Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

51 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

The Black album is odd because I feel the order of the tracks is so front heavy, it starts strong and then builds to nothing. I've played the album with the order reversed and it was better

It is pretty severely frontloaded. Played it on a plane recently and I was getting bored after Nothing Else Matters. Though I do really like My Friend Of Misery.

• Like 3

Also on the subject of Metallica and Cliff, didn’t Cliff teach James and Kirk a lot of basic music theory that they used to write harmony parts and arrange riffs into coherent compositions? James’s riffs are of course the backbone of the machine, but  my understanding is the magic way a lot of early Metallica songs develop as they go along is much due to Burton’s grasp of theory having taken classical bass lessons. I’m sure there’s some Mustaine influence in there too. Dave had a really wicked sense of harmony playing around with all sorts of chromatic chord progressions that must have rubbed off some.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

It is pretty severely frontloaded. Played it on a plane recently and I was getting bored after Nothing Else Matters. Though I do really like My Friend Of Misery.

I feel it's amongst the most ridiculously overrated albums of all time. But I get they were riding an unprecedented wave of success, and the material was ready made for chart success.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I feel it's amongst the most ridiculously overrated albums of all time. But I get they were riding an unprecedented wave of success, and the material was ready made for chart success.

To be fair, if I'd been alive when it came out, I would have stopped whatever I was doing the minute I heard Sad But True and gone to the nearest music store to buy a copy of the whole album.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Also on the subject of Metallica and Cliff, didn’t Cliff teach James and Kirk a lot of basic music theory that they used to write harmony parts and arrange riffs into coherent compositions? James’s riffs are of course the backbone of the machine, but  my understanding is the magic way a lot of early Metallica songs develop as they go along is much due to Burton’s grasp of theory having taken classical bass lessons. I’m sure there’s some Mustaine influence in there too. Dave had a really wicked sense of harmony playing around with all sorts of chromatic chord progressions that must have rubbed off some.

Cliff taught the other's music theory.  It's why the Arrangements and such got tighter on Ride the Lighting and Puppets as opposed to the raw punk like attitude of Kill em All.

Mick

• Like 2

Metallica-And Justice For All (8/10)

I never give this album enough Credit.  it has tons of great material.  the production's kinda shit but i really don't find it as bad as other albums i could mention.

i will say it kinda falls of in the 2nd half for me but i like the first 5 tracks and it's really t\enough to give this album the thumbs up. but i do hear Black album Era metallica being tested out here.  very transitional album in many ways.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

Metallica-And Justice For All (8/10)

I never give this album enough Credit.  it has tons of great material.  the production's kinda shit but i really don't find it as bad as other album i could mention.

i will say it kinda falls of in the 2nd half for me but i like the first 5 tracks and it's really t\enough to give this album the thumbs up.

Mick

AJFA is actually my favorite of theirs. I’m a sucker for proggy stuff and the time changes and tricky drum arrangements on here are just so satisfying for me. Plus I actually kinda dig the production? It’s so dry and so relentlessly cold and precise that I think it really enhances the songs’ bleak themes and subject matters. More bass would’ve been to warm and comfortable.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

To be fair, if I'd been alive when it came out, I would have stopped whatever I was doing the minute I heard Sad But True and gone to the nearest music store to buy a copy of the whole album.

Sab But True was the last single from the album. You would have bought the album long before that because of how massive the other singles already were. It wasn't released as a single until 1993. Everyone pretty much had the album long before SBT was released.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

AJFA is actually my favorite of theirs. I’m a sucker for proggy stuff and the time changes and tricky drum arrangements on here are just so satisfying for me. Plus I actually kinda dig the production? It’s so dry and so relentlessly cold and precise that I think it really enhances the songs’ bleak themes and subject matters. More bass would’ve been to warm and comfortable.

i mean everybody always points a big fat finger at the production.  and honestly?  it's an oversold criticism.  it's not AMAZING.  but man oh man it's not awful.  People need to cut that out.  cause it's not that bad.

Mick

• Like 2

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

i mean everybody always points a big fat finger at the production.  and honestly?  it's an oversold criticism.  it's not AMAZING.  but man oh man it's not awful.  People need to cut that out.  cause it's not that bad.

Mick

I've been saying that for 25 years. Pretty much when the production criticism started to become more widely known. No bass in the sound? Boo f***ing hoo! The songs are great and the best element of the band, James riffs, are front and center and crushing as hell. I don't hear how having more audible bass would have made the album any better than it already is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I've been saying that for 25 years. Pretty much when the production criticism started to become more widely known. No bass in the sound? Boo f***ing hoo! The songs are great and the best element of the band, James riffs, are front and center and crushing as hell. I don't hear how having more audible bass would have made the album any better than it already is.

you know what my fav thing about the production is?  Lars' kick drum.  that thing is booming, lol at least on my CD.

i love it.

Mick

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

See I don't like the production on this album at all but I do the first two Testament albums and you are puzzled by that.

To each their own 😂

• Haha 1

Metallica-The Black Album (7/10)

yea this album should have been a great 8 or 9 songs not 12.  It is very front loaded the back last 3 or 4 is just a slog to get through.

the first 6 songs are ALL great to me than by nothing Else Matters i'm pretty much.  done.  by the end I hear Kirk's 156'th Wah wha solo i want to throw a brick.

Having said all that it did help bring them fans to broaden their appeal.  and some may not like that but.......uh.......nothing Else Matters (A-ha!!!!!!)

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Metallica-The Black Album (7/10)

yea this album should have been a great 8 or 9 songs not 12.  It is very front loaded the back last 3 or 4 is just a slog to get through.

the first 6 songs are ALL great to me than by nothing Else Matters i'm pretty much.  done.  by the end I hear Kirk's 156'th Wah wha solo i want to throw a brick.

Having said all that it did help bring them fans to broaden their appeal.  and some may not like that but.......uh.......nothing Else Matters (A-ha!!!!!!)

Mick

Nothing Else Matters sucks. Never liked the song from the first time I heard it and still don't today. Why the hell would anyone want to hear Metallica do a love ballad? Skip it next time you listen to the album. It's much better experience. Of Wolf and Man, The God That Failed and Misery are all really good not sure what you're problem is with those songs. Nothing Else Matters is the only song on it that kills the album. Should have given that sappy shit to Bon Jovi. At least a song like that would be acceptable coming from them.

• Like 1

Rush- Clockwork Angels 

Rush- Grace Under Pressure 

Two phenomenal albums. I am really appreciating CA more and more these days. The lyrics, the unique vocal phrasing and melodies, the bass lines...such an impressive, ambitious work of art!

• Like 7

21 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Sab But True was the last single from the album. You would have bought the album long before that because of how massive the other singles already were. It wasn't released as a single until 1993. Everyone pretty much had the album long before SBT was released.

Definitely true for me.  A drummer in a garage band I played in loved Metallica when Kill 'Em All first came out.  It just wasn't for me (I have since grown to appreciate their early albums).  The black album was the first album of theirs I bought, because it was more in line with my tastes.  

Testament-Formation of Damnation (10/10)

Machine Head-of Kingdom and Crown (7/10)

The MH is slipping for me.  it's not bad.  but i feel like.........Why would i play this one when i have The Blackening?  it's a style they've done and done MUCH better, IMO.

Mick

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Rush- Clockwork Angels 

Rush- Grace Under Pressure 

Two phenomenal albums. I am really appreciating CA more and more these days. The lyrics, the unique vocal phrasing and melodies, the bass lines...such an impressive, ambitious work of art!

Clockworks always been a top 3 for me. If there was ever a perfect album to end a legendary bands career on this is the one.

• Like 3

Elton John - Don’t Shoot Me, I’m Only The Piano Player

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Coldplay - Parachutes

Someone encouraged me to try writing a mashup of Elderberry Wine from the Elton album and Lilac Wine from the Jeff album, which is what I spent last night doing. Thus my first two listens today.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked