob Dylan - Bob Dylans Greatest Hits

This is a single record of his greatest hits and its the only Dylan album I own.  Not a Dylan fan.  I know, I know, he is supposed to be great.  I just don't get his music.  It mostly does nothing for me.  The version of Mr. Tambourine Man on the album is terrible - to my ears.  Wonderful song that he just butchers.  The only songs on the album that really do anything for me are Like A Rolling Stone and esp. The Times They Are A-Changin.  Other than that, forget about it.  Another one that I will file away and won't listen to again for a long time.

• Like 2

Billy Joel - 52nd Street

Ok, lets get this our right away.  I am not a Billy Joel fan.  Never was.  This is clearly another album I picked up in the early 90's at a used record store as it still has a price sticker of $1.00 on it.  Given that I am not a fan I must have picked it up because of the 2 big hits (Big Shot & My Life) that are on it.  They are enjoyable.  The rest of it does zip for me.  Another one to put away and not pull out for a long time.

• Like 4

Next out of the moving box:

Pat Benatar - Precious Time

Yes another album I must have bought used in the early 90's as it still has a price sticker of $1.00 attached.  As I have said b4, I started to purchase albums around 1983 and that picked up speed all through the 1980's.  Then in the early 90's with people unloading their used vinyl on record stores (as they bought CD's) I went crazy and bought a ton of used albums dirt cheep.  Many were albums that I knew a few songs from but would not otherwise have picked up because I was not crazy about the group - but they were dirt cheep and it was my way of rebelling against having CD's forced down our throats.

This is such an album.  It has 2 good songs (Promises In The Dark & Fire And Ice) but the rest of it does not do much for me.  Its not bad - it just does not thrill me.  Another one that I will file away and likely not listen to for a few years.  At least I have it if in the mood for the big hits.  

• Like 3

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Full disclosure  - not a Fleetwood Mac fan.  This is the only album by them I own and I don't own any solo albums by the band members.  Its another album I got used in the early 90's - it also still has a price sticker of $1.00 attached to it.

All that being said, not a bad album.  Its got The Chain which is good.  Its got Don't Stop which is very good.  Its got Go Your Own Way which is great.  Its got some other enjoyable songs as well.  Defiantly the best album I have pulled from the moving box today.  Think I will call it quits on this upbeat & positive find.

Note - Really like the bands pictures on the back of the record.  The cloths and hair (both the guys and ladies) -  so 1970's.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Chronos said:

Cat Stevens: Tea For the Tillerman

Styx: Equinox

Rush: Roll the Bones

First post here in ... years.

Woah! Yo! Howdy!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chronos said:

Cat Stevens: Tea For the Tillerman

Styx: Equinox

Rush: Roll the Bones

First post here in ... years.

How do you find Roll The Bones? I would not ever say it's their greatest work, but I love it so damn much these days, and I can't tell you why. The opening punch of the first three songs is my favourite of their discography.

• The topic was locked