Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

5 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh you know me, I'm no Muse fan but LOOK AT MY TASTES, some of my favourite artists are very derided.

I think you'd love them live.

Lol, yes it’s true. But only being into the critical darlings of the world is no fun. I’m really hoping to see them on this album cycle. They have some small club shows announced that aren’t on good days of the week or anywhere near me that I don’t think I can do, but there’s yet to be any major US tour dates announced.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Lol, yes it’s true. But only being into the critical darlings of the world is no fun. I’m really hoping to see them on this album cycle. They have some small club shows announced that aren’t on good days of the week or anywhere near me that I don’t think I can do, but there’s yet to be any major US tour dates announced.

If it means anything, my dislike of Muse after a certain period is no different to In Flames fans acting like they turned shit after 2000. Yes I'm vocal, but just always love what you love!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chicken hawk said:

I saw Mr. Big  way back on May 23, 1981. Long Time ago.  :wave:

Wasn't Paul Gilbert about 15 in 1981? And Billy Sheehan hadn't even had the chance with DLR yet, Van Halen were still together! Vai was still in Zappa! Maybe you mean 1991?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

If it means anything, my dislike of Muse after a certain period is no different to In Flames fans acting like they turned shit after 2000. Yes I'm vocal, but just always love what you love!

What do you think of the lead vocals of Ted Leonard?

On 9/6/2022 at 3:06 PM, bluefox4000 said:

Muse

Showbiz (8/10)

Origin of Symmetry(9/10)

Absolution (9/10)

Black Holes and Revelations (10/10)

the Resistance (7/10)

The 2nd Law (4/10)

As you can clearly see no i'm not bulshitting.  I WAS indeed a Muse fan.  i love the first 4 and think they hold on really well.  they're fun inventive interesting and engaging .

However round about the resistance I get the first taste of the shift that'd be coming.  we get the first rah-rah anthem with that stomping beat that Muse would re-use over and over and over again.  i'm assuming that wwill continue till madonna has a new hit album.

It's on The Resistance too where they go all in on the We can be the new Queen policy and it just fails.

The 2nd Law was my first What da f**k moment with Muse.  This album is ten years old and it sounds 100. it aged like sour milk.

i stopped after the 2nd law cause i know where the story goes.

but Yes i did and still do love the first 4.

Mick

Whilst I disagree with you about
Muse’s more recent albums including the brand new one LOL ! :pirate:

which I really like & already prefer to Simulation Theory… 

…. However , I DO agree with you Sir.Mick that  MUSE’s Best Album is indeed 

BH&R 👍😎:yes:

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 6:38 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Here’s how I rank them:

1. The Resistance

2. Origin Of Symmetry

3. Drones

4. Absolution

5. Black Holes & Revelations

6. Showbiz

7. The 2nd Law

8. Simulation Theory

Not sure where I’ll put the new one yet. It’s kinda not at all what I expected.

But with regards the new one

Captain EP … I personally thinks it’s much better than ST… do you agree ? 🤔

Currently I’d put it in their Top 5 easy :yes:

👍😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

You’ve got to go see them in concert EP.

I’ve seen them 3 times live … they are musically note perfect 🎸 play the songs as per the record to begin with , and then sometimes add interesting improvised endings.

plus they put on an amazing show visually too

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Whilst I disagree with you about
Muse’s more recent albums including the brand new one LOL ! :pirate:

which I really like & already prefer to Simulation Theory… 

…. However , I DO agree with you Sir.Mick that  MUSE’s Best Album is indeed 

BH&R 👍😎:yes:

i don't want to seem like i'm hating you like what you like.  it's Just later Muse is not my cup of tea.

but Muse's first 4.....:wub::yes:

Mick

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i don't want to seem like i'm hating you like what you like.  it's Just later Muse is not my cup of tea.

but Muse's first 4.....:wub::yes:

Mick

No worries Mick .. I do get it LOL 👍😎

I feel the same way about Queensrÿche 

( I.e Love their first 4 albums ️… but then went right off them …. I recently revisited their 5th album ‘ Promised Land ‘ and found it to be better than I remembered it being … but still not as good as 1-4 )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

But with regards the new one

Captain EP … I personally thinks it’s much better than ST… do you agree ? 🤔

Currently I’d put it in their Top 5 easy :yes:

👍😎

Definitely tops Simulation Theory, which I have a lot of love for but has a handful of tracks even I’m not really in love with (Thought Contagion, Dig Down, and to a lesser extent Get Up And Fight). It’s very hard for me to stack it up against anything else this early on though, especially as I’ve found over the years I always underrate The 2nd Law when I haven’t heard it in awhile. T2L was the first new Muse album released since I became a fan, and Madness being as omnipresent as a Muse song can be gave me a lot of good memories of that album being around. I think I’m going to have to live with WOTP for a few months at least before I know how it fares.

3 hours ago, treeduck said:

Wasn't Paul Gilbert about 15 in 1981? And Billy Sheehan hadn't even had the chance with DLR yet, Van Halen were still together! Vai was still in Zappa! Maybe you mean 1991?

Yes Your right.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicken hawk said:

Yes Your right.   

I knew that was the case, I was just having fun with the idea of a 15 year old Paul Gilbert kicking ass in 1981! Although he did phone up Mike Varney and volunteer to replace Randy Rhoads in Ozzy in 1982, so he was almost there.

• Like 4

Motley Crüe - Shout At The Devil (pleasantly surprised me today, usually this is underwhelming, but I was really feeling the tightness of the band this time... Vince Neil also does some of his best work here I guess)

Ozzy Osborne - Bark At The Moon (lots of longish tunes on this one, and Jake E Lee has some incredible speed and sick licks, but I do see why it's not quite as beloved as Blizzard and Diary)

Dio - The Last In Line (all killer no filler, nothing else much to say, except I love the moments when they stretch things out... oh also Vivian Campbell slays all over this thing)

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (well most of it, I got interrupted a couple times and left it playing in my earbuds that I wasn't wearing. Anyway still one of the best.)

Anthrax - The Sound Of White Noise 

I was preparing all day to listen to this when I got home since I picked it up on double white colored vinyl at Amoeba in San Francisco last weekend.  Was NOT disappointed. I've listened to it before, but never really paid much attention to it. This is massively good.  It may not have the hit potential of The Black Album or Countdown To Extinction, but it also doesn't hold back the full onslaught of anger and power where those records sometimes do.  And it sounds spectacular.  John Bush's voice fits the music so well, even a hardcore Belladonna fan like me can't help but wonder if Bush wouldn't have been the better choice for some of the material on Persistence Of Time, had there been a choice at the time.  Dan Spitz's last record with the band also sees him play some wicked, gnarled up solos more in the vein of Kim Thayil than Marty Friedman, and I love it.  Speaking other 90s bands, the album feels in places like a seamless blend of Alice In Chains at their heaviest and Pantera at their most melodic, like a missing link between the two. But where both of those bands will slow things down to make you feel the weight of their pain, Anthrax have too many good riffs to consider dropping the speed for more than a single song.  The album generally kicks along at a quick pace, sometimes breaking into a frantic thrashing, sometimes leaning off the gas just a bit for a thick groove.  This is easily a contender for their best album, along with Among The Living and Persistence Of Time.  Segue, if/when you check out Anthrax, make this one of the first ones you hear.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Motley Crüe - Shout At The Devil (pleasantly surprised me today, usually this is underwhelming, but I was really feeling the tightness of the band this time... Vince Neil also does some of his best work here I guess)

Ozzy Osborne - Bark At The Moon (lots of longish tunes on this one, and Jake E Lee has some incredible speed and sick licks, but I do see why it's not quite as beloved as Blizzard and Diary)

Dio - The Last In Line (all killer no filler, nothing else much to say, except I love the moments when they stretch things out... oh also Vivian Campbell slays all over this thing)

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (well most of it, I got interrupted a couple times and left it playing in my earbuds that I wasn't wearing. Anyway still one of the best.)

Anthrax - The Sound Of White Noise 

I was preparing all day to listen to this when I got home since I picked it up on double white colored vinyl at Amoeba in San Francisco last weekend.  Was NOT disappointed. I've listened to it before, but never really paid much attention to it. This is massively good.  It may not have the hit potential of The Black Album or Countdown To Extinction, but it also doesn't hold back the full onslaught of anger and power where those records sometimes do.  And it sounds spectacular.  John Bush's voice fits the music so well, even a hardcore Belladonna fan like me can't help but wonder if Bush wouldn't have been the better choice for some of the material on Persistence Of Time, had there been a choice at the time.  Dan Spitz's last record with the band also sees him play some wicked, gnarled up solos more in the vein of Kim Thayil than Marty Friedman, and I love it.  Speaking other 90s bands, the album feels in places like a seamless blend of Alice In Chains at their heaviest and Pantera at their most melodic, like a missing link between the two. But where both of those bands will slow things down to make you feel the weight of their pain, Anthrax have too many good riffs to consider dropping the speed for more than a single song.  The album generally kicks along at a quick pace, sometimes breaking into a frantic thrashing, sometimes leaning off the gas just a bit for a thick groove.  This is easily a contender for their best album, along with Among The Living and Persistence Of Time.  Segue, if/when you check out Anthrax, make this one of the first ones you hear.

I'm not sure of it's availability anymore but Anthrax did release an album in 2004 called The Greater Of Two Evils. It was re-recordings of older songs with Bush on vocals if you're curious as to what that stuff may have sounded like with him.

15 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I'm not sure of it's availability anymore but Anthrax did release an album in 2004 called The Greater Of Two Evils. It was re-recordings of older songs with Bush on vocals if you're curious as to what that stuff may have sounded like with him.

I've heard about it before but I think I've only ever heard one tune from it, and that was a long time ago. I'll check it out.

Machine Head- The Blackening 

It seems a shame that their fantastic new album only put me in the mood to play this classic more 😂

• Like 2

Jethro Tull- This Was 

Decided out the blue today that I am going to start exploring Jethro Tull. I gave them a marathon a good eight years ago, remember only positive things.

Anyway, this debut is really good. I really enjoyed this! What do others think of This Was?

• Like 1

Blind Guardian- The God Machine 

This album is breathtaking. Their heaviest album in years, and I'd argue their most accomplished record of the past twenty years. 

35 years young, how is it possible Blind Guardian still sound like a band with much more left to give? This is no nostalgia offering, this isn't an album of fan servicing goods. This is a true BG classic and close to the best they have ever done. 

Blind Guardian- Battalions Of Fear 

Does this album count as thrash metal? I think it does. If so, hands down my favourite thrash debut.

• The topic was locked