Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

6 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I adore this album. This is the end of the fantasy saga they started with, and generally speaking the end of an era for them. How did you find it?

it's probably my favorite of theirs tbh, i'm mainly in it for Luca but there's a great variety of songs here and Fabio, while not my favorite vocalist, has some great parts in here too.  i'm trying to learn to sweep pick so i can even hope to tackle some of his solos... 

coincidentally the title track has a great Halloween vibe to it, a lot of the album is unusually spooky for them but it doesn't lose sight of the beautiful melodies either. Which reminds me, they covered Goblin at one point :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

Is that the first time you've listened to them?

No I definitely played it once before, and I distinctly recall Segue recommending a different album by them to me years ago now, which I did also listen to once. I think it was called Resist?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

it's probably my favorite of theirs tbh, i'm mainly in it for Luca but there's a great variety of songs here and Fabio, while not my favorite vocalist, has some great parts in here too.  i'm trying to learn to sweep pick so i can even hope to tackle some of his solos... 

coincidentally the title track has a great Halloween vibe to it, a lot of the album is unusually spooky for them but it doesn't lose sight of the beautiful melodies either. Which reminds me, they covered Goblin at one point :lol:

I just love the vocalist so I've always been taken back that some aren't 

This is a great album though!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

No I definitely played it once before, and I distinctly recall Segue recommending a different album by them to me years ago now, which I did also listen to once. I think it was called Resist?

I only picked that one because it had a touch of Imagine Dragons influence lol

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

That is their newest album. You should probably give that one a listen if you decide to go see them with Maiden. The Heart Of Everything is their best album though.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

That is their newest album. You should probably give that one a listen if you decide to go see them with Maiden. The Heart Of Everything is their best album though.

I go back and forth with this and The Silent Force. THOE has the bonus of feeling far more varied.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Oh, thanks for ruining the album for me now 😂

I don't hear it myself but the band and some fans picked up on it.

I hate ID and LOVE Resist. It was for ages after its release my favourite album by anyone

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I don't hear it myself but the band and some fans picked up on it.

I hate ID and LOVE Resist. It was for ages after its release my favourite album by anyone

it's funny i ocassionally hear ID stupidly inexplicably popping up in metal.  i SWEAR i even heard some in the hook of one song on the new Machine Head.

and i'm like..........of ALL the bands......"facepalm"

lol.

Mick

33 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

it's funny i ocassionally hear ID stupidly inexplicably popping up in metal.  i SWEAR i even heard some in the hook of one song on the new Machine Head.

and i'm like..........of ALL the bands......"facepalm"

lol.

Mick

Well that’s the thing that makes Imagine Dragons so successful, they’re so perfectly in the middle of the road that they have an opportunity to rub off on anyone looking for a current commercial sound, kinda regardless of genre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I only picked that one because it had a touch of Imagine Dragons influence lol

Oh lol! Yeah I mean, I do enjoy Imagine Dragons, but I also usually don’t enjoy other bands picking up on their sound that much.

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well that’s the thing that makes Imagine Dragons so successful, they’re so perfectly in the middle of the road that they have an opportunity to rub off on anyone looking for a current commercial sound, kinda regardless of genre.

I thought what made them so successful is that sometimes people like crap 😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I thought what made them so successful is that sometimes people like crap 😂

they're sucsessful cause they pander to the bland vanilla middle of the road crowd who only download the singles and discard the rest.

and i'm kinda joking.  but i suspect that's true. lol.

Mick

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Dream Theater- Images And Words

was researching prog metal origins this morning and when reading about this album i found out they originally wanted to make it a double album, but their label rejected the idea. a change of seasons is one of the songs which would have been included had it been a double album, as for the rest of them i'm not sure, but seeing as this is already regarded as one of the best DT albums i'm sure if it did manage to be released as a double instead it would have made it all the more legendary. 

Since Tuesday:

Macseal - Macseal EP

Macseal - Yeah, No, I Know EP

Macseal - Map It Out

Macseal - Super Enthusiast

P!nk - The Truth About Love

Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave 

Macseal is an emo/math rock band. I saw them open for Prince Daddy And The Hyena in April, and I'm seeing them open for The Wonder Years on Saturday

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

they're sucsessful cause they pander to the bland vanilla middle of the road crowd who only download the singles and discard the rest.

and i'm kinda joking.  but i suspect that's true. lol.

Mick

They're the reason I stopped listening to my local rock radio station. Well, not them specifically but what they ended up influencing. I started to hear many other "rock bands" on the station that were obviously inspired by them. That was not the sound for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

They're the reason I stopped listening to my local rock radio station. Well, not them specifically but what they ended up influencing. I started to hear many other "rock bands" on the station that were obviously inspired by them. That was not the sound for me.

The thing is, Imagine Dragons was originally just one of dozens of pop oriented alternative bands that were up and coming in the late 00s and early 10s. Yeah they were pretty recognizable from the other bands, not least because of how middle of the road their sound was, but they were pulling from the same bag of tricks as everyone else trying to get on the radio at the time. Big shout along choruses, relatable lyrics hinting at mental health, youth, and romance as big themes, liberal use of electronic elements paired with live rock instruments, not too heavy on the distortion pedals (the massive bass will take care of that), featured sections or songs for acoustic string instruments, and tight pop songwriting where everything is a hook. Not every band did everything in the playbook all the time (notably some were more exclusively acoustic and others exclusively electronic), but it was easy to put MGMT, Fun, Of Monsters And Men, The Lumineers, AWOLNATION, and Imagine Dragons all back to back on your playlist, along with dozens of others. So it’s really weird to me in a way that everyone refers to it as the Imagine Dragons influence or sound now, as if they invented it. They’re just the biggest commercial success of the group.

• Like 1

Machine Head - Of Kingdom and Crown

Slipknot - The End So Far 

I'm liking the new Slipknot more with each listen. That opening song being so mellow is really what threw me off at first. But the rest of the album is solid enough overall once you're used to the slower opening song. Far from their best but still solid enough.

The new Machine Head though! Might be my second favorite from them. I really can't believe how good it is after the turd sandwich that was Catharsis.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

The thing is, Imagine Dragons was originally just one of dozens of pop oriented alternative bands that were up and coming in the late 00s and early 10s. Yeah they were pretty recognizable from the other bands, not least because of how middle of the road their sound was, but they were pulling from the same bag of tricks as everyone else trying to get on the radio at the time. Big shout along choruses, relatable lyrics hinting at mental health, youth, and romance as big themes, liberal use of electronic elements paired with live rock instruments, not too heavy on the distortion pedals (the massive bass will take care of that), featured sections or songs for acoustic string instruments, and tight pop songwriting where everything is a hook. Not every band did everything in the playbook all the time (notably some were more exclusively acoustic and others exclusively electronic), but it was easy to put MGMT, Fun, Of Monsters And Men, The Lumineers, AWOLNATION, and Imagine Dragons all back to back on your playlist, along with dozens of others. So it’s really weird to me in a way that everyone refers to it as the Imagine Dragons influence or sound now, as if they invented it. They’re just the biggest commercial success of the group.

That's a really bloated way to explain the simple:

They are utter shite

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked