Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

There are cookie cutter metal bands with pop punk vocals? I'm afraid I've never heard any of that before. Still it probably sounds better than the pig being slaughtered style vocals Lorna Shore has 😄

And yeah, about those cookie cutter bands. They are the reason so many dumb f***s think metal is dead. They dominate the mainstream metal scene over here. 

A Day To Remember are known in my house as A Lot Of Old Shit

11 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Machine Head - Of Kingdom and Crown

Epica - Omega

How are you finding these two albums? 

14 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

How are you finding these two albums? 

I really like Omega. Nothing has changed there since it was released last year. I'm really digging the new Machine Head more with each listen. Nothing will ever touch The Blackening. But I can put this right there with Ashes Of Empires and Locust which are my two favorites after that. As for Lorna Shore, sometimes metal goes down a path that I don't feel is necessary or good for the genre. This style, being ultra heavy and aggressive just to do it and the horrid vocals is the reason a lot of people have a bad view of metal. The only thing that makes the genre look worse is old school black metal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I really like Omega. Nothing has changed there since it was released last year. I'm really digging the new Machine Head more with each listen. Nothing will ever touch The Blackening. But I can put this right there with Ashes Of Empires and Locust which are my two favorites after that. As for Lorna Shore, sometimes metal goes down a path that I don't feel is necessary or good for the genre. This style, being ultra heavy and aggressive just to do it and the horrid vocals is the reason a lot of people have a bad view of metal. The only thing that makes the genre look worse is old school black metal.

I find Lorna Shore a really exquisite combination of various elements. Recent singles are very emotional, something I don't normally associate with a band like this. The symphonic elements are beautifully contrasted with the brutal. Great guitar licks.

I've never heard a band of the "deathcore" subgenre I liked before, but this one is a big exception.

Old school black metal has its place. Black metal in general is a genre bursting with brilliance to me: Behemoth, Emperor, Agalloch, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon. Ambient black metal is ridiculously beautiful and sometimes really uplifting (see Alcest).

Lorna Shore may have the potential for a masterpiece one day. They just need to push their limits.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Oh and as for Machine Head, my top two albums are Blackening and Bloodstones. I've always been baffled by the lukewarm reception Bloodstones got from fans.

The latest is excellent and I almost forgive them for the messy Catharsis.

• Like 1

Lamb Of God- Resolution 

Sometimes I forget that outside my favourite album of these guys, Sacrament, I actually love everything else they have done as well. In an alternate reality this one is my favourite Lamb Of God release.

• Like 1

Lamb Of God- Ashes Of The Wake  

Sometimes I forget that outside my favourite album of these guys, Sacrament, I actually love everything else they have done as well. In an alternate reality this one is my favourite Lamb Of God release.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh and as for Machine Head, my top two albums are Blackening and Bloodstones. I've always been baffled by the lukewarm reception Bloodstones got from fans.

The latest is excellent and I almost forgive them for the messy Catharsis.

I think expectations were too high for Bloodstones following the three previous albums. So, when it didn't hit anywhere near that for a lot of fans they kind of had a meh reaction to it.

• Like 1

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

I think expectations were too high for Bloodstones following the three previous albums. So, when it didn't hit anywhere near that for a lot of fans they kind of had a meh reaction to it.

Maybe it's just a personal opinion, but I always felt that The Locust was great, but a bit of a letdown after the two before it (in the nicest way though, in the same way ...Justice is a "letdown" after Master Of Puppets).

Bloodstones took over my life when it came out, and then a few years later I listened to it again and it took over my year all over again 😂

3 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Maybe it's just a personal opinion, but I always felt that The Locust was great, but a bit of a letdown after the two before it (in the nicest way though, in the same way ...Justice is a "letdown" after Master Of Puppets).

Bloodstones took over my life when it came out, and then a few years later I listened to it again and it took over my year all over again 😂

Everyone loved Locust when it was released. Most fans thought there was no better way to follow up on The Blackening. When I saw them on that tour everyone sang the songs off it at the top of their lungs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Everyone loved Locust when it was released. Most fans thought there was no better way to follow up on The Blackening. When I saw them on that tour everyone sang the songs off it at the top of their lungs.

It's definitely a great album. I loved it too, but I just loved Bloodstones way more. Locust is a great example of a modern metal band shortening the runtime to the benefit of the recording. Stunning flow.

I think I shall play that next!

• Like 1

Machine Head- Unto The Locust 

I always forget that that's the album's full title. Not played this in a long while, it's definitely a treat!

• Like 2

Megadeth- Rust In Peace 

Mariah Carey- Butterfly 

Yes, that's my Mariah. Needed a lil relief from metal 😂

J2112YYZ, I dedicate this entire post to you.

• Like 4

Mastodon- Emperor Of Sand 

One ofy favourite albums now. It wasn't at the time

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

And yeah, about those cookie cutter bands. They are the reason so many dumb f***s think metal is dead. They dominate the mainstream metal scene over here. 

A Day To Remember are known in my house as A Lot Of Old Shit

I love A Day To Remember, but their newest album was garbage.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked