Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

18 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I wonder if he will still hear Priest as he moves through the discography and hears them get heavier and angrier as time went by? Maybe he'll hear Maiden in them 😄

The official genre name they came up with for Pantera was groove metal. I found that kind of strange as I thought guys like Tony Iommi and James Hetfield showed that metal already had groove long before that. When I first heard Vulgar Display 30 years ago I thought they were a newer version of thrash metal. That seemed to be what others thought too. They certainly have a hell of a lot more thrash in their sound than they do anything that resembles Priest.

Oh I doubt it, this one just carries the last flavour of their early sound. I'm not saying it sounded loads like Priest, but there were moments in the melodies and the playing that reminded me of the heavier side of Priest. 

I'd also say I thought the Priest influence was as obvious to my ears as Maiden on early In Flames. Not sure why you have made a big issue of my opinion, but I guess it kept the thread lively 🤣

Edited by Segue Myles

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Yes, Fight was influenced by Pantera but that's not what we were talking about 😄

I'd also say a lot of Pantera in nineties JP.

But I still think I hear a lot of JP influence in Pantera. But you can carry this on now, I'm out 😘

Pantera- Vulgar Display Of Power 

So far, so good. I really like it. But at this point I prefer Cowboys. I see this one as a grower. Definitely a step up from Cowboys, exceptional playing. Will enjoy exploring them more. (Not sure if I missed an album in between).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I'd also say a lot of Pantera in nineties JP.

But I still think I hear a lot of JP influence in Pantera. But you can carry this on now, I'm out 😘

There was 90s Judas Priest besides Painkiller 😄

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

i fee like i should moderate you guys.

Today on Useless metal debates...Pantera are they partly Priest?

some say yes.......some say no man you is crazy.

i say.........Who gives a shit.

thank you for joining us.

:laugh:

Mick

Don't take it too serious. My tone would be a lot more playful and goofy if we were talking about this for real. Also, the conversation would have been done with yesterday. Things like this always take longer online 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

MisterWives - Superbloom

Queen - Queen II

Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power

Paramore - Riot!

Fugazi - Repeater

Imagine Dragons - Evolve

Slayer - Reign In Blood

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

MisterWives - Superbloom

Queen - Queen II

Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power

Paramore - Riot!

Fugazi - Repeater

Imagine Dragons - Evolve

Slayer - Reign In Blood

Those are quite the interesting follow ups to Pantera and Imagine Dragons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

Those are quite the interesting follow ups to Pantera and Imagine Dragons.

I felt inspired by Segue and Union 5-3992, lol.

I was also just going for albums I know that can keep my energy up, regardless of style. Fugazi was actually the one that was least effective for some reason, though I love that album. I think it’s all the experimental jamming.

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I felt inspired by Segue and Union 5-3992, lol.

I was also just going for albums I know that can keep my energy up, regardless of style. Fugazi was actually the one that was least effective for some reason, though I love that album. I think it’s all the experimental jamming.

If that's the case I understand Slayer coming after Imagine Dragons. Every time I've heard them I get sleepy  and need something to wake me up 🤣

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

If that's the case I understand Slayer coming after Imagine Dragons. Every time I've heard them I get sleepy  and need something to wake me up 🤣

Babe, honey, HUUUUNNNAAAAY 

You did not inspire my eclecticism, I'm a weirdo all by myself. Like you 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Don't take it too serious. My tone would be a lot more playful and goofy if we were talking about this for real. Also, the conversation would have been done with yesterday. Things like this always take longer online 😄

I was giggling as I typed, ignore my BLAH BLAH LAH LAH LAH

Rush - 2112

My favorite album from my favorite band with my favorite song from that group (the title track).  Also has my 10th favorite song from the band (Something for Nothing).  Not a bad song on the album.  In fact, I really like all the songs (yes, even Tears and Lessons - good songs that fit perfectly on the album).  A masterpeice.

• Like 9

Pantera--Far Beyond Driven (9/10)

WELLLLLLL......Most bands Metal or Otherwise when they have sucsess what do they say?

"I want more let's chase radio hits!!!"

Pantera:FUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they went brutal and hard and anti-radio/MTV/whatever and folks STILL got on board.

lol.

Mick

• Like 3

Lamb Of God- Resolution 

Maybe because they have a flawless discography, every time I play any single one of LoG's albums I find myself declaring this UNDERRATED and MY FAVOURITE. It's crazy but I feel that about all their albums these days. They just have a terrific number of great records.

• Like 1

Machine Head- Burn My Eyes 

I still get cathartic chills every time the song Davidian hits the LET FREEDOM RING WITH A SHOTGUN BLAST part 

• Like 3

In Flames- Reroute To Remain 

I think that s album is incredible. Fans screamed it was a sellout. I wish every sellout album sounded as boldly inventive and wild as this.

8 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Anthrax - The Sound Of White Noise

All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals

it’s a heavy day on TRF :ROCK:

THE FALL OF IDEAAAAALS 

Bitch, you looking for likes today? 🤣

• Like 2

Just now, Segue Myles said:

THE FALL OF IDEAAAAALS 

Bitch, you looking for likes today? 🤣

Ha!

I’m going to see a heavy band tonight with a coworker of mine, but I’ve never listened to them before, so I figured I’d just play a bunch of other heavy music in the meantime. I have to admit though, the record I’m on now is a bit of a departure. Devin Townsend - Terria. Much more atmospheric.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked