Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love

David Bowie - Stage (2017 version)

Muse - Will Of The People

The new Muse album is a quality addition to their discography. I cannot be convinced otherwise.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

The new Muse album is a quality addition to their discography. I cannot be convinced otherwise.

imean yea it's ok to be wrong.  No one can always be right like me.

:yes:

lol

Mick

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Which RHCP album do you prefer from this year?

9 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Which RHCP album do you prefer from this year?

I haven’t checked out the other one yet, I’m still digesting the first 2 course meal!

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Lorna Shore- Pain Remains 

This new album is breathtaking. Some beautiful lyrics, the most powerful and varied extreme vocals I have heard in a long time, beautiful orchestration and soaring riffs. The entire album works, and some of these lyrics are really impactful, and tender:

We're dancing like flames, flickering in the night

We sway in time with the wind before melting away

You're far from my reach but not far out of sight

You know the way to my heart but you just play the strings again

Flicker like shadows dancing beyond the flame

Captivate, hypnotized by the fire in her eyes

You took me by surprise

And then you disappeared in the blink of an eye

Pull me into the pyre

Engulf me in flames

Captivate me, eidolon, gravity

Magnetic, pull me toward my ecstasy

I see this band getting better, and I'm liking them more and more.

This seems to be getting quite the good reaction from a lot of people. Perhaps the band is taking the deathcore genre down a new path where it doesn't suck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

This seems to be getting quite the good reaction from a lot of people. Perhaps the band is taking the deathcore genre down a new path where it doesn't suck.

I don't know what to say really, I've looked into other bands of that nature and they are all awful.

Something about this band feels so genuine, and highly emotional. But I do have a major beef, a whole album of this high octane energy is A LOT. 

Plus the songs require a lyric sheet until you get your head around the vocals. I sorta see Lorna Shore as a really modern take on what In Flames were doing in the nineties. It's like an extreme form of melodic Swedish death metal. Sure, the songs really would work with clean vocals, especially the choruses, but I like how there is no "softening" vocally. That element comes from the orchestration and the choral moments. 

There are moments on this album I thought Lorna Shore were going to go even further down an experimental path and really floor us with instrumental passages and add layers of depth not seen in this style, but they didn't quite manage it. They aren't peaking yet, I still feel they have a lot more to give, and they owe themselves and their talent an even stronger album than this. One thing is for certain, fan groups really are touched by these guys. The music, the lyrics, the vibe they give off, for something so anti-commercial, they are threatening the mainstream with this album. I applaud that, because it's not all guns blazing, look how violent we sound. It's sincere music that just takes a couple of spins to digest.

• Like 1

Lorna Shore- Immortal 

I don't know if I like this shitty "deathcore" label. This band I would recommend to fans of Testament, Lamb Of God, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Trivium and As I Lay Dying in a heartbeat. Technical, heavy, thunderous, overflowing with intense emotions, and truly thought provoking lyrical passages...this is truly beautiful metal, yes it's extreme, but it's beautiful. The more I listen the more I feel part of the noise. It's intense yes, but unlike many shitty bands that just offer brutality for mosh pits, this band creates great music for the mind. I'm really, really shocked I love this band. The label slapped on them does them a disservice. If this came out in 2006 it would not have been out of place on the metal scene. It's not that far removed from the death metal I listened too from around that time, or the adjacent popular styles that were emerging back then.

• Like 1

Lamb Of God- Omens 

Now this is the sound of a band who has realised their full potential many times over. I can't tell if this album is a touch safe or not, but what I do know is that it's definitely a top five album for me this year.

• Like 2

Blind Guardian- The God Machine 

Sod's law that I discover Blind Guardian this year, become obsessed and play them endlessly for months, and burn out on their sound for a while the moment the new album comes out.

Now I'm back into them (admittedly I think I spent like three weeks not playing them), the new album keeps improving. I don't know if I agree with fans that this is a major return to form, as I don't think they dipped. But this is a return to their speed metal days. Fans of Somewhere Far Belong and Imaginations From The Other Side should definitely check this out. But it's not a nostalgic album, this is once again BG pushing their sound further.

Blind Guardian and Rhapsody Of Fire make up for the loss I felt observing Sonata Arctica dipping further and further into obscurity.

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

you like Journey of the Sorcerer? 

only thing i skip.

Mick

I’m mostly just joking with you. I think I do like that track but it’s been a while since I listened. I’ll have to come back around to it.

• Like 1

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon

ITWOP is pretty well just a lesser sibling of ITCOTCK. Side one is practically identical in structure, but the songs themselves aren’t quite as fantastic as those on the debut. Side two breaks off a bit with Cat Food, which I actually really enjoy, but then The Devil’s Triangle gives Moonchild a run for it’s money in the category of “most unfulfilling way to spend ten minutes of your life listening to King Crimson.” I don’t hate it, but it just doesn’t hold a candle to anything else on their first five albums, or Red and Discipline for that matter.

• Like 1

Chicago-Born for This Moment (8/10)

their most recent from this year and........I LIKE THIS??????

not to say this is up to any Kath era album.  but think is as Hot Streets/13 but a lot better.

plenty of balads yes but it's really good. to even great.

A few stinkers too..par for the course.  but i really enjoyed this.

color me amazed and kinda delighted.

Mick

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

Chicago-Born for This Moment (8/10)

their most recent from this year and........I LIKE THIS??????

not to say this is up to any Kath era album.  but think is as Hot Streets/13 but a lot better.

plenty of balads yes but it's really good. to even great.

A few stinkers too..par for the course.  but i really enjoyed this.

color me amazed and kinda delighted.

Mick

hm...... do I need to have a Chicago phase sometime soon? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

hm...... do I need to have a Chicago phase sometime soon? 

i heard a sample from the new record on youtube.  and as i say.  don't expect Kath era level but i actually geta vibe they really put work in on this.  it's not perfect.  but the songwriting and arrangements are really well crafted.

the big negative is....lots of programmed drums BUT it really doesn't distract too badly.  cause i'm serious when i say I think this is their best batch of songs in a LONG time.

Mick

• Like 2

• The topic was locked