Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Ha!

I’m going to see a heavy band tonight with a coworker of mine, but I’ve never listened to them before, so I figured I’d just play a bunch of other heavy music in the meantime. I have to admit though, the record I’m on now is a bit of a departure. Devin Townsend - Terria. Much more atmospheric.

My favourite Devin Townsend album!

All That Remains sold out massively. Normally I hate this term, but after this record, they were chasing big sales with blander and blander pop rock and lite metal.

But that will never tarnish the godliness of The Fall Of Ideals. It clearly tried to emulate the style of Trivium on Ascendancy, and it nearly matched that amazing album.

Who are you seeing tonight?

Edited by Segue Myles

14 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Anthrax - The Sound Of White Noise

All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals

it’s a heavy day on TRF :ROCK:

Have you ever given Killswitch Engage or Shadows Fall a listen? They have a similar style to All That Remains only those two do it better.

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Have you ever given Killswitch Engage or Shadows Fall a listen? They have a similar style to All That Remains only those two do it better.

The Fall Of Ideals was produced by Adam from KsE and I think TFOI is superior to all but one KsE album.

I really don't get your love for Shadows Fall, I don't think they come close to the best of ATR, but I think EP could really dig them.

5 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

My favourite Devin Townsend album!

All That Remains sold out massively. Normally I hate this term, but after this record, they were chasing big sales with blander and blander pop rock and lite metal.

But that will never tarnish the godliness of The Fall Of Ideals. It clearly tried to emulate the style of Trivium on Ascendancy, and it nearly matched that amazing album.

Who are you seeing tonight?

Covet. I know next to nothing about them except that my coworker, who’s big into metal, really likes them. I saw Iron Maiden with this guy a little while back and have had some great jams with him, so I trust I’ll have a good time.

Yes, The Fall Of Ideals was sick!!! The Weak Willed blew my mind for a second. Six was also a major standout.

This is my first listen to this Devin Townsend album. I’m in the middle of Earth Day…. I am loving this, lol.

RECYCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL!

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

The Fall Of Ideals was produced by Adam from KsE and I think TFOI is superior to all but one KsE album.

I really don't get your love for Shadows Fall, I don't think they come close to the best of ATR, but I think EP could really dig them.

EP will probably dig them if he notices the musical similarities they have to Anthrax.

5 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I listened to a Killswitch Engage album once years ago when I was trying to acquire my taste for metal. I remember being surprised by how much I liked it, but I don’t remember what album it was and I haven’t revisited the band since. Shadows Fall I’ve never heard of!

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

EP will probably dig them if he notices the musical similarities they have to Anthrax.

I do love Anthrax

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I listened to a Killswitch Engage album once years ago when I was trying to acquire my taste for metal. I remember being surprised by how much I liked it, but I don’t remember what album it was and I haven’t revisited the band since. Shadows Fall I’ve never heard of!

It was probably The End Of Heartache or As Daylight Dies from Killswitch. Those are their two most well known albums. Shadows Fall was metalcore as well but musically and melodically I heard a big Anthrax influence in them. Anthrax did as well since their guitarist, Jonathan Donais has been Anthrax's lead guitarist for almost ten years now. I would try The War Within.

• Like 1

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

It was probably The End Of Heartache or As Daylight Dies from Killswitch. Those are their two most well known albums. Shadows Fall was metalcore as well but musically and melodically I heard a big Anthrax influence in them. Anthrax did as well since their guitarist, Jonathan Donais has been Anthrax's lead guitarist for almost ten years now. I would try The War Within.

Alright, I’ll check them out!

Man I need to just keep a list of recs, lol.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Anthrax - The Sound Of White Noise

All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals

it’s a heavy day on TRF :ROCK:

Meanwhile, I've been listening Ben Folds nonstop since Tuesday :laugh:

(Except for a couple of new releases yesterday)

Edited by Super25Smasher
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Machine Head- Of Kingdom and Crown (8/10)

Mick

When I see the words Machine Head, the first two thoughts that come to mind are Deep Purple and Bush.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Yes I was thinking that as well. So good shout! Still find it odd they weren't bigger. I am not a fan, but their sound had broad appeal for metal fans.

1 minute ago, Super25Smasher said:

Meanwhile, I've been listening Ben Folds nonstop since Tuesday :laugh:

I’ve never checked him out.

• Like 1

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

When I see the words Machine Head, the first two thoughts that come to mind are Deep Purple and Bush.

I would love to see Machine Head troll us with an album called Deep Purple 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’ve never checked him out.

I feel like you would love him. He's a phenomenal singer/songwriter/pianist. His 90s band, Ben Folds Five, had a lot of uptempo songs with virtuosic piano parts and ripping fuzz bass solos. His solo work includes some of that too, but he's experimented a lot over the years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I would love to see Machine Head troll us with an album called Deep Purple 

Including a cover of the Bush song!!

5 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

I feel like you would love him. He's a phenomenal singer/songwriter/pianist. His 90s band, Ben Folds Five, had a lot of uptempo songs with virtuosic piano parts and ripping fuzz bass solos. His solo work includes some of that too, but he's experimented a lot over the years.

He sounds cool.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

He sounds cool.

He's so cool! I saw him live last year at a beautiful theater in Troy, NY (pretty close to the state capital, Albany). The acoustics were amazing. It was just Ben and his piano.

• Like 1

Since Monday:

Pollyanna - Slime (Vinyl) (I also think EP would like this)
Pollyanna - Sugar Coat (Deluxe) (Vinyl)

Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five 
Ben Folds Five - Naked Baby Photos
Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen 
Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography Of Reinhold Messner

Ben Folds Five - The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind 

Ben Folds - Rockin' The Suburbs

Ben Folds - Speed Graphic EP
NOFX - Double Album
Wage War - The Stripped Sessions

Ben Folds - Sunny 16 EP

Ben Folds - Super D EP

I tried to divide them by day.

Rush - Hold Your Fire

My 3'rd favorite album by my favorite group.  Not a bad song on it.  Not only that, I like every song on it,  Yes, I like Tia Shan & have come to like High Water although Tia Shan is much better.  Not only that, it has 3 stone cold classics (Under Lock And Key, Force 10 & Time Stand Still) with Time Stand Still being my 3rd favorite Rush song.

• Like 7

Rush - Permanent Waves

A good, solid, middle of the pack Rush album.  What?  This is a middle of the pack album?  Yes, for me it is.  It has my 4th favorite Rush song (Freewill).  It has Spirit of Radio which is good but I don't like it as much as I used to.  Its likely not even in my top 25 Rush songs.  I have not figured out my rankings of Rush's songs that far down my list - my top 11 are basically fixed - after that they move around bit depending on my mood so its hard for me to rank them.  It has the excellent (and IMO underrated) Entre Nous.  A very good song that I like more than Spirit of Radio.  It also has the strong Natural Science which I greatly prefer the live versions of.  Still, the album version is decent, solid & enjoyable.  Live - wow!!!  Unfortunately the album also has Different Strings and Jacobs Ladder.  I don't dislike either songs but neither does anything for me.  They are just filler.

So, one great song, 3 songs that are good, solid & enjoyable that I like and 2 that are filler.  For most groups that would be a very good album.  For Rush its just a middle of the pack album - such is the strength and depth of their catelog. 

• Like 3

• The topic was locked