Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

A friend of mine described solo Sammy perfectly IMO, "He's the apex of mediocrity."  His voice is very strong, even now, but there's nothing terribly unique about him.  He writes solid music, but he probably has about 10 -15 "great," songs.  He is (again IMO) one of if not the most cringe-worthy lyricists of all time.  The title of Standing Hampton being very much in line with how he writes lyrics.  Standing Hampton has more rightly notable songs of his than his other albums.   I saw him in the summer of 2019 with Mike Anthony and his solo band.  He sounded great.   There's a good reason about 50% of the song list was comprised of songs co-written with EVH.

I think he had a pretty good run from 1979 to 1984 and then there's the two Montrose albums as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

And since we're talking about Sammy I'll slip this in here too, since I just watched it.

They opened for Aerosmith last month at Fenway.  I saw Gary Cherone front the Joe Perry Project when they opened for ZZ Top this summer.  He sounds excellent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

Yeah I'd almost given up on these guys. When was the last one? 2007? 

Yep. The new one's been in the works for a few years. One of those bands that could have (should have)  had a greater output 

36 minutes ago, yyz305 said:

Yep. The new one's been in the works for a few years. One of those bands that could have (should have)  had a greater output 

I read that they had a whole album worth of material recorded a few years ago and they threw it all out and started again.

20 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

A friend of mine described solo Sammy perfectly IMO, "He's the apex of mediocrity."  His voice is very strong, even now, but there's nothing terribly unique about him.  He writes solid music, but he probably has about 10 -15 "great," songs.  He is (again IMO) one of if not the most cringe-worthy lyricists of all time.  The title of Standing Hampton being very much in line with how he writes lyrics.  Standing Hampton has more rightly notable songs of his than his other albums.   I saw him in the summer of 2019 with Mike Anthony and his solo band.  He sounded great.   There's a good reason about 50% of the song list was comprised of songs co-written with EVH.

VOA is a solid album. I played that to death when it was released & still enjoy it today.

• Like 4

Septicflesh- Modern Primitive

This new album from one of the most creative bands in all of metal is blowing my mind. Album of the year? So far? Yes. J2112YYZ, check this band out. 

Lamb Of God- Omens 

I tend to love everything they ever do. Can't say I've ever been disappointed, but this new album hits differently. This might be their best work since 2006's Sacrament. I'm in love with it!

Machine Head- Of Kingdom And Crown 

This is a phenomenal album. It's in my top three MH albums. I love everything, from the surprisingly playful songwriting choices, to the polished production, to the focused band energy that was so lacking on Catharsis. 

Blind Guardian- The God Machine 

Fans are acting like this is the band's greatest work in many, many years. It's great, but as someone who loves their entire discography, I'm a bit confused as to why fans are acting so surprised. 

This year is turning out to be fantastic for my metal tastes. Throw in the latest Saxon and Behemoth albums, I'm having a great year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Septicflesh- Modern Primitive

This new album from one of the most creative bands in all of metal is blowing my mind. Album of the year? So far? Yes. J2112YYZ, check this band out. 

Lamb Of God- Omens 

I tend to love everything they ever do. Can't say I've ever been disappointed, but this new album hits differently. This might be their best work since 2006's Sacrament. I'm in love with it!

Machine Head- Of Kingdom And Crown 

This is a phenomenal album. It's in my top three MH albums. I love everything, from the surprisingly playful songwriting choices, to the polished production, to the focused band energy that was so lacking on Catharsis. 

Blind Guardian- The God Machine 

Fans are acting like this is the band's greatest work in many, many years. It's great, but as someone who loves their entire discography, I'm a bit confused as to why fans are acting so surprised. 

This year is turning out to be fantastic for my metal tastes. Throw in the latest Saxon and Behemoth albums, I'm having a great year.

Septicflesh is a name I've known for a while but don't think I have heard anything from. Always figured with that name they were some death metal garbage. Turns out they're classified as symphonic death metal. Not sure I like the sound of that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Septicflesh is a name I've known for a while but don't think I have heard anything from. Always figured with that name they were some death metal garbage. Turns out they're classified as symphonic death metal. Not sure I like the sound of that.

It's not what you think. They don't sound like Nightwish meets most generic band in death metal.

They are very creative, powerful songwriters. I have no idea who to compare them too. The best I can think is early Gojira meets Emperor meets early Dark Tranquility. They definitely are worth recommending if you love bands like Lamb Of God or Machine Head.

Edited by Segue Myles

9 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

i played some.  first listen i'm not too impressed.  that doesn't mean anything of course but i got bored rather quickly.

Mick

Mashine Head of Kingdom & Crown (8/10)

Hmmmmm i'm tryinng to figure out why i'm not feeling this as much as others.  Before folk get upset.  this is NOT me saying it's a bad album so do not take this that way.

Something's not clicking fully here.  It's heavy......for sure......but at the same time there's something so clinical and robotic sounding here that's been taking me out of it since day one.  the drums almost sound programmed and fake. Now there obviously played by a human of course but there just so flat sounding  But in MH'S defense i hear that drum sound over a lot of modern metal so i don't blame them.

is it bad.....no. but i had this about sixth in my ranking and i after a dozen or so listens i'm ok with it there.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mashine Head of Kingdom & Crown (8/10)

Hmmmmm i'm tryinng to figure out why i'm not feeling this as much as others.  Before folk get upset.  this is NOT me saying it's a bad album so do not take this that way.

Something's not clicking fully here.  It's heavy......for sure......but at the same time there's something so clinical and robotic sounding here that's been taking me out of it since day one.  the drums almost sound programmed and fake. Now there obviously played by a human of course but there just so flat sounding  But in MH'S defense i hear that drum sound over a lot of modern metal so i don't blame them.

is it bad.....no. but i had this about sixth in my ranking and i after a dozen or so listens i'm ok with it there.

Mick

It's all good. I still am in the minority that felt Unto The Locust was a bit of a letdown. 

• Like 1

• The topic was locked