Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Lamb Of God- VII: Sturm Und Drang 

Lamb Of God have never released a record less than near perfect. This one is one of their very finest, no doubt about that! I am having an exciting time reacquainting myself with old favourites. Both Machine Head and Lamb Of God have me thinking it is vital I re-explore Pantera.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Good to know! Metal is my favourite genre, but I don't dismiss any form of music. I'm always open, and if I don't like it? Ask me again next year to try.

As for Blind Guardian, I'm with you. Unlike a lot of fans, I don't think the latest is a return to form, because they never lost it.

It's a really good album, but it's not a favourite in their discography.

What are your albums of the year? I've been fairly narrow minded with new releases. Discovering Blind Guardian and Rhapsody Of Fire dominated this year, and Machine Head, Lamb Of God, Rush and Mastodon dominated the rest. 

I'm really not sure yet. Some big releases came out this month that are going to take time to digest. The new Porcupine Tree, Elder, and Disillusion may definitely make the cut! I'll dedicate a bit more time thinking about it when the yearly thread comes up. I still have yet to hear the new Meshuggah, Machine Head, or Fallujah records.

I've been on a bit of a Mastodon kick this year too after I saw them in April. They co-headlined with Opeth and put on one of the best shows I've ever been to. The stuff on Hushed & Grim worked so well live.

• Like 1

Just now, Union 5-3992 said:

I'm really not sure yet. Some big releases came out this month that are going to take time to digest. The new Porcupine Tree, Elder, and Disillusion may definitely make the cut! I'll dedicate a bit more time thinking about it when the yearly thread comes up. I still have yet to hear the new Meshuggah, Machine Head, or Fallujah records.

I've been on a bit of a Mastodon kick this year too after I saw them in April. They co-headlined with Opeth and put on one of the best shows I've ever been to. The stuff on Hushed & Grim worked so well live.

The new Machine Head is absolutely fantastic. I am delighted tbh as Catharsis was terrible 

In Flames- The Jester Race 

Okay the filly acoustic elements blended with intense death metal makes this one of the most wondrous metal albums I have ever heard.

Iron Maiden- Dance Of Death 

A textured, adventurous album. I think it took the best elements of BNW and bettered it. I see fans rate this one lower and I don't understand how. But to each their own.

• Like 3

Carly Simon - No Secrets

This is another album I got used in the early 90's  - the price sticker of $1.00 is still on it.  I got it since it had memories from my childhood in the 70's.  We had one record player is the house and my older sister controlled it.  She was into Carly Simon, Carole King, John Denver, James Taylor, Buffy St. Marie, Elton John, Simon & Garfunkel.  Clearly I remembered the album from those days (before she got into country and I got into hard rock, prog rock & metal) so I must grabbed it cheep when I get the chance.  Side 1 is good - if your in the mood for that sort of 70's light rock.  Side 2, I think the first song is good.  After that it really goes down hill.  I find some of the songs rather sad but they do have a place in my childhood memories.  Glad I gave it a listen as I unpack.  Likely won't listen to it again for 5 or 10 years.

Edited by TheAccountant
edited to clarify how long it will b4 I listen to this album again.
  • Like 4

Megadeth- Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? 

I love this album.

• Like 5

On 11/28/2022 at 6:35 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

American Football - LP1

Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary

State Champs - Around The World And Back

How are you feeling about State Champs?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I have an apology to make. This past month, both Paramore and Panic! have opened up to me. Call me jaded, I find Panic! so glossy it can really turn me off. But...those vocals and hooks have a way of proving themselves!

As for Paramore, I always loved Brand New Eyes and Paramore, but the works after were not instant. Now I recognise After Laughter as a great album. 

I really thought Panic! released an awful album this year, but the quality shone through. I was so caught up on power, death and metalcore I just wasn't open to anything else. 

I've got a very weird top ten this year 😂

:ohmy::clap:

Yaay! No need to apologize, lol. Music tastes are weird. I’m in a kind of mood today where if you put on the new Panic album I’d actually turn it off, lol. It is a very bright bombastic record and that does not work all the time. I don’t often turn to my favorite King Crimson album because it’s so deeply disturbs me at times. Glad you’re digging the latest from these two!!

I cannot WAIT for the Paramore record to drop next year.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

How are you feeling about State Champs?

Was singing them back to myself yesterday! Great stuff. Not at all in that peppier mood today, but I can see this becoming regular rotation with stuff like Infinity On High and Riot for me.

• Like 1

Lamb Of God- VII: Sturm Und Drang 

The Alice In Chains influence on the track Overlord is one of the most surprising things I've listened too in this bands discography. They really pull it off! I have overlooked this album. When it came out, I saw reviews that were a little tepid and didn't explore it very much. Couple of listens, then put it away. It's now rivalling Sacrament as my favourite. Though Resolution exists...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Megadeth- Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? 

I love this album.

Several classic thrash songs here- primal, golden-era thrash. It’s interesting to me to think about how early it was in their trajectory. Wall to wall great album.

I do have issues with the production values, specifically with how the drums sound, and the way they were recorded. 

But it’s miles and miles better on that front than Killing is My Business.

Past few days:

Van Halen- S/T

Van Halen- Fair Warning

Tesla- Mechanical Resonance 

Rush- Power Windows

Traffic- John Barleycorn Must Die

Jethro Tull- Benefit

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Blue J said:

Past few days:

Van Halen- S/T

Van Halen- Fair Warning

Tesla- Mechanical Resonance 

Rush- Power Windows

Traffic- John Barleycorn Must Die

Jethro Tull- Benefit

Great to see you posting, hoping all is well with you and yours!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tinwoodsman said:

Great to see you posting, hoping all is well with you and yours!

I am doing fine, thank you my friend! 

I hope everything is well with you too.

• Like 2

220px-Van_Halen_-_Women_and_Children_Fir

Over the years, no other VH album has risen more in my personal ranking, and on this latest listening I think it may have jumped Fair Warning as my all-time favorite.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, goose said:

220px-Van_Halen_-_Women_and_Children_Fir

Over the years, no other VH album has risen more in my personal ranking, and on this latest listening I think it may have jumped Fair Warning as my all-time favorite.

It is a great album. I just started digging into old VH again at the end of the Thanksgiving weekend and I haven’t spun this one anew yet. But I’m looking forward to it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blue J said:

Several classic thrash songs here- primal, golden-era thrash. It’s interesting to me to think about how early it was in their trajectory. Wall to wall great album.

I do have issues with the production values, specifically with how the drums sound, and the way they were recorded. 

But it’s miles and miles better on that front than Killing is My Business.

I've noticed the rough production on their albums. I think it's fine though, I'm not bothered as much as I am other albums with atrocious production

Machine Head - Øf Kingdøm and Crøwn (I've tried Machine Head in the past and never really got into them. This was a really fun record. It reminds me of the first time I listened to Trivium. I'll be playing this one tomorrow too)

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

Meshuggah - Immutable

Dolly Parton - Coat of Many Colors

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

David Bowie - Earthling

• Like 4

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

hissing-Permanent-Destitution.jpg

deathspell-omega-the-furnaces-of-palinge

1349-the-infernal-pathway-9.jpg

mayhem-daemon-945x945.jpg

1 minute ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Machine Head - Øf Kingdøm and Crøwn (I've tried Machine Head in the past and never really got into them. This was a really fun record. It reminds me of the first time I listened to Trivium. I'll be playing this one tomorrow too)

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

Meshuggah - Immutable

Dolly Parton - Coat of Many Colors

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

David Bowie - Earthling

I recommend you Bloodstones And Diamonds. 

American Football - LP1 

Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane

Prince - Sign O The Times

Fleetwood Mac - Bare Trees

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

• Like 2

Huey Lewis and The News - Sports

Been a long time since I pulled this one out!!  Its full of radio friendly pop hits from the early 1980's (The Heart of Rock and Roll, Heart and Should, I Want a New Drug & If This Is It).  They are still fun, sort of cute, songs to listen to.  However the better song is Finally Found a Home.  The best song (by far, at least IMO) is Walking On A Thin Line.  Thats a song about Vietnam Vets & PTSD.  Hardly pop or fun stuff.  But I like it the most of everything on the album.  Basically an enjoyable album.  Not great but fun (with one deep, dark, well done, exception). 

• Like 2

• The topic was locked