Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

The KBC Band - The KBC Band.

For those who don't remember this group, the K was Paul Kantner, the B was Marty Balin and C was Jack Casidy - all founders of Jefferson Airplane.  The album came out in 1986.  Overall is nothing special (IMO).  I really do like the song America however.  Very good.  Also Mariel was better then I remembered.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alpha68 said:

The album was titled "I Never Said Goodbye" in the UK, but not sure if that was just over here.

Although Give To Live is on the Right Here Right Now  VH live album, Sammy played something else for his solo spot on the 93 UK tour....sorry, memory fails me for the moment as to what that was

I would assume that title was just over there.  My copy is just titled Samy Hagar.  I think I like the title used in the UK more though.

Good to know Give to Live was on the VH live album.  I thought they had played one, perhaps 2 of the songs live.  Nothing more.

1st post I see - welcome to TRF!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

It's a 2nd rate  lamb Lies down rip off......and i' already not enamored with the lamb, lol

Mick

I am and I’m telling you, The Lamb is way way better.

7 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I thought it sounded more like something from Reload.

Yeah, I was getting that super slick sound as well. The song is too vague to know if the album is something I'm going to get excited about. 

Reload has great stuff though

6 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Yeah, I was getting that super slick sound as well. The song is too vague to know if the album is something I'm going to get excited about. 

Reload has great stuff though

the new album DOES has one vomit inducing front cover though:puke:

strike one, lol

Mick

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

I would assume that title was just over there.  My copy is just titled Samy Hagar.  I think I like the title used in the UK more though.

Good to know Give to Live was on the VH live album.  I thought they had played one, perhaps 2 of the songs live.  Nothing more.

1st post I see - welcome to TRF!!!!

Thank you

As far as I know, only other Sammy solo song played by VH was One Way To Rock

I quite liked "Van Hagar" around the time of 5150, but not sure its aged too well, and i prefer DLR solo stuff these days, at least his first few albums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

the new album DOES has one vomit inducing front cover though:puke:

strike one, lol

Mick

I have to say I'm in disbelief. I saw the cover art yesterday but assumed it was an annoying advert that plagues metal sites these days. I mean EUGH!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Alpha68 said:

Thank you

As far as I know, only other Sammy solo song played by VH was One Way To Rock

I quite liked "Van Hagar" around the time of 5150, but not sure its aged too well, and i prefer DLR solo stuff these days, at least his first few albums.

One Way to Rock?  Dang, I really like that song.

Somehow I never got to see either VH or Sammy with any of his bands or solo projects.  I also remember that the live album you mentioned had a VH cover of The Who's Wont Get Fooled Again.  Pitty I never got to see them.  Such is life - one of the few bands I never got to see at least once.

I remember that when DLR left VH my immediate reaction was that Sammy should be the natural replacement.  According to one report I heard, Eddie Van Halen wanted Patty Smyth of Scandal to be the replacement and his brother and Michael Anthony talked him into Sammy.  Perhaps the oddest part of it is that (again, according to what I once heard) when VH recorded their first album the producer was having such a hard time getting useable vocals from DLR that the record producer wanted to boot DLR at that point and bring in another singer.  The singer he suggested was .... Sammy.  Weird how history turns out.

Although I liked 5150, it never lived up to what I expected.  However I was never a big fan of DLR's solo work.  I preferred Sammy's solo work to DLR's solo work - for me that's not close.  As for the "which VH is better" argument my answer as the years have gone by is "Got me.  I don't know.  The DLR band had more, energy (for lack of a better phrase).  But the Samy version was slightly more complex in songwriting."  Guess it depends on what mood I am in.

• Like 1

Devin Townsend Project - Addicted!

Elder - Innate Passage (Another late year contender for AOTY)

Disillusion - Ayam

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - ALLELUJAH! DON'T BEND! ASCEND!

Duran Duran - Rio

Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Blind Guardian - The God Machine

Russian Circles - Gnosis

Elder - Omens

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Disillusion - Ayam

Duran Duran - Rio

Russian Circles - Gnosis

Elder - Omens

Okay I have to ask, thoughts on BG? Only one of my top fave bands ever 😂

18 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Disillusion - Ayam

Duran Duran - Rio

Russian Circles - Gnosis

Elder - Omens

Also, people always rag on how weird it is I can go from Taylor Swift to Death, but you deserve recognition too: Duran Duran AND Godspeed You! Black Emperor? 

Legend.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Also, people always rag on how weird it is I can go from Taylor Swift to Death, but you deserve recognition too: Duran Duran AND Godspeed You! Black Emperor? 

Legend.

Actually

• Haha 2

Pinegrove - Marigold

The Weakerthans - Left And Leaving

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

American Football - LP1

Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me

I told y’all I was on an emo kick

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Legend.

Your recent listening somewhat inspired it lol. I wanted to listen to a bit of metal but figured there should be some calm in the eye of the storm.

I quite liked the new Blind Guardian record but it's still an early listen for me. I don't have it ranked as high as Beyond the Red Mirror but I think it'll grow on me a bit. This year a lot of my favorite records have been pretty underwhelming at first.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Your recent listening somewhat inspired it lol. I wanted to listen to a bit of metal but figured there should be some calm in the eye of the storm.

I quite liked the new Blind Guardian record but it's still an early listen for me. I don't have it ranked as high as Beyond the Red Mirror but I think it'll grow on me a bit. This year a lot of my favorite records have been pretty underwhelming at first.

Good to know! Metal is my favourite genre, but I don't dismiss any form of music. I'm always open, and if I don't like it? Ask me again next year to try.

As for Blind Guardian, I'm with you. Unlike a lot of fans, I don't think the latest is a return to form, because they never lost it.

It's a really good album, but it's not a favourite in their discography.

What are your albums of the year? I've been fairly narrow minded with new releases. Discovering Blind Guardian and Rhapsody Of Fire dominated this year, and Machine Head, Lamb Of God, Rush and Mastodon dominated the rest. 

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Actually

I have an apology to make. This past month, both Paramore and Panic! have opened up to me. Call me jaded, I find Panic! so glossy it can really turn me off. But...those vocals and hooks have a way of proving themselves!

As for Paramore, I always loved Brand New Eyes and Paramore, but the works after were not instant. Now I recognise After Laughter as a great album. 

I really thought Panic! released an awful album this year, but the quality shone through. I was so caught up on power, death and metalcore I just wasn't open to anything else. 

I've got a very weird top ten this year 😂

• Like 1

• The topic was locked