Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

3 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Wow.  We couldn't see things more differently.  It might be the worst song on that album IMO.

All the fun vocal tricks, the totally rocking groove, the guitar solo, it’s absolutely killer to me. My money for least great on Pump would either to go to My Girl or Voodoo Medicine Man. Just a bit more standard fare than the rest of the album.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

All the fun vocal tricks, the totally rocking groove, the guitar solo, it’s absolutely killer to me. My money for least great on Pump would either to go to My Girl or Voodoo Medicine Man. Just a bit more standard fare than the rest of the album.

Too "herky jerky," for me.

13 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I read Aerosmith and the album title looks like an Iron Maiden album title and I was very confused for a second.

Oops! Yeah  I can see how that would  happen. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Musically the groove is fine but the lyrics are cringey. They were bad back then and now they're even worse. The other thing I really have against it is that I was in a bar band at the time & we had to play it every single set as it was such a hit. Just got sick of it really.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Wow.  We couldn't see things more differently.  It might be the worst song on that album IMO.

I stopped buying Aerosmith albums after Permanent Vacation.  I kept seeing them live but didn't buy any of their albums.

They are still a great live band. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turbine Freight said:

Musically the groove is fine but the lyrics are cringey. They were bad back then and now they're even worse. The other thing I really have against it is that I was in a bar band at the time & we had to play it every single set as it was such a hit. Just got sick of it really.

Imo they’re not significantly worse than any other 80s Aerosmith lyrics. Steven’s not a poet, and even in the 70s he was only a little more clever.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Imo they’re not significantly worse than any other 80s Aerosmith lyrics. Steven’s not a poet, and even in the 70s he was only a little more clever.

I think 70s and early 80s Tyler used some pretty amusing metaphors for sexual activity (though not in LiaE IMO).  I myself prefer that to a person with limited understanding of social issues spouting off about them. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I think 70s and early 80s Tyler used some pretty amusing metaphors for sexual activity (though not in LiaE IMO).  I myself prefer that to a person with limited understanding of social issues spouting off about them. 

What, Janie’s Got A Gun? 

2 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

That song wasn't in my mind when I posted.  That's better than LiaE, though.

Which one were you thinking of?

Green Day - Dookie

Green Day - Nimrod

Eve 6 - Eve 6

REM - Life’s Rich Pageant

The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Which one were you thinking of?

I wasn't necessarily thinking of any particular song at all.  I was talking more about the tendency of musicians who have unfathomable wealth (which means very few social conditions directly affect their lives in any appreciable fashion), who have, at best, a superficial understanding of political issues, suggesting that there are simple answers to those issues.  I'd rather such people limit their lyrics to things like, "the girl is soakin' wet, no tongue's drier than mine."  Which is to say, things that they conceivably understand. 

The Halo Effect- Days Of The Lost 

This melodic death metal supergroup is made up of former members of In Flames and current singer of Dark Tranquillity (and also, the first In Flames vocalist). This is a really fresh take on the style both bands pioneered in the nineties, and it is my most anticipated new release this year. It doesn't disappoint at all. Fans who dislike where In Flames are now can rejoice, and fans like me who love all IF and DT have done can celebrate a new release from a great new band.

Also, yes, they named themselves after said Rush song.

Savatage- Gutter Ballet

Judas Priest- Sin After Sin 

Rush- Moving Pictures 

Iron Maiden- Iron Maiden 

Played these all the last two days. These four bands are phenomenal to me, I hadn't played Savatage in a while. I love them intensely, and I stupidly forgot whilst I was enjoying Blind Guardian and Rhapsody Of Fire so much.

• Like 6

• The topic was locked