Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

On 12/28/2022 at 7:18 AM, Segue Myles said:

I'm really not sure why I don't love Black Sabbath. They just don't do much for me. I madly respect them, but I far prefer Deep Purple, who dropped classic after classic that I personally can get into.

Oh well. I'm not keen on solo Ozzy either. And while we are at it, Alice Cooper. Absolutely no rhyme or reason, just what it is. 

I do like Masters Of Reality though. And nothing about Black Sabbath is bad, just isn't infectiously enjoyable the way I see they are for others.

That actually sums it up for me as well - at least with regards to Sabbath.  Respect them - heck yes.  When I like them, I really like them.  But a lot of their stuff I am not crazy for.  I think I slightly prefer Dio era to Ozzy era though.  I know I have more Sabbath in the box's which I will get to as I continue tp unpack.

Alice Cooper - no thanks.  I know I don't own any of his music.

Deep Purple I like somewhat more than Sabbath but I am not crazy for them.  Glad I got to see them in concert a couple of times though.

Solo Ozzy - now thats another matter.  I have his first 6 solo albums around here someplace.  Very good.  Esp. the 2 Randy and 2 Jake E. Lee albums.  After those 6 I don't get anything from him.  But those 6 are very good.  So glad I got to see him twice live back in the 80's (the first 2 tour after Jake E. Lee left his group).  Just wish I had seen him with Randy / Jake E. Lee.   

Took a brake from listing to music I was unboxing to listen to something from youtube.

Bland Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth

How the f***k did I miss this album??  Dang - its awesome!!  I sort of recall seeing it in stores but since I was not hearing it on the radio and since thrash was starting to catch on I think I avoided it since I was afraid it might be thrash - which i don''t care for

How the f**k did I miss this group?  

Amazing album.  Even more so since The Silmarillion is my favorite of Tolkien's major works (The Hobbit, The Lord of The Rings & The Silmarillion) .

Just blown away - is all their stuff this good? Wow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

Took a brake from listing to music I was unboxing to listen to something from youtube.

How the f***k did I miss this album??  Dang - its awesome!!  I sort of recall seeing it in stores but since I was not hearing it on the radio and since thrash was starting to catch on I think I avoided it since I was afraid it might be thrash - which i don''t care for

Amazing album.  Even more so since The Silmarillion is my favorite of Tolkien's major works (The Hobbit, The Lord of The Rings & The Silmarillion) .

Blind Guardian blew me away last year. Alongside Rhapsody (check out Power Of The Dragonflame), these two bands came out of nowhere to land firmly in my top five. Absolutely adore them, and dismissed both for years under the assumption that they would not be for me.

WRONG! 

• Like 1

Check out Imaginations From The Other Side, and last year's new album The God Machine.

No bad albums. Early works are speed/thrash before they lean into power, then symphonic, then move back to a heavier style again. 

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

You should check out Crisis. Alexisonfire is outstanding punk/emo. The clean vocals are second to none in the genre (you may know the singer, Dallas's Green, from his solo project, City And Colour)

Will check out!!

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Taylor Swift- Speak Now 

Knowing they are friends, I'm still gobsmacked Hayley Williams isn't on this album. Taylor was an emo kid at school, and it shows here (interesting: no outside producers or writers. This is all her work, and she produced it herself. It's a lot rockier than anything before or since. Is this her at her most purely Taylor? I miss this era a lot.)

You just said a couple sentences that actually made me interested in listening to Taylor Swift, the idea being that maybe, just maybe, I might enjoy it... dang you Segue! :wacko:

Wait they have one about The Simarillion??? I love that book.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

You just said a couple sentences that actually made me interested in listening to Taylor Swift, the idea being that maybe, just maybe, I might enjoy it... dang you Segue! :wacko:

Oh really? 

Let me show you her most overtly dramatic live performance I've seen, and bear in mind she wrote and produced the song along with the rest of the album:

We could do an album swap

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Wait they have one about The Simarillion??? I love that book.

Yes this one! It's a power metal masterpiece. 

• Like 2

Just now, Segue Myles said:

Oh really? 

Let me show you her most overtly dramatic live performance I've seen, and bear in mind she wrote and produced the song along with the rest of the album:

Okay I will fine.

But I can't right right now, I'm at the airport and already midway through an album on my iPod. Gimme a few hours.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Okay I will fine.

But I can't right right now, I'm at the airport and already midway through an album on my iPod. Gimme a few hours.

Speak Now and Brand New Eyes came out I think around the same time and you can hear a mutual influence. 

Hayley Williams was also invited to be a guest in a Swift video as well. Both are friends.

I also find it interesting that the two artists also divide fans with big, bold pop albums bursting with sounds you'd never have expected from their early work. Red and Paramore also came out not that far apart and I think they are very comparable. Then after that, a strong detour into eighties pop influences.

Tay and Hay aren't all that far apart, honestly. (I think being around the same age and worshipping Jimmy Eat World has that effect).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

Speak Now and Brand New Eyes came out I think around the same time and you can hear a mutual influence. 

Hayley Williams was also invited to be a guest in a Swift video as well. Both are friends.

I also find it interesting that the two artists also divide fans with big, bold pop albums bursting with sounds you'd never have expected from their early work. Red and Paramore also came out not that far apart and I think they are very comparable. Then after that, a strong detour into eighties pop influences.

Tay and Hay aren't all that far apart, honestly. (I think being around the same age and worshipping Jimmy Eat World has that effect).

Well you know Brand New Eyes is my favorite Paramore album. Dang it, lol.

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well you know Brand New Eyes is my favorite Paramore album. Dang it, lol.

Mine too, though I think the self Titled is a magnificent, overlooked by many, pop album. Those two albums took them from being above average to HOLD IT, WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?!? 

• Like 2

Just now, Segue Myles said:

Mine too, though I think the self Titled is a magnificent, overlooked by many, pop album. Those two albums took them from being above average to HOLD IT, WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?!? 

I think the self titled has a lot of room to grow on me. It's a much messier album to my ears than anything else they've done, longer and more chocked full of disparate ideas, but it's bursting at the seams with creativity and I can't pinpoint any songs I don't like on it. I think my main issue with it really is Zac's absence from the kit. I think he's really a lot more integral to the band than most people realize.

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I think the self titled has a lot of room to grow on me. It's a much messier album to my ears than anything else they've done, longer and more chocked full of disparate ideas, but it's bursting at the seams with creativity and I can't pinpoint any songs I don't like on it. I think my main issue with it really is Zac's absence from the kit. I think he's really a lot more integral to the band than most people realize.

The self Titled is the 2010s Tragic Kingdom, which I think is the nineties Tusk. Pop albums full of variety and strong songs. Believe it or not, in 2013 I claimed Paramore was my album of the year. And that was the year Alter Bridge released Fortress.

These days, I'm certain I'd choose Fortress, but I still think that self Titled is so bold and ambitious and bursting with life and vitality that it took, I am sure, a lot of balls to release. 

Again, based on how little I think of their first two albums, the turnaround on BNE and the self Titled for me was insane! And bringing *her* up again, I think Taylor Swift delivered an emo influenced country album masterpiece in Speak Now that I think have her her first huge crossover appeal BEFORE Red took over pop charts.

Brand New Eyes and Speak Now make a great duo. I wish Hayley and Taylor had collaborated together. The perfect moment would have been around 2009-12. 

• Like 1

Taylor Swift- Speak Now 

Taylor Swift- Midnights 

Call me crazy but all I hear is my favourite singer songwriter across both these albums. Different styles, same pulse. My top two TS albums arm, and they couldn't be more different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Check out Imaginations From The Other Side, and last year's new album The God Machine.

No bad albums. Early works are speed/thrash before they lean into power, then symphonic, then move back to a heavier style again. 

Thanks - I will.  I dislike Speed & esp. Thrash (forget about even getting me near Black, Death or Doom metal - I would listen to Thrash b4 them).  Power,  Symphonic, Prog, Hair & Folk Metal is much more my cup of tea.  Some NWOTHM is fine as well since some of it sound like 1980 Judas Priest.

Edited by TheAccountant
edited to include mention of prog metal

2 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Thanks - I will.  I dislike Speed & esp. Thrash (forget about even getting me near Black, Death or Doom metal - I would listen to Thrash b4 them).  Power,  Symphonic, Hair & Folk Metal is much more my cup of tea.  Some NWOTHM is fine as well since some of it sound like 1980 Judas Priest.

If you give the early work, it's really not far off their power metal. Just lower budget. The vocals remain very consistent from the debut to the latest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh really? 

:16ton:

• The topic was locked