Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary [8/10]

R.E.M. - Automatic for the People [10/10]

Lou Reed - Lou Reed [6/10]

Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True [8/10]

Lynyrd Skynyrd - (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd) [9/10]

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

Screaming Trees- Dust 

I'm really enjoying this album more and more. Owned it for several years, and used to think it was quite dull. Now I find it a fascinating and rewarding album. Not sure why it got labelled as grunge though, it's very phycedelic rock with a nineties flavour.

Underrated, I think I ought to check other records of theirs out.

Since Saturday:

Between You and Me - Paper Thin EP

Between You and Me - Everything Is Temporary

Between You and Me - Reimagined EP

Between You and Me - Armageddon

Hot Rod Circuit - The Underground Is A Dying Breed

Keep Up - Keep Up EP

Keep Up - Up In Flames

Keep Up - Win Some, Lose None EP

7 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Screaming Trees- Dust 

I'm really enjoying this album more and more. Owned it for several years, and used to think it was quite dull. Now I find it a fascinating and rewarding album. Not sure why it got labelled as grunge though, it's very phycedelic rock with a nineties flavour.

I have Sweet Oblivion by them. It’s very good. I think the grunge label applies to them bout as well as it applies to anyone else. They were actually in the early 90s alternative music scene in Seattle, so by that definition they’re as grunge as it gets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Screaming Trees- Dust 

Everything new in the 90s was labeled grunge or alternative. If it sold well, record stores would stock the album in the Alternative section. I saw Load from Metallica and Youthanasia from Megadeth in the Alternative section when they were new. Now, you could argue Metallica definitely went alternative on that album. But that along with grunge were the hot labels, so if they wanted it to sell, they called it one of those.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Everything new in the 90s was labeled grunge or alternative. If it sold well, record stores would stock the album in the Alternative section. I saw Load from Metallica and Youthanasia from Megadeth in the Alternative section when they were new. Now, you could argue Metallica definitely went alternative on that album. But that along with grunge were the hot labels, so if they wanted it to sell, they called it one of those.

I've always found it an iffy label. I think it describes fashion better than it does music.

I can't imagine any other era putting Nirvana and Soundgarden in the exact same category. Or Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains. Or Screaming Trees and Hole.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I have Sweet Oblivion by them. It’s very good. I think the grunge label applies to them bout as well as it applies to anyone else. They were actually in the early 90s alternative music scene in Seattle, so by that definition they’re as grunge as it gets.

Oh okay! I know little of this band. I've owned this album for years and it's quietly grown on me. I'm really enjoying it these days, I think it could be worth checking more albums out.

• Like 1

Iron Maiden- No Prayer For The Dying 

Judas Priest- Point Of Entry 

I love both these albums.

• Like 3

Rhapsody- Dawn Of Victory 

Screaming Trees- Dust 

I tried another ST album, but I don't feel ready to dive in yet. This is a wonderful album, and I want to spend time with it. Not every album I enjoy has me racing for a full discography marathon. But I see it happening in time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Machine Head - Of Kingdom and Crown 

I loooove this album. Played a few songs today as they came up on a playlist. Should be getting a copy soon!

Probably my metal album of the year, but Septicflesh and Lamb Of God are excellent too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I loooove this album. Played a few songs today as they came up on a playlist. Should be getting a copy soon!

Probably my metal album of the year, but Septicflesh and Lamb Of God are excellent too.

It's between Machine Head and Megadeth for my metal album of the year. I'm leaning towards Machine Head because after the last album I wasn't expecting much but they far exceeded my expectations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

It's between Machine Head and Megadeth for my metal album of the year. I'm leaning towards Machine Head because after the last album I wasn't expecting much but they far exceeded my expectations.

Shit, I keep forgetting about the new Megadeth!

• The topic was locked