Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

56 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i never know with you and prog so i never revommend much.  But FK have elements iof Yes, ELP, Genesis, Floyd.  They are more jam oriented than the pop-ier.....Goofier Spock's Beard.

so i wou;d normally recommend them to folks......you i just don't know:laugh2:

Mick

Modern prog is so unusual to me. I got so familiar with analog recording and it IS different...that modern prog feels so...off?

But I try

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Modern prog is so unusual to me. I got so familiar with analog recording and it IS different...that modern prog feels so...off?

But I try

huh.......in some cases i enjoy modern more.

but i'm not discounting retro either.

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

huh.......in some cases i enjoy modern more.

but i'm not discounting retro either.

Mick

I've never explored modern prog well. Prog metal? Yes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, treeduck said:

of-feather-and-bone-sulfuric-disintegrat

Gorephilia-in-the-eye-of-nothing.jpg

lie-in-ruins-floating-in-timeless-stream

burial-inner-gateways-to-the-slumbering-

I wish I was as metal as you. All the same, love these covers!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, treeduck said:

These ones are good ones, especially the Of Feather and Bone (the one at the top).

Any of these worth a listen? Genre? 

7 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Any of these worth a listen? Genre? 

These are all old school death metal albums, in other words that's the style, not that they're from 1993. I'm not sure you'd like these, you may need to warm up with this one:

disma-towards-the-megalith.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, treeduck said:

These are all old school death metal albums, in other words that's the style, not that they're from 1993. I'm not sure you'd like these, you may need to warm up with this one:

I've been exploring early death metal. Mostly with Death. I love the more mainstream variant melodic death metal, mostly from Sweden. So I want to explore more of that genres less polished roots.

I'm grateful to any examples you can think of!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I've been exploring early death metal. Mostly with Death. I love the more mainstream variant melodic death metal, mostly from Sweden. So I want to explore more of that genres less polished roots.

I'm grateful to any examples you can think of!

Well a band I like is Aeternam from Israel. They have a mystical, middle-eastern style, with clean and death vocals.

• Like 2

Scanning  and checking my computer, including the music files:

King Crimson-Live In Toronto

The Police-Message In A Box-The Complete Recordings.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

You can't tell the genre by the unreadable band logos? That's a death metal thing.

These days loads of bands use logos like that. A lot of shitty deathcore etc, for clout.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

These days loads of bands use logos like that. A lot of shitty deathcore etc, for clout.

That's smart because I don't know why anyone would willingly buy a deathcore album. But if the logo is disguised to look like old school death metal then there's a chance that band's shitty album might get bought 😄

10 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

That's smart because I don't know why anyone would willingly buy a deathcore album. But if the logo is disguised to look like old school death metal then there's a chance that band's shitty album might get bought 😄

Funnily enough that has always been my theory 😂 the best of these bands I've heard is Lorna Shore but I think they restrict their potential by sticking to close to that shitty deathcore formula 

Edited by Segue Myles

50 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Funnily enough that has always been my theory 😂 the best of these bands I've heard is Lorna Shore but I think they restrict their potential by sticking to close to that shitty deathcore formula 

Yes, squealing pig vocals backed by constant blast beats just so those bands can act like they're brutal and shocking doesn't appeal to me.

• Haha 1

Rhapsody- Symphony Of Enchanted Lands II (The Dark Secret)

Spotify labels this the first "Rhapsody Of Fire" release, but it was actually the last "Rhapsody", so I label it as such (I don't like the RoF moniker much, so as long as I can refer to them simply as Rhapsody, I will).

This was a watershed album for them. They slowly evolve past their power metal days into symphonic metal, and it's a style that suits them, but lacks a little of the excitement of their initial run of albums. All the same, a song as grand and over the top as Unholy Warcry will never lose my attention. However this and the following album, the surprisingly soft Triumph Or Agony, are my least favourite albums of theirs in this phase of the band.

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Yes, squealing pig vocals backed by constant blast beats just so those bands can act like they're brutal and shocking doesn't appeal to me.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I had a moment with Lorna Shore but the stuff going on that's good is bogged down by the utterly unbearable issues you have brought up. It sounds like edgy metal for kids who just want people to think they are edgy lol.

If Lorna Shore would break away from that garbage, they could be amazing. I appreciate a lot they have done but it's all firmly in 5/10 territory, 6 at best. 

I love a lot of metal that is frowned upon, but normally it's because it's cheesy or too poppy. In cases like Deathcore, I honestly think it's because it's straight up trash.

If the best band in the genre can only be improved by abandoning said genre, you know it's got issues 😂

• Like 2

17 hours ago, treeduck said:

Playing this now. Very impressive! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Playing this now. Very impressive! 

Unfortunately I just looked into the band. Apparently members have Nazi leanings? Afraid that puts me off.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/disma-part-ways-with-vocalist-following-years-of-nazi-affiliation/

This goes against all I stand for. Shame, I hear the talent, but if you want to use your music to celebrate Nazi Germany and endorse the idea that poor Hitler lost, I'm out.

Still, I got four songs in and loved the atmosphere. Anything like Disma without those leanings would be much appreciated Treeduck (and I'm not getting at you for being a fan)

Edited by Segue Myles

• The topic was locked