Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Alter Bridge-Panws & Kings

OK i've had five Listens and First off with any AB album one should NEVER expect innovation or your only gonna disike al of it.  they have a slice of rock they do and they do it well.

saying that......this album is  damn good.  It has 3 of my fav AB songs in a while

Sin After Sin (such a down dirty groove)

Fable of the Silent Son

The title song.

this album has some pretty grunge-y riffs and in some cases the solos from Tremonti have real grit and stank on them.

Other tracks i like.

Holiday

Last man Standing

Dead Among The Living.

to boot they finally learned to make an album under an hour.  less fat on here.

My thing is this. 

The last hero was too long and weighed down in noise and tired-ness

for me.

Walk the Sky for some (not me)  may be too safe (whatever the f**k that means this is AB, lol)

This feels like they hammered out the "newer AB era sound" finally.

early rating-8/10

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Fitz & The Tantrums - Pickin Up The Pieces

John Mellencamp - Scarecrow

John Mellencamp - Uh-Huh

Oasis - Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants

• Like 3

Lacuna Coil-Comalies XX(TRA large dump)

ok i made that last tag up.  but this was not needed.  oh it's bad.  and i tried.  Nothing here improves the original.  Swamped and Heaven's A lie are two of the most insulting remakes i've ever heard.

i know how this sounds....i do.......BUT i HATE the direction (forced or not) they've taken.  drenching the sound in a candy coated glaze of shit.

This sucked.  i'm putting on the OG Comalies......RIGHT NOW.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

51 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Lacuna Coil-Comalies XX(TRA large dump)

ok i made that last tag up.  but this was not needed.  oh it's bad.  and i tried.  Nothing here improves the original.  Swamped and Heaven's A lie are two of the most insulting remakes i've ever heard.

i know how this sounds....i do.......BUT i HATE the direction (forced or not) they've taken.  drenching the sound in a candy coated glaze of shit.

This sucked.  i'm putting on the OG Comalies......RIGHT NOW.

Mick

I've only heard the Tight Rope and Swamped singles so far. I think the Tight Rope remake is terrible. I thought Swamped was better than that but where's the punch in the riff? It's completely missing from the new version. I'm baffled that they decided to do this while so many other bands took advantage of the covid downtime and have given us some really good stuff over the last year. It just makes them look bad when the rest of their peers are releasing new material.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Jimmy Eat World - Surviving

Mmm this is really good.

dude this album is fantastic.  it's one of their growers.  But this record is just fun and chock full of bangers.

i prefer it to integrity Blues which was much more serious in tone.  this one is lighter and just cracks with energy.

Mick

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

dude this album is fantastic.  it's one of their growers.  But this record is just fun and chock full of bangers.

i prefer it to integrity Blues which was much more serious in tone.  this one is lighter and just cracks with energy.

Mick

I will say I'm a bit iffy on the "let's try to do a pop song" synth led track, but the rest of it is tasty classic sounding Jimmy. Really really dig All The Way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I've only heard the Tight Rope and Swamped singles so far. I think the Tight Rope remake is terrible. I thought Swamped was better than that but where's the punch in the riff? It's completely missing from the new version. I'm baffled that they decided to do this while so many other bands took advantage of the covid downtime and have given us some really good stuff over the last year. It just makes them look bad when the rest of their peers are releasing new material.

Personally I found much to enjoy. The band simply wanted to do something special, rather than just a fancy rerelease for the album's anniversary. I had great fun with it, and can imagine some of these versions really working great live.

Alter Bridge- Pawns And Kings 

It's very good. Some great songs here, nothing much excites me but it feels like a combination of the best elements of the last two albums. An improvement definitely. As with all AB, it will take a few listens to digest.

58 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

It's very good. Some great songs here, nothing much excites me but it feels like a combination of the best elements of the last two albums. An improvement definitely. As with all AB, it will take a few listens to digest.

Playing it again, it reminds me a lot of one of my favourite AB albums, The Last Hero, but with more breathing room and creative flourishes 

On my third listen and it's very addictive. Feels more "metal". 

Safe to say, I think I love it.

Alter Bridge- The Last Hero 

I am a big fan of this album. Still love it, and the new album really builds on this one especially. 

11 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Alter Bridge-Panws & Kings

OK i've had five Listens and First off with any AB album one should NEVER expect innovation or your only gonna disike al of it.  they have a slice of rock they do and they do it well.

saying that......this album is  damn good.  It has 3 of my fav AB songs in a while

Sin After Sin (such a down dirty groove)

Fable of the Silent Son

The title song.

this album has some pretty grunge-y riffs and in some cases the solos from Tremonti have real grit and stank on them.

Other tracks i like.

Holiday

Last man Standing

Dead Among The Living.

to boot they finally learned to make an album under an hour.  less fat on here.

My thing is this. 

The last hero was too long and weighed down in noise and tired-ness

for me.

Walk the Sky for some (not me)  may be too safe (whatever the f**k that means this is AB, lol)

This feels like they hammered out the "newer AB era sound" finally.

early rating-8/10

Mick

The problem I have with WTS is minor, but for me the album feels from start to finish like very good album tracks, no genuine killer top shelf AB moments. Like their b-sides album on the Live at the O2 release has more career highlights for me than this did. The Last Hero is definitely a divisive album, I see it really conflicted the fanbase, but I loved it.

Pawns And Kings is better than both in my opinion, at least that's how I feel on the first day. 

• Like 1

Lacuna Coil- Comalies XX 

This is getting great reviews, and I can hear why. I'm having a lot of fun with this album. I think it holds up really well. Nothing wrong with a bit of forward thinking nostalgia if it's done with as much charisma and charm as this. 

Yes I am playing this again. This is the most I have enjoyed an AB album since Fortress nearly 10 years ago! What a great album, leaning into a more metallic side has worked wonders. Start to finish, everything is a winner. Some of their best production as well to date.

Decided to do a Septicflesh marathon.

Septicflesh- Mystic Places Of Dawn 

Outstanding death/doom. Not played this for a long time! 

Septicflesh- Esoptron 

Yeah, forgot how much I love this band. 

• The topic was locked