The Warning - Queen Of The Murder Scene

My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge

Muse - Origin Of Symmetry

and a bunch of Muse B-Sides

• Like 2

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

Machine Head - Of Kingdom and Crown

Slipknot - The End So Far 

I'm liking the new Slipknot more with each listen. That opening song being so mellow is really what threw me off at first. But the rest of the album is solid enough overall once you're used to the slower opening song. Far from their best but still solid enough.

The new Machine Head though! Might be my second favorite from them. I really can't believe how good it is after the turd sandwich that was Catharsis.

Catharsis has a title track I love to death and then...erm 

YAY NEW ALBUM

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

The thing is, Imagine Dragons was originally just one of dozens of pop oriented alternative bands that were up and coming in the late 00s and early 10s. Yeah they were pretty recognizable from the other bands, not least because of how middle of the road their sound was, but they were pulling from the same bag of tricks as everyone else trying to get on the radio at the time. Big shout along choruses, relatable lyrics hinting at mental health, youth, and romance as big themes, liberal use of electronic elements paired with live rock instruments, not too heavy on the distortion pedals (the massive bass will take care of that), featured sections or songs for acoustic string instruments, and tight pop songwriting where everything is a hook. Not every band did everything in the playbook all the time (notably some were more exclusively acoustic and others exclusively electronic), but it was easy to put MGMT, Fun, Of Monsters And Men, The Lumineers, AWOLNATION, and Imagine Dragons all back to back on your playlist, along with dozens of others. So it’s really weird to me in a way that everyone refers to it as the Imagine Dragons influence or sound now, as if they invented it. They’re just the biggest commercial success of the group.

Well, Imagine Dragons was the first band I heard with that sound. Maybe they didn't invent it but they ended up being responsible for polluting the collective musical listening public with that style.

Just now, Segue Myles said:

That's a really bloated way to explain the simple:

They are utter shite

That isn’t at all what I was saying. I mean, sure, that’s a totally fair assessment. But I was talking about the fact that what gets referred to as the “Imagine Dragons” sound feels like a misnomer to me, because there were so many other bands who played in that wheelhouse during the time ID got big (Gotye, Cage The Elephant, Neon Trees, The Neighborhood, Grouplove, Mumford And Sons, Foster The People… etc etc). I tend to trace this back all the way to the first MGMT album, when this eclectic indie sound, as liable to go dance as to go folk, started making big waves on the pop charts.  Imagine Dragons are just the biggest name of the group, the ones who wrote more radio conquering singles than any of the others. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Well, Imagine Dragons was the first band I heard with that sound. Maybe they didn't invent it but they ended up being responsible for polluting the collective musical listening public with that style.

I figured this has to be the reasoning, and it’s fair. It just reduces the whole crop of bands that were big at the time down to their lowest common denominator, like likening every hair metal band to motley crue. That’s mainly what frustrates me a bit.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Yes, the title track is great. The rest not so much.

7 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Catharsis has a title track I love to death and then...erm 

YAY NEW ALBUM

Catharsis is......what it is. lol.

i'm honestly not huge on the new one.......it's good but can't say i'm nuts for it eitheer.

Mick

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I figured this has to be the reasoning, and it’s fair. It just reduces the whole crop of bands that were big at the time down to their lowest common denominator, like likening every hair metal band to motley crue. That’s mainly what frustrates me a bit.

I am not aware of this crop of bands that you speak of. As I said, that style moved me away from what rock was becoming. Imagine Dragons started it and it was all downhill from there for me.

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

I am not aware of this crop of bands that you speak of. As I said, that style moved me away from what rock was becoming. Imagine Dragons started it and it was all downhill from there for me.

And I don’t mind you not being aware. I don’t think you’d care for much of it anyway. I’m just very very mildly annoyed with how history has chosen to only remember Imagine Dragons.

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

And I don’t mind you not being aware. I don’t think you’d care for much of it anyway. I’m just very very mildly annoyed with how history has chosen to only remember Imagine Dragons.

Well, I didn't care for it. That style pretty much drove me away from rock for close to a decade. It's probably one of the reasons I feel so in love with The Warning 😄

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Well, I didn't care for it. That style pretty much drove me away from rock for close to a decade. It's probably one of the reasons I feel so in love with The Warning 😄

I was just thinking earlier today The Warning are strong Muse and My Chemical Romance influences, both bands from just before that period of alternative. So it figures you’d dig them if that was the last period of rock you paid much attention to!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I was just thinking earlier today The Warning are strong Muse and My Chemical Romance influences, both bands from just before that period of alternative. So it figures you’d dig them if that was the last period of rock you paid much attention to!

I'm not even a fan of Muse or MCR. Still, I never heard anything from them that was so bad it drove me away from a genre like Imagine Dragons and the rest of their kind did.

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I'm not even a fan of Muse or MCR. Still, I never heard anything from them that was so bad it drove me away from a genre like Imagine Dragons and the rest of their kind did.

Oh I’m sure I could find you something from Muse to make you plug your ears! I think I know you well enough to know some of their stuff you’d probably hate, lol.

20 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh I’m sure I could find you something from Muse to make you plug your ears! I think I know you well enough to know some of their stuff you’d probably hate, lol.

I know a few songs from them but nothing ever grabbed my attention. One of those in one ear and out the other bands for me.

25 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I know a few songs from them but nothing ever grabbed my attention. One of those in one ear and out the other bands for me.

Interesting, there’s practically nothing forgettable about them for me. 

10 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

The state of rock in the early 2010s is what drove me to classic rock on metal for most of the subsequent decade.

Whilst the world fawned over Five Finger Death Punch and Imagine Dragons, I devoured Rush, Fleetwood Mac, Iron Maiden, Paradise Lost etc

4 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Interesting, there’s practically nothing forgettable about them for me. 

Absolution still thrills

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Absolution still thrills

the first 4 albums all still work for me.  it was only around the restistance i smelled something foul.

Resistance: OH....don't know if i like that.

2nd Law: OK......EW.
Drones: OK THIS SUCKS

and on and on we roll down a hill of souless pandering pap.

Mick

Rush- Clockwork Angels 

I'm addicted to this album lately.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

the first 4 albums all still work for me.  it was only around the restistance i smelled something foul.

Resistance: OH....don't know if i like that.

2nd Law: OK......EW.
Drones: OK THIS SUCKS

and on and on we roll down a hill of souless pandering pap.

Mick

Ooo one sentence reviews! Okay let me try…

Showbiz: I can vibe with this angst

Origin Of Symmetry: My ears are buzzing with hysterical glee!

Absolution: Thrill me, comfort me, make me sing along

Black Holes & Revelations: As bright and sweet as a summertime treat but it’s a blockbuster action film!

The Resistance: The depth of my fun is as dizzying as this kaleidoscopic cover art.

The 2nd Law: So they can just play anything?

Drones: I am sad and I am scared and I am still having a blast.

Simulation Theory: Just call me poptimist prime.

Will Of The People: Yes we’re going to a party party, YES WE’RE GOING TO A PARTY PARTY!!!

• Like 2

Lacuna coil-Black Anima (6/10)

this album sounds like the board game candyland just vomited all over the mixing  board.

it's sad......it feels like LC is falling into the sallow Life abyss all over again.  the new Comalies sounds like a turd to be as well.  same shitty mixing.  Paper thin drums.  Cris sounding like they stuffed her in a pool of mapal syrup and said now sing bitch

Sorry if this comes off as angry cause it for sure is angry, lol

Mick

• The topic was locked