Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

In Flames- I, The Mask 

I really loved the album Battles when it came out. It's not aged very well. I, The Mask took everything I liked about Battles and did it better.

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Definitely! I went to my local record store and bought both these albums yesterday btw

That's good you still have a local record store and they would actually have albums like that in stock. Those albums sold well for them but they didn't exactly set the charts on fire either.

20 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

That's good you still have a local record store and they would actually have albums like that in stock. Those albums sold well for them but they didn't exactly set the charts on fire either.

I have a local HMV. The chain often has a nice supply of discount older albums. Depends on the store. I live in an area where metal is really popular. It's a small town with a lot of metalheads.

14 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

those first 3 are Some of the best prog ever.  and i will say that to my grave.

Mick

first 5 even. Youre right in that Snow is the lesser of Neal's era, I still really enjoy it though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ST3V said:

first 5 even. Youre right in that Snow is the lesser of Neal's era, I still really enjoy it though.

V is just tremendous it still blows me away blending pop with Heavy Prog seamlessly.

Mick

• Like 1

Listened to a few brown/orange records today

Andrew Bird - HARK!

Devin Townsend Porject - Ki

Primus - Brown Album

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Into the Great Wide Open

David Bowie - Low

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Made in Timeland

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Omnium Gatherum

• Like 3

Julian Casablancas / The Voidz: Tyranny Album Review | Pitchfork

its possible that im the only active person here who would even enjoy this but I think this album has become one of my all time favorites. its just so raw and overly compressed that i love how it sounds

Edited by ST3V

Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! - Gone Are The Good Days (Vinyl)
Four Year Strong - Four Year Strong (Vinyl)
Four Year Strong - Brain Pain (Vinyl)
Carly Cosgrove - Woah, Just Take It Easy Man. EP
Fury In Few - The Maven EP 
Fury In Few - The Baron EP 
Fury In Few - The Titan EP (Vinyl)

Just now, Super25Smasher said:

A few thoughts: 

Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! is a French band, named after a very specific quote from The Goonies. They've been around for about 15 years. Last year, they released their first album since 2015, following an extended hiatus. They're one of the more well-known bands from the subgenre of Easycore, alongside bands like A Day To Remember, Four Year Strong, and Set Your Goals. Easycore combines pop punk with elements of hardcore and metalcore, including breakdowns, chugging, low tunings, and often screaming. Chunk's new album is great, and features some experimentation with different sounds, as well as a heavier take on their classic sound.

Four Year Strong is another big band from the Easycore scene, based out of Worcester. I've been into them for years, and I've seen them live four times. Their early albums featured synth and more screaming. Their sound has evolved somewhat,but they're still a heavy pop punk band, and their two newest albums (the same ones I played) might be their best.

Carly Cosgrove is a an Emo/Math Rock band from Philadelphia. I've been really into them this year. Their sound is similar to bands like Tiny Moving Parts. Lots of intricate and melodic guitar riffs, alternate tunings, emotional lyrics, and angular riffs/rhythms. All of their songs are named after quotes from iCarly or Drake and Josh.

Fury In Few is a relatively new rock band from Atlanta. Their first two EPs had more of a straightforward garage rock sound, but their newest EP (and the three standalone singles that preceded it) feature a much more metal-oriented sound. Some of it is somewhat Black Sabbath-esque. I saw them live in Syracuse, NY this year, opening for Welsh pop punk band Neck Deep. It was an incredible show, and I got to meet both members of Fury In Few, plus get my record signed.

48 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

I think the name of that first band is officially the dumbest name I have ever heard for one.

• Like 1

Machine Head- Burn This Red 

I don't think US fans understand how massive this album was in the UK. And I've always sort of felt it was a guilty pleasure for me, but the more I play it, the more adventurous it sounds without sacrificing all that makes Machine Head incredible. In fact, the really personal nature of the lyrics, the forward nature of the rage, and the mellow moments truly set the scene for the band to perfect their craft in the next decade on The Blackening. This album really improves in many ways upon the first two. 

It also sucks at times. Message In A Bottle? Really nothing special about this cover. And some will hate the rap elements, I think they add something as the songs don't lose any momentum at all with them.

Still a bottom three album, but a strong album all the same. I could see this overtaking Locust in my rankings, honestly.

Robb Flynn says he loves this album. Had Catharsis just been less of a cohesive mess, I might have forgiven them a return to nu metal had it been as strong as this.

Looked at the sunrise over Manhattan this morning and I put on Pink Floyd's Obscured By Clouds.

52550985110_38be1e8b19.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

Lamb Of God- Resolution

Lamb Of God- Omens 

Machine Head- Of Kingdom And Crown 

Sanctity- Road To Bloodshed 

Sanctity were a one album wonder. Combining eighties thrash with a splash of power metal, the 2006 album should have been massive. Signed to Roadrunner records, the label expected them to ride the wave of popularity that saw bands like Trivium, Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage and many others to chart success. Even though they had some high profile support slots, it never happened. The band broke up, and the lead vocalist/guitarist is no to be found doing great work with Machine Head. I've been a Sanctity fan since this album came out. It certainly is a fine album, great songs, impeccable production, top notch vocals. But it's also a touch faceless. The sound is very much everything that was great about the NWOAHM scene at the time, without really having an identity of its own. Still, I love this album and it's great to replay it. 

As for Lamb Of God and Machine Head, they have made my pick for metal album of the year incredibly hard to choose. You could argue both albums are fairly predictable, being brilliant doing exactly what each band does best, without actually being THE BEST they have done. But my god, they are still phenomenal works. 

Regarding past work, Resolution remains a very underappreciated LoG album. I've seen fans really trash this one.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I think the name of that first band is officially the dumbest name I have ever heard for one.

It's a terrible name for sure. I greatly enjoy their music, but the name is just so random. It's an extremely specific and somewhat random quote from the Goonies.

In Flames- Come Clarity

Oh gosh, this albums has amazing highs, and a couple of "eh" lows, but it remains a thrill ride like few other metal albums. Huge in 2006, it's oddly overlooked these days. 

Anthrax- Among The Living 

Anthrax walked so adventurous, playful bands like In Flames could run! Seriously, Anthrax toyed with thrash the way IF would later toy with death. Two totally different bands with a similar love for making the most of many different influences. Among The Living and Reroute To Remain share the same soul.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked