Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

So I've seen a lot of Machine Head posts here.  I've never listened to them so I'm going to give it a go.  Question for all of you:  Do they have a "hit" album like Rush had Moving Pictures?  What I mean by that is something less experimental and more straight forward, in your face?

15 minutes ago, Pressure/Hopenosis said:

So I've seen a lot of Machine Head posts here.  I've never listened to them so I'm going to give it a go.  Question for all of you:  Do they have a "hit" album like Rush had Moving Pictures?  What I mean by that is something less experimental and more straight forward, in your face?

I guess you could try their first album Burn My Eyes if you're looking for something more straightforward from them. But Through The Ashes Of Empires, The Blackening and Unto The Locust are considered their best albums in general. The Blackening is widely regarded as their masterpiece. Machine Head is always in your face though. They're aggressive, heavy and yes, can be a bit experimental. Think if Pantera added progressive elements into what they did.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pressure/Hopenosis said:

burn my Eyes would i guess kinda qualify.  but i think if you want the best they have to offer.......The blackening.  it's the album that made me a fan again after i fell off.  cause boy did they have a suck-age era in between, lol

Mick

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I guess you could try their first album Burn My Eyes if you're looking for something more straightforward from them. But Through The Ashes Of Empires, The Blackening and Unto The Locust are considered their best albums in general. The Blackening is widely regarded as their masterpiece. Machine Head is always in your face though. They're aggressive, heavy and yes, can be a bit experimental. Think if Pantera added progressive elements into what they did.

I first saw Machine Head at OzzFest.   I ran out and bought Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change.    VERY HEAVY

• Like 3

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I'd put Bloodstones And Diamonds way above Locust and Ashes.

On 9/28/2022 at 2:45 PM, ST3V said:

Larks' Tongues In Aspic (Part I) - song and lyrics by King Crimson | Spotify

I'm not one who normally prefers instrumentals over regular songs but holy christ

Not a perfect album but damn close

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ST3V said:

Not a perfect album but damn close

It’s fantastic! But! …. They did almost all of these tunes even better on the following tours in 73 and 74. I will regularly play one of the four discs from The Great Deceiver box set instead of LTIA or SABB

Since Friday:

The Wonder Years - No Closer To Heaven

The Wonder Years - Sister Cities

The Wonder Years - The Hum Goes On Forever

Tokyo Monsters - Long Time Coming

The Home Team - Slow Bloom

The Wonder Years - The Hum Goes On Forever (again)

EP, I think you might like this album from The Home Team. Their first album was more straightforward pop punk, but this new one is like a mix of indie pop and metal. I just saw last night, opening for Real Friends and With Confidence. They signed my vinyl, and I got to meet them.

• Like 1

Triumph - Just A Game

Styx - Crash Of The Crown

(these next three in the background during DnD)

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Camel - The Snow Goose

Yes - Relayer

and first time listen just now for

AFI - The Art Of Drowning

that was awesome!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

Since Friday:

The Wonder Years - No Closer To Heaven

The Wonder Years - Sister Cities

The Wonder Years - The Hum Goes On Forever

Tokyo Monsters - Long Time Coming

The Home Team - Slow Bloom

The Wonder Years - The Hum Goes On Forever (again)

EP, I think you might like this album from The Home Team. Their first album was more straightforward pop punk, but this new one is like a mix of indie pop and metal. I just saw last night, opening for Real Friends and With Confidence. They signed my vinyl, and I got to meet them.

Sick! Okay I will look into that. It’ll be on my list with the new Megadeth, the new Ozzy, and this The Dear Hunter album a local friend recommended to me to get to quickly.

• Like 1

Smashing Pumpkins-Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (9/10)

I remember finding this in one of my bro's old CD books.  it's big it's bloated it's loud.  But i can't tell you how many vacations i brought this on and just got lost in it.

SP is an underrated band with me.

Mick

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Smashing Pumpkins-Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (9/10)

I remember finding this in one of my bro's old CD books.  it's big it's bloated it's loud.  But i can't tell you how many vacations i brought this on and just got lost in it.

SP is an underrated band with me.

Mick

Between this and Siamese Daydream I have more than enough SP for a lifetime. I also randomly own a copy of Monument To And Elegy but I never listen to it. It’s okay.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Between this and Siamese Daydream I have more than enough SP for a lifetime. I also randomly own a copy of Monument To And Elegy but I never listen to it. It’s okay.

From Gish to Mellon Collie is is the best Pumpkins.

nothing they would do has lived up.  and the reunion of (most of) the original line up has been.......weird, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Sick! Okay I will look into that. It’ll be on my list with the new Megadeth, the new Ozzy, and this The Dear Hunter album a local friend recommended to me to get to quickly.

Awesome! I definitely want to hear your thoughts. I'm obsessed with it ATM

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

From Gish to Mellon Collie is is the best Pumpkins.

nothing they would do has lived up.  and the reunion of (most of) the original line up has been.......weird, lol

Mick

I suppose I should check out Gish.

But I am staying far away from that cover of Landslide, possibly the worst cover I've ever heard from a professional musician.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked