Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

4 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I don't hear either of those things. Get your ears checked by a professional something might be wrong 😄

The stuff Halford did on those solo albums is in the same vein as Priest.

maybe he's just been playing lot of JP .  but i hear none of it either.:laugh:

Random band comparison is random, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Pantera-Cowboys from Hell (8/10)

OK so i'm not the bands biggest fan but this is a mighty album no denying and the influence it spread.  I hear ZERO Priest though.  Like the first track.....the title song was honestly closer to a G n R groove.  BUT......fukk the comparisons anyway.  they made their own genre.  i'm enjoythis more this time round by the way.

i do respect these guys........

Mick

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Who?

I’m only just getting into her. She’s an indie / emo-tangential singer songwriter with a slightly country voice but rather lush and soft production. She’s a big deal these past few years in the indie world, but I think the mainstream is only vaguely familiar with her music. She wears a skeleton onesie on stage.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Pantera-Cowboys from Hell (8/10)

OK so i'm not the bands biggest fan but this is a mighty album no denying and the influence it spread.  I hear ZERO Priest though.  Like the first track.....the title song was honestly closer to a G n R groove.  BUT......fukk the comparisons anyway.  they made their own genre.  i'm enjoythis more this time round by the way.

i do respect these guys........

Mick

I wonder if he will still hear Priest as he moves through the discography and hears them get heavier and angrier as time went by? Maybe he'll hear Maiden in them 😄

The official genre name they came up with for Pantera was groove metal. I found that kind of strange as I thought guys like Tony Iommi and James Hetfield showed that metal already had groove long before that. When I first heard Vulgar Display 30 years ago I thought they were a newer version of thrash metal. That seemed to be what others thought too. They certainly have a hell of a lot more thrash in their sound than they do anything that resembles Priest.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

I wonder if he will still hear Priest as he moves through the discography and hears them get heavier and angrier as time went by? Maybe he'll hear Maiden in them 😄

The official genre name they came up with for Pantera was groove metal. I found that kind of strange as I thought guys like Tony Iommi and James Hetfield showed that metal already had groove long before that. When I first heard Vulgar Display 30 years ago I thought they were a newer version of thrash metal. That seemed to be what others thought too. They certainly have a hell of a lot more thrash in their sound than they do anything that resembles Priest.

Honestly i normally don't like Groove....but Pantera is   more than that.  ALL i hear is great pounding metal. I hear multitudes of stuff melted together. Groove, Grunge. Bit of Speed in their.  Thrash...you name it.

i admit to criminally ignoring them.  But i have heard every album.  I used to hear Vulgar Display from my cousin only every time i visited, lol.  Vulgar is the Better album over Cowboy's IMO......(Playing it now)

Mick

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I think the idea of groove metal as a concept isn’t just demonstrating that metal can groove, but making the groove as viscerally deep, heavy, and impossible not to bang your head to as you can.  I’d say Pantera do this very well. Walk may be an overused example, but the riff to that in particular is so extremely focused on its rhythm that the actual notes involved are made as few and as bent out of tune and distorted as possible. Add to that adrum beat I can only describe as Whole Lotta Love’s leather clad biker uncle, and the thickest, driest tone for the bass and drums you can manage in 1992, and that groove is so unstoppable it makes For Whom The Bell Tolls sound like The Monkees. Then you get Phil just ripping a guy to shreds over top of it and the song is an instant classic.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I don't hear either of those things. Get your ears checked by a professional something might be wrong 😄

The stuff Halford did on those solo albums is in the same vein as Priest.

No my ears are good. O detected the influence and then went and found out I was correct. It's not an influence Paintera held secret. You don't hear it? Great, I did, did some googling, found plenty of articles and influences that back me up. Judas Priest were a massive influence on their early sound, if you play the pre-Cowboys albums, which are full of obvious Priest influence, you can still hear it come Cowboys.

• Like 2

In Flames- Whoracle 

Not been obsessed with this album like this before. I always preferred The Jester Race or Colony, but this record is insane! 

Machine Head- Burn My Eyes 

One of the great debut albums of all time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

No my ears are good. O detected the influence and then went and found out I was correct. It's not an influence Paintera held secret. You don't hear it? Great, I did, did some googling, found plenty of articles and influences that back me up. Judas Priest were a massive influence on their early sound, if you play the pre-Cowboys albums, which are full of obvious Priest influence, you can still hear it come Cowboys.

I don't doubt Priest wasn't an influence on them but I just don't hear it in the Pantera sound. James Hetfield has said Queen was an influence but where do you hear it in Metallica? Just because someone was influenced by something else doesn't mean they are going to sound anything like that. Also, every Pantera fan knows that nothing before Cowboys From Hell counts. Even the band stayed clear of ever mentioning that stuff.

11 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I don't doubt Priest wasn't an influence on them but I just don't hear it in the Pantera sound. James Hetfield has said Queen was an influence but where do you hear it in Metallica? Just because someone was influenced by something else doesn't mean they are going to sound anything like that. Also, every Pantera fan knows that nothing before Cowboys From Hell counts. Even the band stayed clear of ever mentioning that stuff.

I'm not arguing with you. But whilst listening to Cowboys I heard lots of moments that reminded me of Priest, particularly Defenders, Screaming and Painkiller. I felt I was listening to a Southern Metal Priest. I looked into their influences and Priest was high on the list of faves, with band members even likening vocal approaches to Halford's. The fact I heard that major influence and found it was true is not up for argument. It's not a big issue, it isn't a problem you don't hear it. You might listen to Pantera and detect something awesome straight away that I didn't. Likening my listening experience to yours is pointless, as everyone takes to music in their own way.

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Tangentially related but I’m pretty sure when Hetfield cites Queen as an influence he’s mainly referring to one song of theirs, “Stone Cold Crazy,” which is credited by many as the first speed metal song before speed metal existed. Pretty sure they did a cover of it at some point.

Also, just a general thing, Queen’s production techniques, especially on their early records with Roy Thomas Baker, were pretty influential on the industry as a whole. The production effects and overall quality they achieved on their best studio recordings were often light years ahead of their peers in the 70s. So any band with much commercial success going forward (e.g. Metallica) is more than likely to have listened back through a few Queen records for examples of how to do, for instance, clear and powerful backing vocals, or how to use effects like phasers and flangers effectively, or best practice for overdubbing things in general.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I'm not arguing with you. But whilst listening to Cowboys I heard lots of moments that reminded me of Priest, particularly Defenders, Screaming and Painkiller. I felt I was listening to a Southern Metal Priest. I looked into their influences and Priest was high on the list of faves, with band members even likening vocal approaches to Halford's. The fact I heard that major influence and found it was true is not up for argument. It's not a big issue, it isn't a problem you don't hear it. You might listen to Pantera and detect something awesome straight away that I didn't. Likening my listening experience to yours is pointless, as everyone takes to music in their own way.

And also to add, there is a tonne of Pantera in Halford's band Fight. You can tell he was in love with that crushing, grooveladen early nineties style. And he admits it.

So maybe other people here need to wash their f***ing ears out 🤣 

I heard all this before I read up on it.

Rupert Holms-Partners in Crime (10/10)

70's Yacht rock...just about my fav genre (AOR may tie)....every album was a banger.  And i just discovered this one last night.  and i think i over did it.

lol.

Mick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Rupert Holms-Partners in Crime (10/10)

70's Yacht rock...just about my fav genre (AOR may tie)....every album was a banger.  And i just discovered this one last night.  and i think i over did it.

lol.

Mick

Oof I enjoy this album a lot! It's fun music, makes me feel like a Wall Street billionaire listening to it 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Segue Myles said:

Oof I enjoy this album a lot! It's fun music, makes me feel like a Wall Street billionaire listening to it 🤣

there are so many banger albums in this "genre"

Christopher Cross's Debut

Minute By Minute (doobie Brothers)

Partners in Crime

Player's Debut

Aja (this  qualifies)

One Eighty (Ambrosia)

in ways Toto's IV qualifies too.

i love this whole style.

Mick

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

there are so many banger albums in this "genre"

Christopher Cross's Debut

Minute By Minute (doobie Brothers)

Partners in Crime

Player's Debut

Aja (this  qualifies)

One Eighty (Ambrosia)

in ways Toto's IV qualifies too.

i love this whole style.

Mick

I love all those albums. I'd also add Mirage by Fleetwood Mac. 

Christopher Cross's debut is immaculate pop.

• Like 1

Just now, Segue Myles said:

I love all those albums. I'd also add Mirage by Fleetwood Mac. 

Christopher Cross's debut is immaculate pop.

Christopher Cross was the face of the sound for a while.  he's an  immense talent.  His ear for a good hook is crazy.

Mick

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

And also to add, there is a tonne of Pantera in Halford's band Fight. You can tell he was in love with that crushing, grooveladen early nineties style. And he admits it.

So maybe other people here need to wash their f***ing ears out 🤣 

I heard all this before I read up on it.

Yes, Fight was influenced by Pantera but that's not what we were talking about 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

Yes, Fight was influenced by Pantera but that's not what we were talking about 😄

i fee like i should moderate you guys.

Today on Useless metal debates...Pantera are they partly Priest?

some say yes.......some say no man you is crazy.

i say.........Who gives a shit.

thank you for joining us.

:laugh:

Mick

• Like 3

Alter Bridge - Pawns and Kings (My sixth attempt at this album and it finally clicked! It still isn't as high for me as Walk The Sky, but it's growing on me)

Arctic Monkeys - The Car (This totally derailed my planned 2022 music binge because it reminded me so much of 70s Bowie)
David Bowie - Young Americans
David Bowie - Station to Station

Elder - Innate Passage (Still awesome)

Back Country, New Road - Ants From Up There (interesting, but overhyped)

King Buffalo - Regenerator (More enjoyable and much more fuzzy! They sound like they'd be better live than they are in the studio)

• Like 3

• The topic was locked